Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

There's Four Games Left..

Why have so many of you given up all hope?

If we end up relegated you can have all summer for this misery fest. Is this extra three weeks so important that you can''t wait on events?

It''s not over.

Misery fest is a little harsh. Speaking for myself, I''m just calling it as I see it. It''s my opinion. Entitled to it. I think we will be relegated because we haven''t done enough this season. We have lost the majority of our key games. We''ve tried to tackle the league with (for the most part) players that for us relegated two seasons ago. That''s my opinion. If it''s not yours - fine. Not a misery fest though, is it?!

I think people are rightly very disappointed that we didn''t pick up enough points that most of us had predicted to say up in the previous 3 games. However, as you say we 4 games left and I''m sure everyone who attends the games home and away will not be any more reserved than usual. We''re still 1 point in front of the pack and is ours to lose presuming Sunderland lose their next match. However, it''s not for posters to tell others how they should feel about their team no matter how hard they try. (not that the OP was doing this)

Can someone tell me where the fat lady''s seat is? I turn the sound off on my stream so I won''t hear her when she sings, but I''ll be looking out for her .......

Well from what I''m seeing tonight I can''t see the Lardy Toon boys getting much change out of Liverpool.

I thought misery fest was being polite. What about Highland prematurely ejaculating over the straw poll? Yes, misery fest was extremely kind in that respect.

Haha does make me laugh how *certain* fans want to be seen as THE positive one. The one who looks down on other who dare to have an opinion that might be different to their opinion.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]Haha does make me laugh how *certain* fans want to be seen as THE positive one. The one who looks down on other who dare to have an opinion that might be different to their opinion.[/quote]In your own words, its my opinion, I''m entitled to it.I''ll stick by being positive over being a whiney defeatist, any day.[:)]

Its about being a realist or living in some make believe fantasy world , anybody with two eyes can see we are not good enough for this league never have been under the Smiths leadership and never will be .

I''d love to believe we could do it. But seeing us lose so often even when we''re obviously giving our all and are set up well in so many crucial games this year has made me believe we just can''t get the results we need.

If the next four teams we play don''t really turn up then we have a chance. I hate to say that, but when we play opponents on their game we always lose. We play 4 really good teams next, i just can''t see us doing it.

If we somehow pull it off it would be our greatest achievement since the ''93 season.

Sorry but I think we''ll go down and don''t particularly agree with posters labelling others as miserable etc when they''re simply calling it as they see it.

Sure, there are those few who are super negative and contributing to an air of misery, but voicing huge concerns after the Sunderland game is completely fair enough IMO. And when you factor in the upturn in form of Newcastle and the Klose injury - on top of Saturday''s result - it feels like a very telling culmination of set backs. Momentum and confidence is so important in football and right now the 2 clubs below us have way more of both than we do!

As you often say Morty, there is a middle ground between the ultra positive and ultra negative. I''d see myself as a positive fan in most lights - I stuck behind Hughton longer than most etc - but fear we just aren''t quite good enough to stay up this season.

I truly admire your and Nutty''s optimism but, and I don''t like to say this, fear it is bordering on ignorance at times -- especially when you are ridiculing others for their opinions when they are merely being realistic and actually, in this instance at least, with the majority viewpoint!

It doesn''t mean I''m not going to hope that we can win our next match. It doesn''t mean I''m not going to hope that we can still stay up. Because I will still get behind the team and hope the same way as always.

It''s just, when I look at how things are panning out right now, I see relegation as being a likely outcome to our season.

Let''s be honest, even at stages during the season when we were in a better position there were people still saying the same old stuff so it''s been pretty much a misery fest all season.If you have a negative mindset, & you have already convinced yourself months ago that we are going to get relegated then it''s difficult to lose that defeatist attitude.Why can''t it be us that gets the best results and the points required and why can''t it be us who survives.It is not impossible.We are not currently in the bottom 3, Sunderland''s game in hand is not

easy and if they lost that then they''re position gets a lot worse and ours gets stronger.Over the remaining games, Newcastle & Sunderland are just

as likely as we are to screw up and we are just as likely as them to get an unexpected result.

Optimism on this forum, whether justified or not, will not put points on the board.

Currently Sunderland have the upper hand as their fate is in their own hands. For the same reason Newcastle are in the worst position by two points.

If Sunderland lose their extra game then we will be in the ascendancy. They will also lose their ''momentum'' such as it is.

With all three having a more or less equally difficult/easy run-in, it could be any one of the three who survives.

It can''t be called.

Saturday''s result was a crusher, and not entirely deserving. A point against the Gunners and positivity will be justified.

After we drew with Manchester City. Alex Neil kept emphasizing the next 4 games, which we are now at, We have gained 6 points out of a possible 12 in this period. If we can do the same over the next 4 games, we should be safe. 

I haven''t given up by any stretch of the imagination. I''ll have missed 5 games all season (in all competitions) by the time this is over. That''s not giving up.

However, you are entitled to be balanced and realistic as a supporter. That doesn''t make you a blubber or a pant wetter, or other derogatory terms that are thrown around on here.

I think being realistic, it''s going to be pretty tough from here. I note the bookies have us as favourites to be going down with Newcastle. Which I personally is about right based on the games left (both in number and in terms of opposition).

One of my big concerns is that Sunderland have two winnable home games against a Chelsea side with nothing to play for, who are experimenting and against an Everton side who have a real shortage available centre backs. Funes Mori''s suspension will unfortunately be concluded by the time we go there.

Given that the goal difference is effectively an extra point and given Sunderland''s other games I think it isn''t inconceivable that we will need around 6-7 points from these remaining games to beat the drop. That''s a tall order and will certainly require a win against Watford and we''ve realistically got to find a win from either Everton or Man Utd. Even then that may not be enough.

Regardless of what happens this season though. A major review needs to be done into our recruitment process this summer. As ultimately the failure to recruit wisely in key areas has left us in the position we find ourselves in now. But that I agree is for another day and another thread once this season is over.

its easy to see why fans are down; crucial key opportunities to gain some points against swansea, villa, palace and sunderland in recent weeks and not one game did we score or to be honest or look like taking a point.

yes we were in most of them but we didnt seem up for winning the game, merely containing, and obtaining a draw. Add in no creative spark and an unimaginative ineffective long ball spark it is hard to see where the required points are coming from.

Yet we have shown during the season that we can pick ourselves up; thats precisely what we have to do; and every one of the coming 4 games can provide us with points. If we can get some from 3 of them (the players are to inconsistent to apply themselves to a high standard for 4 consecutive games - graft simply isnt enough) we can finish 17th. I know I am in the minority thinking we can do it but its there to be taken. If the players want it - do they?

But right now we remain dependent on other result.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]its easy to see why fans are down; crucial key opportunities to gain some points against swansea, villa, palace and sunderland in recent weeks and not one game did we score or to be honest or look like taking a point.

yes we were in most of them but we didnt seem up for winning the game, merely containing, and obtaining a draw. Add in no creative spark and an unimaginative ineffective long ball spark it is hard to see where the required points are coming from.

Yet we have shown during the season that we can pick ourselves up; thats precisely what we have to do; and every one of the coming 4 games can provide us with points. If we can get some from 3 of them (the players are to inconsistent to apply themselves to a high standard for 4 consecutive games - graft simply isnt enough) we can finish 17th. I know I am in the minority thinking we can do it but its there to be taken. If the players want it - do they?

But right now we remain dependent on other result.[/quote]And if Sunderland lose their game in hand, its back in our own hands again.

The catalyst for the "fest" was the poor showing against Sunderland (which followed a poor showing against Palace), the fact these defeats came after excellent results against Man City, WBA and Newcastle appear to have intensified the feeling of anguish. Yes there are four games left and I personally remain hopeful we can garner enough points to stay up. I am all for being positive but the performance against Sunderland was simply not good enough and we need to ensure we play a lot better in those remaining four games. It will be interesting how I am pigeon holed after this post given that I have been labelled a "happy clapper" in the past!!............

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]its easy to see why fans are down; crucial key opportunities to gain some points against swansea, villa, palace and sunderland in recent weeks and not one game did we score or to be honest or look like taking a point. yes we were in most of them but we didnt seem up for winning the game, merely containing, and obtaining a draw. Add in no creative spark and an unimaginative ineffective long ball spark it is hard to see where the required points are coming from. Yet we have shown during the season that we can pick ourselves up; thats precisely what we have to do; and every one of the coming 4 games can provide us with points. If we can get some from 3 of them (the players are to inconsistent to apply themselves to a high standard for 4 consecutive games - graft simply isnt enough) we can finish 17th. I know I am in the minority thinking we can do it but its there to be taken. If the players want it - do they? But right now we remain dependent on other result.[/quote]

I can understand people feeling down, TBH I think the mindset for some types of City fans is that they revel in the misery, it''s not a coincidence City would attract some of those sorts of fans, let''s be honest.  But people do lose their sense of perspective.

Of these games I didn''t see Swansea, but the game at Villa was very even between two poor teams, decided by a goal for them from a set piece.  It could easily have gone the other way if we''d taken one of our chances in the first half.  Palace also was a very even game where they had one decent moment and we were denied a clear penalty.  Sunderland were given a penalty against us and the second goal shouldn''t have stood, while we were denied an equally clear penalty, the final scoreline was massively flattering for them.  So to say we never looked like taking a point from those games is just flat wrong IMO.  All of them were even games decided by a few incidents which could have gone the other way.  That''s football.  If too many of those incidents go against you, for a team like us it is going to make it very hard to survive.  I''m not saying there haven''t been mistakes made - clearly there have been, I posted about the failure to recruit a CB at the end of the summer transfer window.  But the margins are fine and it could easily have been so different.

And it''s interesting that people talk about Chelsea at home being a very winnable game but for some reason don''t think the same about Man U ?  Truth is, survival is going to come down to which of the 3 teams is able to take more of those sorts of opportunities.

[quote user="Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB"]The catalyst for the "fest" was the poor showing against Sunderland (which followed a poor showing against Palace), the fact these defeats came after excellent results against Man City, WBA and Newcastle appear to have intensified the feeling of anguish. Yes there are four games left and I personally remain hopeful we can garner enough points to stay up. I am all for being positive but the performance against Sunderland was simply not good enough and we need to ensure we play a lot better in those remaining four games. It will be interesting how I am pigeon holed after this post given that I have been labelled a "happy clapper" in the past!!............[/quote]Its perfectly understandable for people to be a bit down about it, and your stance is entirely reasonable, and pretty much reflects mine. But there are some that have been whingeing all season, and I can guarantee you that, if we down, they will be here with their "I told you so''s".

[quote user="CanaryOne"]Its about being a realist or living in some make believe fantasy world , anybody with two eyes can see we are not good enough for this league never have been under the Smiths leadership and never will be .[/quote]
Well call me Freddie F*king Four Eyes because I remember mid-table finished under both Lambert and Hughton.

In a strange way our inconsistency might be masking our true chances of staying up.

We have been very poor in some games but also played ok in others. I''m sure I''m not the only one who thought we were certs for relegation when we only took 1 point from 9 games and yet suddenly we were able to pull out some good results. We''ve done enough to still not be in the bottom three. Admittedly Sunderland was a body blow but what I''m saying is that that doesn''t mean we don''t have it in us to pick up unexpected points.

We have to keep pushing to the very end. The other two aren''t shoe-ins for more points and although the momentum is with them at the moment it just takes a couple of games for that to turn round.

This thread reminds me of the forthcoming EU referendum where the remain campaign wheel out the big guns but on here the KTF campaign have asked the Apologists to muster the fan base. [:D]

Why are we unhappy simply because this is Norwich City the perpetual antidote to a poor run, supporting this club has never been a long term fun fest. Some revel in this and the plucky efforts of little Norwich we deserve better.

I don''t think there are simple camps for KTF or Apologists or whatever.  Unlike the Hughton days it doesn''t really divide into those who want to get rid of the manager and those who want to keep him.

I see shades of opinion from those who have been convinced we are down from last summer (many of whom are simple trolls IMO like Keith Scott, who I don''t believe is a City fan at all) through those who have thrown in the towel more recently, to people who think we still have a decent chance and maybe a few who still think we will stay up.

All shades of opinion are valid (except the trolls).  Personally I think those who''ve written us off from an early part of the campaign are the sort to revel in the misery and I''m not interested.  To throw in the towel now and say we have no chance is a bit weak-minded I would say, but if people feel that way then fair enough.  I''m in the camp of thinking the odds are now against us but it''s not over, I''m going to the last four games and I''ll be going to games next year whether we''re in the Champs or the Prem.

Whatever the misery on here, I''d hope the fans will do their best to support City for those four games but we know a football crowd is a notoriously fickle bunch.

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]

I don''t think there are simple camps for KTF or Apologists or whatever.  Unlike the Hughton days it doesn''t really divide into those who want to get rid of the manager and those who want to keep him.

I see shades of opinion from those who have been convinced we are down from last summer (many of whom are simple trolls IMO like Keith Scott, who I don''t believe is a City fan at all) through those who have thrown in the towel more recently, to people who think we still have a decent chance and maybe a few who still think we will stay up.

All shades of opinion are valid (except the trolls).  Personally I think those who''ve written us off from an early part of the campaign are the sort to revel in the misery and I''m not interested.  To throw in the towel now and say we have no chance is a bit weak-minded I would say, but if people feel that way then fair enough.  I''m in the camp of thinking the odds are now against us but it''s not over, I''m going to the last four games and I''ll be going to games next year whether we''re in the Champs or the Prem.

Whatever the misery on here, I''d hope the fans will do their best to support City for those four games but we know a football crowd is a notoriously fickle bunch.

[/quote][Y]I think there is also a very marked difference in whether, or not, you actually go to games.Generally most people I have talked to, both home and away, have been fairly upbeat and realistic. There is nothing like the anger of Hughton''s / Adams'' relegation season.