Sign in to follow this  
YorkshirePudding

Poll - With 4 games to go, do you think we will survive?

After defeats against Palace and Sunderland which totally killed any momentum we had, not sure why people suddenly think we''re about to get a result at Arsenal, home against United, Watford and Everton. Not happening.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]After defeats against Palace and Sunderland which totally killed any momentum we had, not sure why people suddenly think we''re about to get a result at Arsenal, home against United, Watford and Everton. Not happening.[/quote]Exactly this , if you cannot beat or draw against some of the worst sides the Premiership has seen how on earth are we supposed to get results against Arsenal, Man U or Everton  ? we have not got a hope in hell . May beat Watford if their minds are on the cup but thats not a given either .

While it is still possible and guess we''re technically in the driving seat I have to vote yes. I could not vote any other way. As fans I think we have to believe.

Just voted, somewhat surprised 30% of the 160 votes cast believe we''ll stay up. I think we''ll finish 19th which is par for a team which failed to address its weaknesses last Summer. Sunderland to survive.

We tried to tackle this season with a bunch of players that took us down two seasons ago. This will be Bassong''s 4th relegation from the Premier League in 7 years. Tells its own story.

[quote user="CanaryOne"][quote user="Row D Seat 7"]After defeats against Palace and Sunderland which totally killed any momentum we had, not sure why people suddenly think we''re about to get a result at Arsenal, home against United, Watford and Everton. Not happening.[/quote]Exactly this , if you cannot beat or draw against some of the worst sides the Premiership has seen how on earth are we supposed to get results against Arsenal, Man U or Everton  ? we have not got a hope in hell . May beat Watford if their minds are on the cup but thats not a given either .[/quote]
I just have this feeling we will, we got results against United and Arsenal previously. I can understand why people think we will get relegated though

We''ve still got a chance but have missed several good ones before now, hence the general pessimism. I still think it''s about 50-50, which is better than before Man City.

So a 70-30 split towards going down then after 230+ votes.

I guess losing the last 2 and losing Klose will have jad some impact here but that just shows he have to get behind the lads more than ever!

Had we won on Saturday it would have been 70 -30 to survive.

That was a true 6 pointer, the reality is its out of our hands, if by some twist of fate we have it bag in our own hands, it''s down the manager, players and fans to push us over the line.

I''m always hopeful, but realistic to know it''s more likely to be relegation.

[quote user="CanaryOne"][quote user="Row D Seat 7"]After defeats against Palace and Sunderland which totally killed any momentum we had, not sure why people suddenly think we''re about to get a result at Arsenal, home against United, Watford and Everton. Not happening.[/quote]

Exactly this , if you cannot beat or draw against some of the worst sides the Premiership has seen how on earth are we supposed to get results against Arsenal, Man U or Everton  ? we have not got a hope in hell . May beat Watford if their minds are on the cup but thats not a given either .
[/quote]

Yeah - no way we''ll get any points against that lot this season.

Two draws, one win and a defeat against Watford knowing our team!

I''m afraid I voted no too, but with a heavy heart. I indicated in a previous post that a lot of the optimism post-Newcastle away was predicated on the growing influence of Klose and the apparent likelihood of dragging a free-falling Palace into the mix before putting some distance between us and Sunderland going into the final stretch. Instead we are left eating Palace''s dust and the ball has switched to Sunderland''s court with the small advantage and momentum we had built up lost. A large amount of confidence has gone with it.
My head knows that there are still enough points up for grabs and that none of the three sides in question are at all likely to win every game. It also knows that anything can happen in football and that there could well be surprise results (both positive and negative) for all of us. It also knows that form is temporary and the boys could win the next two, three or even four games. I know full well that Sunderland could well lose their game in hand and put us back in the driving seat. I know that Sunderland and Newcastle are still below us this late in the season because they have been just as poor at seeing out games as we have up to this point. I know that all three teams could conceivably lose all of our remaining games and even that would be enough for us to stay up. I know full well that the season is determined over 38 league games and not by the most recent two. There are so many perfectly logical reasons to remain optimistic.
However, my current negativity is based more on a gut feeling just from watching our matches and recent ones involving the North East teams. It just seems to me that the pendulum has swung with our two recent defeats; especially seeing Newcastle win so comfortably against Swansea and the Geordies playing with far more confidence and conviction against [and admittedly poor] Man City. It just feels as if we don''t have it in us to overcome the pressure and show the quality in the final third to get the points total we need to remain in the league. I''m not saying it''s not possible to stay up, just that my confidence in that outcome is now low.
I also acknowledge that the men on the field have to believe until our fate, whichever way it goes, is a mathematical certainty and not just hope like I do. I will, of course, cheer them every step of the way on match days and do what I can (within reason and decency, of course) to encourage them. I just fear that ultimately it will be in vain.
Maybe the right set of results over the next couple of weeks will rekindle my optimism. I really hope so.

[quote user="AJ"]I voted no too, anybody who managed just 3 points from Newcastle, Palace and Sunderland deserves to go down - and don''t get me started on the Aston Villa result...

That said, that''s my mind, my heart still wants Norwich to prove my mind wrong![/quote]

This. We don''t deserve to stay up. Then again, neither do Newcastle or Sunderland but they have managers who can organise and are familiar with what is now needed. We don''t.

I think we can beat Watford at home but I don''t see any other points and I don''t think 34 with a crap GD will be enough.

Just imagine though, if we get to next weekend, and Newcastle and Sunderland haven''t taken any more points.They are as inconsistent and fragile as we are, lets not build either of them up to be worldbeaters.[:)]

morty wrote the following post at 22/04/2016 11:07 AM:

Just imagine though, if we get to next weekend, and Newcastle and Sunderland haven''t taken any more points.

They are as inconsistent and fragile as we are, lets not build either of them up to be worldbeaters.

That scenario would put us right back in the driving seat, its definitely possible.

Both Sunderland and Newcastle will be bolstered by recent results but as we know, confidence is a fragile thing when you''re at the bottom and the mood can change very swiftly.

To be honest, I would be fairly surprised if the status quo is any different by the time we next play and I reckon our fate will revert back to our own hands. I just have this horrible feeling we don''t quite have enough in the tank to see it over the line. I don''t know if it is our less experienced manager or the last couple of results that is doing it, or perhaps the lack of goals sinc Newcastle. I think the biggest factor is the [likely] loss of Klose. If he were to make a surprise appearance in the matchday squad against Arsenal I think my optimism would improve greatly.Still, the defence we are left with did manage to garner some wins and the team as a whole some quite decent performances early in the season and I hope that the key players can hit some form for the final four games. I''m well aware that almost anything can happen over the last few games, so still hoping the lads can do it.Normally I am an optimist and I was sure we could avoid relegation the last time right up until it was a mathematical certainty. I don''t know why I feel so differently right now. I sure wish I didn''t; negativity sucks! This must be what daly and Highland feel like all the time, albeit without the bitterness and resentment mixed in. Eeeeuw; I hope I can shake it off!

It''s swaying backwards and forwards as usual.

Last week-end was a bit disastrous. This week-end could well see it all being back in our own hands, for what it''s worth.

Nobody can anticipate too much from our trip to the Emirates and the Manchester United game might be made harder if they fail to progress in the Cup. They will likely be more intent upon their final league position and they are becoming more capable by the week.

A point or two from these two games would greatly enhance our prospects.

With so many imponderables and things to take into account as either pluses or minuses in our quest for survival, I wouldn''t put my mortgage on it, especially as we seem to have completely lost our two most impressive defensive players for the final run-in.

Without Tettey and now Klose a difficult ask has become more so.

However, neither Watford nor Everton are showing much league form now so it might be possible to deduce that FA Cup commitments all-round could be of decent use to us.

It''s quite interesting and fun being the fan of a yo-yo Club, but I wish it were otherwise for a few seasons.

Repeat: without Tettey and now Klose a difficult ask has become more so.

Sunderland a couple of years ago at our expense, and history (e.g Leicester last year) shows that , at this time of the season, the unthinkable results happen!

Now this may be at our expense again, or it could be us, going against the ''form'' guide and pulling a rabbit out of the hat

It''s certainly not boring