Sign in to follow this  
City 2nd

Relegated Development squad!

the U21 development squad were last night relegated from Premier League Development football league after failing to win their penultimate game, losing 2-1 to Liverpool U21. Looks like it''s indemic and surely points to the fact a review is needed at all levels regarding coaching and tactics at NCFC.

The U21''s have been spread far and wide on loan, playing league football.

Unlike previous seasons, first team squad members have not often been available as over age players.

Several of the U18''s have been stepped up to play with the U21''s.

The big positive from this, many young players have league football experience, playing lots of games of ''real'' football. Kids from the academy have been getting experience playing at the higher age level against the U21''s of the Premier League teams which often include squad members from the first teams, so yes they have lost some games & got relegated but gained valuable lessons as young players.

[quote user="City 2nd"]the U21 development squad were last night relegated from Premier League Development football league after failing to win their penultimate game, losing 2-1 to Liverpool U21. Looks like it''s indemic and surely points to the fact a review is needed at all levels regarding coaching and tactics at NCFC.[/quote]
And still McNally will be claiming his bonus FFS!

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]Number 9, that''s far too positive, you''re supposed to use this as another stick to beat the club with[/quote]

Apologies, I don''t know what came over me.

Being relegated from Div 1 of U21 PL will not be of any consequence and maybe a bonus. Younger kids we have been using playing against the teams of the multi millionaire clubs in Div 2 may mean more wins and encouragement for the boys.

[quote user="Number 9"]The U21''s have been spread far and wide on loan, playing league football.

Unlike previous seasons, first team squad members have not often been available as over age players.

Several of the U18''s have been stepped up to play with the U21''s.

The big positive from this, many young players have league football experience, playing lots of games of ''real'' football. Kids from the academy have been getting experience playing at the higher age level against the U21''s of the Premier League teams which often include squad members from the first teams, so yes they have lost some games & got relegated but gained valuable lessons as young players.[/quote]

Beat me to it, I''m not sure how many people actually follow or even go an watch the U21''s on a regular basis, but until this year we were mainly dragged up by the likes of the Murphy''s, Toffolo and Morris all of whom won the youth cup. Nearly all of these players have either left the club to find first team football elsewhere, sometimes due to their age, or have been loaned out to continue their development and get first team experience. Most of this year U20''s, 19''s, 18''s and at times 17s have filled the gaps - regularly playing against PL sides who have paid millions for youngsters. NCFC cannot compete in that kind of market yet, and I''m sure everyone at the club would rather our youngsters be out on loan developing their games rather than securing PL development squad status. Finally, as Number 9 pointed out, we have a small first team squad and injuries have meant even those not starting (Dorrans lately for example) have NOT been playing for the Dev Squad in order to keep them in the first team mix.

watched all 90 min on liverpooltv....

We was on must win situation to stay and I was very surprised to see that we even not take any risk at end to win this game.

On big periods we was danger team but last 20 min we don''t care that results 1-1 not suit us and not try to win this game as win only give chance to not relegated.

We play same under N Adamas away at Chelsea 2 seasons ago.

Think coach Halajko have no clue...

Well at least we finished above Leicester! Who do you think will win the second division play-offs? Arsenal or Swansea?

having said all this our under 15 and below teams played in a tournament last week with all the big teams and some teams from spain inc real madrid youth and came 3rd

we have good teams at youth level like the fa cup team its after that we struggle it''s my opinion i blame coaching under 18 to first team coaching not good enough not many of our players improve for some reason

norfolkngood - exactly the same thing happens with ALL young players at ALL clubs.

It''s well known the hardest step to take is the last one - from U21 level to first team football. Its nothing to do with our coaching not being good enough. If you took a little time to look at other clubs you''d know that was the case.

i would say that our strike rate of youth to 1st team is alot poorer than alot of teams

i agree that not all good 15 year olds make good 2o years old but i think we should be aiming higher than our record the last 10 years

Norfolkngood, whilst that may be true to some extent we need to compare ourselves to teams around about our level. Let''s remember the new academy status is only really taking effect now with the Murphy''s, Toffolo and Morris beginning to get on the fringes - we might see them break through next year, especially if we do get relegated.

As for other teams, well, I don''t see Watford or Bournemouth blooding a lot of youth?

Take a look at this to give you some perspective;

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/10058264/hold-hold-hold

[quote user="AJ"]Norfolkngood, whilst that may be true to some extent we need to compare ourselves to teams around about our level. Let''s remember the new academy status is only really taking effect now with the Murphy''s, Toffolo and Morris beginning to get on the fringes - we might see them break through next year, especially if we do get relegated.

As for other teams, well, I don''t see Watford or Bournemouth blooding a lot of youth?

Take a look at this to give you some perspective;

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/10058264/hold-hold-hold[/quote]Good article[Y]The attrition rate of players never making it is, unfortunately, very, very high.Last time this was discussed here, someone posted a link about the FA youth cup, and the Liverpool youth team was used as an example (can''t remember what year they won it) and basically not one name was recognisable, none of them "made it".It takes time, and as your link shows, we''re not the worst at it.