Sign in to follow this  
Jezzard

Andre Marriner versus Jon Moss; Sam Allardyce versus Alex Neil.

So Jon Moss gets absolutely slated for his handling of Leicester - West Ham, while Big Sam gets the credit for masterminding Sunderland’s win with very little negative mention in the media about Marriner. It seems a case of one referee deciding in the last minute to even things up, and the other determined under no circumstances to be accused of evening things up even if to the point of knowingly making incorrect decisions.

The Wisdom penalty – everyone agrees it was a penalty. I’d say it was a soft, one in ten one. A penalty should always be given when there is contact and the defender doesn’t get the ball; a penalty may sometimes be given (excessive force) when the defender gets to the ball first. Give that Marriner didn’t award either on Mbokani or Bassong when the defender clearly didn’t get the ball, I can only assume that he missed Wisdom’s touch. I just don’t think he’s good enough to process the subtlety of excessive force if he can’t get the simple things right. Okay when we slow it down and see the studs up most people say penalty, but this is actually how many tackles finish up – we just don’t see slowed down replays when the ball has been smashed in to row Z. There was no excessive force – Wisdom was in control of his standing foot. Had Wisdom got better contact on the ball and it had gone for a throw it wouldn’t have been awarded. But you shouldn’t award a penalty based on how much of the ball the defender gets. No appeals from the players.

The second goal. Clear foul on Bassong, end of. Can’t believe he’s been criticised for not clearing earlier. He drew the challenge knowing he had control of the ball, and the only way he could lose it is if he were fouled. You can’t expect players to clear the ball as there’s a risk of being dispossessed if fouled. That’s just hindsight. Without the foul he’d have come away with the ball, and therefore the defence was out of position making Defoe’s finish easy. Almost identical to the foul on Klose for West Ham’s first goal in February.

Fouls on Mbokani and Bassong. Both clear penalties. Okay I wouldn’t expect to get the one on Bassong as he made no effort to stay up and he plays for NCFC , but why should he? If pushed with both feet off the ground you can’t get a header in. There was a similar one when Mbokani was hauled down at a corner. As for the one on Mbokani by Kaboul, that’s an easy ten out of ten decision.

So at 2-0 with 20 to play, that’s the end of the match. The referee decided the game and I can’t come to any other conclusion. In a low scoring sport in a match between two struggling teams, the first goal often wins. When 2-0 is decided by the referee and he then allows the opposition to foul in the box, NCFC had no chance. Sunderland were pretty awful prior to Mariner’s interventions playing long balls to Defoe that he failed to control.

As for Jon Moss I think he was spot on for the Vardy red (Vardy instigates contact – that is also an off the ball foul – essentially striking an opponent off the ball so he can go over) and for the West Ham penalty. These are brave decisions which should be applauded as both have been going on all season. He then bottled the Huth penalty claim (although Huth was also grappling) then panicked and gave Leicester a penalty. 4/10.

Marriner: Got all the decisions wrong, then was more concerned about his review and being accused of evening things up than he was about refereeing the match . Weak - 0/10. Still better than the -1/10 that I’d give Mark Clattenberg for his handling of West Ham v NCFC on NYD 2013 against er, Big Sam’s West Ham.

Big Sam: For buttering up and intimidating referees – 10/10. Why wasn’t he sent off in the first half for pushing away Jerome and Howson? It was in front of the fourth official and Marriner himself.

Alex Neil – 5/10. Without his best player, NCFC were slightly the better team until the second goal. Mannone made two good saves and we hit the post. 2/10 if you want a manager that constantly moans in the press and post-match, which would have ensured we didn’t have this refereeing performance.

So why does it always happen to us?

1) Our manager doesn’t have a reputation for complaining compared to Big Sam. Marriner therefore chooses between a possible 2-2 draw that may relegate Sunderland and Allardyce in the post-match interviews accusing him of evening things up continued for the following week and the next time he has to referee Sunderland, or Alex Neil having to answer questions about why NCFC failed to perform.

2) Similarly choosing between being possibly the man who is the reason for Big Sam’s only relegation, or for a relegation of a ‘Championship team’ and manager just passing through.

3) As we don’t have foreign owners, we’re not considered a big club, a growing club or an investment in the media, so no one minds of we go down.

Off the top of my head before this match, Jerome’s disallowed goal; no penalty at Newcastle or Chelsea, not one at Arsenal (blatant push by Flamini on Brady after throw in) or first push on Naismith v Liverpool in 1st half, not the one v Palace; offside goals by Newcastle, Stoke, Chelsea; penalties against v Leicester, Spurs & Bournemouth; foul on Klose for West Ham goal. (I’m sure there’s more).

versus

Howson’s handball v Newcastle, Rudd not being sent off v Bournemouth. (I’m not sure there’s more).

No conspiracy theories, no betting patterns, just referees choosing the quiet(er) life. And who can blame them? Well everyone I hope. They are meant to be amongst the top 17 officials in one of the best and richest leagues in the world.

I''d just like to say, our players don''t get "at" refs enough. Any other club for those decisions the players would be screaming at the ref giving him no choice. We''re just too bloody nice sometimes.

I''m still waiting for Allardyce to be hauled over the coals for manhandling people on Saturday.

A Manager can get fined/touchline bans etc for just criticising decisions,, yet full on ''hands on'' hasn''t even been mentioned in the press, and I wonder if Marriner has mentioned it, in his report...............

If Allardyce was going to be charged it would have been announced by now - he''s getting off scot free

Its all too depressing. We have not had the decisions or luck this season for whatever reason.

These things don''t always even themselves out unfortunately.

Jezzard - are you channelling me ?  because this is pretty much what I would have written if I''d had time to sit down and type it all.

Also I''d point out that the Howson "handball" is technically not a foul under the modern interpretation of the rule, and the Rudd non-sending off didn''t do us any good because we lost anyway.  Whereas all the "against" decisions have cost us points IMO.

Canary Wundaboy wrote the following post at 19/04/2016 1:32 AM:

I''d just like to say, our players don''t get "at" refs enough. Any other club for those decisions the players would be screaming at the ref giving him no choice. We''re just too bloody nice sometimes.

Naismith smith "got at" the ref a bit too much on Satuday for my liking.

I like the way he pushes the limits a bit, we need that, but he misjudge the ref on Saturday and it backfired.

You have forgotten Jurgen Klopp running and celebrating on the pitch at an away game the press thought that was wonderful.

Even up until Sunday I just thought we had had some appalling decisions not that we had been cheated. Then I have watched in amazement over the last few days. Now I dislike Vardy because of his dive against us, but I have to bring into serious question the additional charges brought against him. How many times have we seen the likes of Rooney ect clearly swearing at refs ? But that seems to be ok ? Then Friend was taken off the Spurs game last night but Oliver and Marriner were not taken off Norwich games ?

I dislike cheating however Fabregas has said he does not want Spurs to win the league and guess what Chelsea play both Leicester and Spurs lol. What you going to do about that PL ? provide 2 refs to stop chelsea throwing a game ? Or bring charges against Chelsea if they play brilliant against Spurs and rubbish or play all their kids against Leicester ?

Finally read something on here I fully endorse. Is NCFC just too soft on intimidation of visiting refs and players - I think this is one of my major criticism''s of Alex, but one never knows what goes on in the ref''s changing room!

Marriner was in Big Sam''s pocket from the tussle on the touchline in the 9th minute. FA only now getting round to "even" things up, but only by charging both clubs! Think about that ......

Yes, Naismith is leading from the front with his whinging - hopefully he can turn some of that energy into something more useful on the pitch but he is only one against many most weeks.

We have had some evening up of decisions but 1 penalty decision in our favour versus nine against and Howson''s handball do not get anywhere near balancing the books. Premier League wants us back in Championship and that''s where we are going.

Listening to Savage on the stream I watched and you can only say most of the "establishment" can''t wait to see us go too.

Maybe we get all the luck in the world at the Emirates on the 30th? Maybe scum play attacking football!

Having a Newcastle fan refereeing the Palace game the week after we had beaten them appears an unusual choice for the Premier League to make. Oh, and did he miss a crucial penalty?