Sign in to follow this  
Discobolus

Bamford v Van Wolfswinkel

I don''t know if the loan fee City paid for Bamford matches the fee the club received for RVW if it was higher might have been more beneficial to have recalled RVW and not got Bamford, from his impact so far not a lot of difference between them, but hindsight is a great thing.

With the benefit of hindsight, we should''ve put the Naismith fee and loan fee for Bamford towards getting in Afobe. Gifted him to Bournemouth though. I think Bamford was worth the punt. Hasn''t worked out for him and I don''t think it will until he gets a permanent move from Chelsea. Doesn''t seem the sort of lad that deals well with pressure. Too relaxed for me. Too laid back. Not enough grit. Still better than Ricky though.

I think, at least, Bamford has shown (albeit in the Championship) that he has attributes suited to the English game.Nothing I saw from Ricky made me think that he did.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]With the benefit of hindsight, we should''ve put the Naismith fee and loan fee for Bamford towards getting in Afobe. Gifted him to Bournemouth though. I think Bamford was worth the punt. Hasn''t worked out for him and I don''t think it will until he gets a permanent move from Chelsea. Doesn''t seem the sort of lad that deals well with pressure. Too relaxed for me. Too laid back. Not enough grit. Still better than Ricky though.[/quote]So you have it on good authority, that Afobe wanted to come here?

Now that would be some good H/T entertainment, although it''d probably descend into scratching, name-calling and hair-pulling.

Apples

Apples

We could''ve had him for £12 in the summer apparently. Stopped our bidding at 10. Players will go to clubs that are prepared to pay the money 👍🏼

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]We could''ve had him for £12 in the summer apparently. Stopped our bidding at 10. Players will go to clubs that are prepared to pay the money 👍🏼[/quote]I''m glad we did. He''s not worth 12 million.

Nah should''ve signed him. His goals earned Borenemouth crucial points. The extra 2m is nothing compared to what we''ll lose out on. No guarantees he''d have performed here but you can say that about any player you sign.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]Nah should''ve signed him. His goals earned Borenemouth crucial points. The extra 2m is nothing compared to what we''ll lose out on. No guarantees he''d have performed here but you can say that about any player you sign.[/quote]Again though, you are assuming he wanted to come here. And in January Bournemouth were always going to be able to outbid us, especially on wages.Its really not as simple as you''re making it out.

We bid 10m so must have really wanted him. I''m not saying it was simple but the money was there to spend. Just imagine if we''d bought Klose and Afobe in the summer. Not that easy I know but just imagine if we were prepared to actually pay the going rate for players. Just imagine.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]We bid 10m so must have really wanted him. I''m not saying it was simple but the money was there to spend. Just imagine if we''d bought Klose and Afobe in the summer. Not that easy I know but just imagine if we were prepared to actually pay the going rate for players. Just imagine.[/quote]Just imagine if we had bought a Championship striker, unproven in the Premiership, for 10 million quid, and he flopped.Just imagine[:)]

Poor argument from you there, especially when the player has actually gone on to do good things in this league for another club. Also, the market has changed a bit. Lower leagues players are more expensive, meaning Premier League goalscorers are beyond us so the Afobe''s of this world are the types of players we should be looking at. Big miss.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]Poor argument from you there, especially when the player has actually gone on to do good things in this league for another club. Also, the market has changed a bit. Lower leagues players are more expensive, meaning Premier League goalscorers are beyond us so the Afobe''s of this world are the types of players we should be looking at. Big miss.[/quote]Plus Wolves didn''t want to let him go in the summer.Yeah I would have liked him to come here, but I can fully understand the reasons it didn''t happen, so I wouldn''t use it as a stick to beat anyone with.

I think that''s it - Bamford has the attributes which could make him successful in the Prem. RVW has failed and the reasons are clear and are not going to change. To bring him back would have been a bizarre move.

lol

After he played in a couple of games Bamford was described in a thread about him as one of our best players and we must sign him ?

One bad game and he''s rubbish. Looks to me like lets use his recent game to beat the club with and forget the 2 games before - O well his stats in the championship look much better than Afobe''s

Is van wolfswinkel the yardstick of which we measure every player from now on?

I think we could make him a unit of measurement and properly standardise him

E.g 1 van wolfswinkels(Vww)

Grant holt = 50 Vww

The system we play requires an all rounder, someone with strength, technique, pace and a bit of "street wise"

That we know. Neither Bamford nor Wolfswinkel appear to be the answer. Haller might have been our best bet, or perhaps Destro but the fact is neither wanted to join us.

Instead we hoped plan B of Naismith supporting the mostly capable but limited Mbokani would work. It appears to have not worked enough though.

I think ideally, if we''d got one of the more complete strikers, we could have used Wes a bit more in the attacking mid role.

Fact is though, neither of the strikers in the title are the answer.

I don''t buy the argument that we lost interest in Afobe. I suspect we fell victim to our tendency to drag out transfer negotiations with incremental bids. Bournemouth wanted him, nipped in and bought him with the deal being done quickly.

£10 million for Afobe or £8 million for Naismith who is not a prolific goal scorer and is 30. Another point is that if we are relegated Afobe is a proven Championship goal scorer.

This comparison is very harsh on Bamford.  He''s also a proven championship striker, and showed last season that he has a striker''s instinct (I guess we all remember him making mincemeat of us at CR, although fortunately he was injured for the playoff final).  By that I mean that his focus was getting into dangerous places and getting a shot away whenever and wherever possible.  Not for him the endless ball holding in unproductive areas that epitomises our front play nowadays.  It seems to me that we were too ready to trash him after very little game time (like a certain other...).  I frankly doubt that with similar game time, even in front of premiership defences, he would have yielded the poor return that our regular strikers have this season.  

[quote user="GJP"]I hope we keep hold of Bamford. He''s got ability.[/quote]I agree. But a lot depends on how much game time we give him between now and the end of the season.I can''t see him making the grade at Chelsea.

I think Bamford looks better than Harry Kane did during his loan spell with us....

Like any young English player he''s going to struggle to break in at Chelsea.  It would be great to have him if we go down.  If not, it''s hard to say from the limited game time he''s had and to write him off on one game where the crowd had a real go at him is daft.  He''s got potential I would say.

"I think, at least, Bamford has shown (albeit in the Championship) that he has attributes suited to the English game.

Nothing I saw from Ricky made me think that he did."

Good to see Bamford gets judged on his performances in a top 6 championship side and Wolfswinkel gets judged on playing up top on his own in a struggling prem side. Little bit different.

And just for the record neither of these 2 are suited for playing up top on there own in a prem side fighting relegation.

Isn''t there a 2 or 3 year difference between the age Kane was here and what Bamford is now. Be amazed if Bamford went on and did what Kane is doing now. Well that certainly won''t happen at Chelsea.

We might find out how good the Wolf is in the Champs next season as he will be one of only two forwards left at the club!

Doubt we will keep him in the champ neither Lafferty. Neil didn''t fancy either of those last time round in the champ. Think RVW wages are pretty high.

Be a busy summer of recruitment. The prices rhodes, mccormack and gray are going for it might have to be a very expensive one to.