Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

The fight to stay up

Having watched the Newcastle and Sunderland games this weekend ,one thing is clear they are fighting much more than us to stay up .Sunderland were unlucky not to win and a great comeback from Newcastle,when you compare that to some of our performances we lacked fight and seemed at times to give up.It has not been helped by the constant team changes ,don''t know what the stats are,but never seen so many team changes by city in a season. Leicester have to be admired ,hardly any changes and playing together as a team,brilliant performance today by them.

Hoping for a miracle over the next games and a sudden loss of form by the other two.

Just to clarify, were Newcastle fighting more than us when we scored a last minute winner against them two games ago?

I wouldn''t say they''re fighting more than us, I''d just say they are in better form. They see the $hit is about to hit the fan and the decent players (especially from Newcastle) who couldn''t be @rsed before are now starting to really try and dig the club(s) out of the mess.

I would argue that the only real error was that of Wisdom with his stupid challenge in the box.

I still think Bassong was fouled.

This is football - sometimes things go for you, sometimes they don''t. However, the fact we lost against Sunderland doesn''t mean we''re not fighting, or that it''s all over. I reckon we will spring a surprise or two in the next few games.

Against Sunderland I would say we were certainly unlucky to lose 0-3, but that Sunderland also deserved the win. AN I think will be disappointed with himself for how he set up the team tactically.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Against Sunderland I would say we were certainly unlucky to lose 0-3, but that Sunderland also deserved the win. AN I think will be disappointed with himself for how he set up the team tactically.[/quote]
Yes - naive and too open to the counter.  Sunderland''s tactics were basically to hoof it as far as they could and hope something happened, and oh boy didn''t that one pay off.

Sunderland counter attack well, we pretty much knew what they were going to do but couldn''t do enough to deal with it.

However if we had converted the territory we had, 14 corners, into goals then the story may have been different.

The first goal was crucial, sadly it came form a marginal penalty.

From seeing us all play in recent weeks I personally think Sunderland are the best equipped to stay up. Kone looks good, kirchoff looks a steal, cattermole is the man for these occasions, defoe is a constant goal threat and Allardyce never relegated in 20+ years of management.

Newcastle look ok. Thought Townsend was decent against us and Mitrovic proved how much of a nuisance he can be against us. But they don''t look good at the back at all. Colocini, Dummett, Taylor are all pretty rubbish.

We wouldve had a much better chance if Klose was fit & had that goalscorer.

But it''s football and you never know. I think a defeat next week could need us winning 3 wins from 3 to stay up.

That said, I think we were pretty dominant up to the penalty. Mannone made a couple of good stops from memory. If we were dominated from start to finish (thrashed, as some people seem to think we were), I could understand the point about the tactics.

The thing us, with our personnel, we are never going to have huge amounts of chances, so I guess AN either looks like a genius or a moron simply depending on whether our players take their limited chances or not. Add to that the fact that our best defender is likely out for the season and didn''t play, I think it''s harsh to suggest AN was massively at fault for the result.

It''s a good job the fight to stay up is in spite of previous games. Anyway, Sunderland have dropped 2 points since that game. We haven''t dropped any....

I don''t think AN was massively at fault, there weren''t many options personnel wise.

You can''t blame AN for Bassongs'' inability to move the ball on for example, we all knew he had the mistake in him but with Klose and Martin out what else could AN realistically do.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

It''s a good job the fight to stay up is in spite of previous games. Anyway, Sunderland have dropped 2 points since that game. We haven''t dropped any....

[/quote][:D][Y]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Brilliant, love the logic, but a point gained and their fate in their own hands......we need them to slip up more than us now.

But we can always hope, none of us can predict what will happen, but now Sundrland I''ll have the added pressure of getting out the bottom three! We have nothing to lose now.

Lets surprise everyone lets go and beat Arsenal and all the rest, yes I know asking for a lot ? You never know. We are in this position I''m afraid as we do not have a good strike force. Anyway there''s still hope ???

We were fighting for our lives Man, City, WBA & Newcastle which pulled us clear, then we took our foot of the gas. Now we are back in the bottom 3 maybe they will be fighting again.

Big Sam has got his team playing to their strengths but they certainly got the rub of the green against us. Our game plan out of the window with the pen and Bassong double whammy. There was no lack of effort on our part in the game just rotten luck and a lack of nous.

Hoping Stoke give a reaction as 3 successive drubbings are not acceptable to their manager and fans, even if you are on the beach. They have created pressure for themselves.

Over the years, teams have failed to get over the line despite seemingly being in the best position. There is something about being ''nearly there'' that makes teams sieze up. I reckon we had a touch of that v Sunlun. Not over yet