Sign in to follow this  
Discobolus

Bamford v Van Wolfswinkel

It seems like Harry Kane is the yardstick from which we measure other players?

"He looks better than Kane did in his loan spell so he must be good".

Kane made a total of 3 appearances for us. His first game was a brief substitute appearance. His second game he got injured. His third game was a brief substitute after returning from injury. Days later Spurs exercised their option to recall him.

As for Bamford he''s clearly got something, but whether or not that something can really turn into anything remains to be seen.

As for RVW, I would rather we gave Elmander another shout.

There was also the Luton cup game start, replaced by holt, - understandable why we would all want to erase that team performance from our memories

[quote user="STAN"]It seems like Harry Kane is the yardstick from which we measure other players? "He looks better than Kane did in his loan spell so he must be good". Kane made a total of 3 appearances for us. His first game was a brief substitute appearance. His second game he got injured. His third game was a brief substitute after returning from injury. Days later Spurs exercised their option to recall him. As for Bamford he''s clearly got something, but whether or not that something can really turn into anything remains to be seen. As for RVW, I would rather we gave Elmander another shout.[/quote]

I can''t see that anyone said that "quote" you''ve used anywhere on this thread Stan... as well as your facts about his loan spell being wrong.

But anyway, the point about Kane is that a young loan player can look like dross on a brief loan spell and turn out to be actually a rather good Premier league player.  I remember seeing Kane play for us at West Ham and he simply looked overawed by the occasion.  And at Palace the home crowd clearly got to Bamford. It happens to inexperienced players.

So maybe Kane should be the yardstick for measuring the foolishness of anyone who wants to write-off Bamford based on his limited game time with us.

I''m sure the rule will be run over Wolfwinkie in the summer, if AN wants him here he''ll be given a fair shot - we don''t know whether it was the agent/player wanting out this season or if AN deemed him surplus to requirements.

As others have pointed out we literally only own Cam Jam and Wolfswinkie as our only two strikers - therefore we might have to give him a good go in pre-season anyway. Maybe he''ll find his tune in the Champ - you never know.

[quote user="AJ"]I''m sure the rule will be run over Wolfwinkie in the summer, if AN wants him here he''ll be given a fair shot - we don''t know whether it was the agent/player wanting out this season or if AN deemed him surplus to requirements. As others have pointed out we literally only own Cam Jam and Wolfswinkie as our only two strikers - therefore we might have to give him a good go in pre-season anyway. Maybe he''ll find his tune in the Champ - you never know.[/quote]

Well, he did score against Rotherham this season....

I think there''s too much water under the bridge.  The only way I think we could use him would be as a second striker on the bench to come on in games when we''re behind.  And I just can''t see that working.

Is this the final year of his contract ?  I can see us doing a "release by consent" deal over the summer.

lets face it its the people who provide the chances for the strikers we need to look at ,

but if you look at the strikers , pace is a big factor vardy / kane they create chances because of their pace if our strikers played for leicester / spurs they wouldnt get onto half the chances they get as still be near halfway line plodding along

I wouldn''t say pace is one of Kane''s strengths. I mean he''s not slow but he''s a willing runner with great movement.

ICF, fair point he did get a chance at the start of this season...

I would imagine he''d only leave by mutual consent if he found a team to take him off our hands permanently (obviously we''d let him leave to get him off our wages) - I''m not sure too many would be queuing up for him

[quote user="AJ"]ICF, fair point he did get a chance at the start of this season... I would imagine he''d only leave by mutual consent if he found a team to take him off our hands permanently (obviously we''d let him leave to get him off our wages) - I''m not sure too many would be queuing up for him[/quote]

Yeah I expect we''ll look for a club to take him on loan again, as a permanent move seems unlikely given his wages.  I can understand he''d be reluctant to take a pay cut as you can''t imagine him getting another deal at the wages we must be paying.  It may end up that we just pay up his contract and release him, perhaps trying to do a deal where we pay less than his full wages for the season and he''s then a free agent. 

I remember seeing him play in that pre-season friendly (was it vs Seville - can''t remember the name) and he looked like a technically accomplished footballer and a decent finisher.  However, he was/is totally unsuited to playing in the English game (at any level I would say).  But especially in the Premiership in a team playing Hughton''s brand of football.  I remember the statistic about him having the fewest touches of any player in the Prem, and seeing him run endlessly down the channels for balls that were never delivered.  All very depressing.

Very true and sums it all up nicely for me. Whilst he was technically good, and look fabulous on paper, it just didn''t work out for him and it''s a shame it''s dragged on as much as it has really but if he wants the wages I suppose he''s entitled to him. He was hitting up the headlines, on the verges of getting into the Dutch international squad and now look at it all. It''s depressing for us, but must be even worse for Ricky himself! Career suicide is what it has ended up as!

[quote user="AJ"]Very true and sums it all up nicely for me. Whilst he was technically good, and look fabulous on paper, it just didn''t work out for him and it''s a shame it''s dragged on as much as it has really but if he wants the wages I suppose he''s entitled to him. He was hitting up the headlines, on the verges of getting into the Dutch international squad and now look at it all. It''s depressing for us, but must be even worse for Ricky himself! Career suicide is what it has ended up as![/quote]

I don''t buy the argument that he is technically good. His ball control looked sub-standard with us, and since then he has played in two leagues - the French and the Spanish - that are supposed to favour technically-skilled players, and yet has been a failure.

Thought he looked technically good when he stuck away that tap-in against Cambridge United.  I doubt Harry Kane could have tapped it in better.