Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Steve Morrison

Just scored his 18th of the season, scored in our last visit to Arsenal, how we could do with the same result OR BETTER.

He''s had a very strange career, always looked like he didn''t quite have enough when playing for us. 12 in 59 for us I believe - but his scoring record isn''t great across the board. Possibly found his level at league one and back at his beloved Millwall

Never mind Morrison, Cody McDonald just scored a screamer for the Gills apparently!!

Morison was doomed here the minute he was selected ahead of Grant Holt.  From that moment every mistake, every poor touch or missed chance was treated as a chance to boo him as a weird "supporters" way of demanding Grant Holt be brought on for him straight away.
Not his fault, and good luck to him.  In reality he is probably a mid-table Championship player but put in a decent shift for us in a thankless role.

No, I''m not.
Morison''s only sin was not being Grant Holt.
Once the crowd turned on him and made him scapegoat, I don''t blame him for giving less than 100%.  Sometimes our supporters resemble a bunch of spoiled children, the equivalent of "yeah, well, I didn''t ask to be born."

I think Mbokani would be great in Hughton''s system; just the type of player we needed at the time really. I obviously don''t know if he would''ve scored more than 5 goals, but my guess is that he would''ve done, especially with Naismith behind him.

In the latter stages of his time here, he seemed to need 5 chances to score a goal. A pretty similar shots to goals ratio to Cureton in his second spell! And its not as if he''s gone on to be prolific in any of his further moves.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="morty"]I wouldn''t say "no" to his ten Premiership goals right now...[/quote]

.......and as sure as night follows day..........[/quote]I state something factual?

While on the subject of goals and Hughton (remember him, the guy whose only instinct was said to be not to concede?), his team are currently top goal scorers in the Championship with 70 ............ [Y]

Have you seen the top of the Championship? Burnley, Boro and Brighton all on 87 points, and the fixture list has (as it does on a regular basis) thrown up an amazing last day encounter between Boro and Brighton. If you wrote it, nobody would believe you!

As an aside, Colin Wanker has kept Rotherham up! Can''t argue against his record, isn''t he a mate of Delia''s??

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]I am sure Brighton fans will be quite vocal come December.[/quote] There was a December four months ago Borkins. Maybe if they miss out on promotion Brighton fans will start saying "We should have sacked him in January"?

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="Katie Borkins"]I am sure Brighton fans will be quite vocal come December.[/quote] There was a December four months ago Borkins. Maybe if they miss out on promotion Brighton fans will start saying "We should have sacked him in January"?[/quote]It will be interesting, if promoted, if he has learned from last time.But I guess a lot depends on what finances he has available.That said, he bought Ricky, for a club record.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="Katie Borkins"]I am sure Brighton fans will be quite vocal come December.[/quote] There was a December four months ago Borkins. [/quote]
a) Well done on that observation
b) They won''t be scoring that many goals in the Premier League
c) My guess is their "free flowing" Championship style will be replaced by safety first turgid football resulting in discontent and misery
d) Hence my original post
e) Maybe stick to Gridiron.

[quote user="Katie Borkins"][quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="Katie Borkins"]I am sure Brighton fans will be quite vocal come December.[/quote] There was a December four months ago Borkins. [/quote]
a) Well done on that observation
b) They won''t be scoring that many goals in the Premier League
c) My guess is their "free flowing" Championship style will be replaced by safety first turgid football resulting in discontent and misery
d) Hence my original post
e) Maybe stick to Gridiron.
[/quote] Keep digging Bor, why don''t you?

There’s a fair bit on James Morison in a book I’ve read called Family, Life Death and Football by Michael Calvin’s on Millwall’s 2009/10 season, when City were in League 1. It’s a great read, well written and has some interesting stuff about a struggling then successful football club,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Family-Death-Football-Frontline-Proper/dp/1906850267

Below are quotes some paraphrased on Morison, some words from the “Chapter scapegoat to saviour”. The book is a dairy of the season this was from around Nov 2009

1 From the author: “Morison his pet project needed a reality check, was losing respect within the dressing room”

2 Kenny Jackett “He’s built like a brick shithouse, quick, strong fit but in too many games he doesn’t play his weight. He needs to use his physical attributes”

3 Kenny Jackett comparing him to Neil Harris, “It was an attitude of mind. If he throws his weight around fans will give him more of a chance”

4 Morison, “Even though I’m big, I don’t feel big but I’m starting to feel I’m a presence. On the pitch you have to be someone you’re not”

5 From the author: “He was growing into himself and was beginning to make those to judged him early change their minds”

My impression of Morison from the chapter; he was maybe slow to adjust to higher club (he had joined Millwall from Stevenage, before that Bishop’s Stortford). He may well have had the same sort of issues at City about moving on up in standard.

I think we’ve see all of 2-5 at Norwich in the year he was here. (Of course no idea about 1)

There was one game in his first season (Swansea at home I think) where Morison was brilliant. Totally bullied their defence, pulled them all over the place and created space and chances for others. I remember thinking that he looked like the real deal. Yet he couldn''t do it consistently and it could be really frustrating.

I agree with Bor though- some fans took against him simply for not being Grant Holt. I remember one game him and Holt had a bit of an argument on the pitch (nothing hugely out of the ordinary) and on the way out I heard one fan saying ''I HATE Morison, I''ve never hated a player as much as I hate him.'' Just bizarre.