Sign in to follow this  
HampsteadCanary

What kind of team are we?

Seems like we''ve forgotten our identity as a team. I think Alex and the team got carried away with Mbokani''s heroics against WB, Man City and Newcastle, and started lofting the ball up to him. The problem is we''ve never really played like that, so the players aren''t tactically aware or athletic enough to get on to big D''s scraps as that''s not our usual style. He is also not mobile enough to win the ball, lay it off and get in the box.

It got me thinking that we are a bit of an in-between team in terms of our players and style. We''re not particularly athletic so we don''t out muscle teams, our stamina hasn''t been good enough a lot of the time to out work them and our movement is often not good enough to give players options. We''re severely lacking in pace up front, so we don''t really get in behind teams. I can''t think of the last time one of our players was one on one with the keeper!

That''s why we haven''t fared well, especially against the lower teams, because we haven''t found a principle or an identity about how we want to play and stuck to it. Therefore the players often look a bit confused as to how to go about their tasks. It''s very different to last year, when AN had the team set up to move the ball quickly and everybody knew their jobs. I know the premier league is a lot harder but that''s why we needed to be even more organised, even fitter, and even more committed to a way of playing.

Well VanWink, with most of our performances this season, you''re not far off. Although it''s fair to say there are some games we should have won and didn''t, and vice versa.

Do you agree with my point about the playing style and the attributes of our players though? Do you honestly think we have found a consistent, effective system for our squad?

Beat me to it "Move Klose".

I tell you what kind of team we are though....

Man for man (with perhaps Afobe as the only exception) we are better team than Bournemouth. However they are safe (with key players missing large chunks of the season) and we are teetering over the edge.

We aren''t filled with mercenaries picking up huge salaries despite playing like pub team player so are also better than Villa. However they are safe (with key players missing large chunks of the season) and we are teetering over the edge.

Therefore id probably have to say that more often that not we are a team that doesn''t work hard enough for each other, have a clear tactical plan or a system that suits our best players.

Newcastle have been a shambles of a club all year but perhaps are finally just concentrating on getting back to basics and forgetting the behind the scenes nonsense. Sunderland and Villa have been surviving for far too long and both deserve to go. Crazy amounts of money on completely average or past-it players.

We are a team that doesnt have enough firepower and without Wes we have zero creativity. The number 10 role has never been addressed and it is the one position that you need options in to stay in the PL. Naismith looked like he could come in and be that player but hed be lucky to start for Ipswich the form he''s in. We are a team whose midfield doesnt work hard enough to track back and hasnt since the last time we were in the Prem!

However we are a team that may just scrape it. If we do there needs to be some serious recruitment in the summer. All of our CMs lack at least one aspect to their game. We need a player that can get box to box, pass, tackle and motivate. Basically a PL class captain....not gonna be cheap but we need a midfield general. Wes needs competition / slowly phasing out, and Klose needs a competent partner.

I wouldn''t particularly agree that we are man for man better than Bournemouth. I think they have a few players we would happily have here - especially upfront. I''d rather have Wilson than Afobe and King is a very decent player too.

However, I would agree, and did make this point on another forum a few months back, that we don''t really seem to have a clear plan or style. AN''s knee jerk reaction to the Newcastle away game was the start of it and the ship has never really been steadied.

As sad as it is, I do agree that Neil changed his philosophy after the Newcastle game. And in the long run I think it may just cost us. B''mouth have taken some beatings but they''re safe. They''re safe because they played attacking football and Howe kept his philosophy the same the entire season.

Indeed.

Their mister reliable a certain A.Surman too. Exactly the kind of D.Fox type midfielder we could do with. Sit in front of the back four and calm the game down.

Of course both of those players were **** according to a lot of posters here.

Soft , even Villa beat us comfortably , if a team is desperate for 3 points you would want to be playing Norwich because we end bad runs and make ordinary sides look like Barcelona .

GPB, yes perhaps. We got promoted playing the Norwich way, but obviously couldn''t keep it up in the Prem. Would we rather leave ourselves open to the odd drubbing (alla Newcastle) but create more, and possibly score first in a few more games!

the type of team has been lost i am afraid

it Simple good managers and coaches get players to play with passion and grit and as a whole raise the players game through playing as a team ,

not one player has improved or or been in good form this season maybe some are not good enough we knew that ,

AN has not gelled a team ,no system no style no improvement not saying all his fault but buck stops with manager and before you say he is only 34 i dont care if he is 34 or 54 he has been given the job as manager of a premiership team he is either good enough or not !

We are a team who have been poorly coached all season. Players may lack quality but fitness has looked a problem. Not inventive anywhere in the danger area each corner delivered exactly the same explains poor stats, never try anything you could say is off the training ground. One dimensional in attack and defence and tactically poor. Poor selection and substitutions.

Players strictly limited but failed by the management team i.e. manager and the coaching staff. Need an overhaul to rectify situation but don''t expect it will happen.

We are a team with more ups and downs than most.ups and downsdowns and upswhats not to like.

norfolkngood wrote; "AN has not gelled a team ,no system no style no improvement not saying all his fault but buck stops with manager and before you say he is only 34 i dont care if he is 34 or 54 he has been given the job as manager of a premiership team he is either good enough or not ! "

No he was given the job of a championship team, that he steered to the premiership.