Sign in to follow this  
ec-p

Gary O' Neil

Story on home page re Gary O'' Neil being out of contract at the end of the season and reaching his 33rd birthday. Would you give him another year regardless of what division we''re in? Personally I think he deserves one. One of the few players over the last couple of months to fight for the cause and put in maximum effort, always pretty solid and vocal on the pitch. Many were dismayed when Tettey was ruled out for the season but O''Neil has been a worthy replacement. I do think he should''ve continued with the head bandage though!

Aye, definitely another year. The one player that shows leadership on the pitch, we shouldn''t lose him unless we can replace him with similar.

He deserves another year imo. The fact that a 30 odd year old free transfer has been one of our better players this season does highlight our frailties this season though

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]He deserves another year imo. The fact that a 30 odd year old free transfer has been one of our better players this season does highlight our frailties this season though[/quote]Awwww, well done. You really can snatch a negative out of virtually anything.[:)]

Well he was at the club last season in the championship and got limited game time. This season in the PL he has become one of our better players, credit to him , but shows that 75% of our signing have been crap. He deserves another year but we will need better for the longer term.

I am optimistic about next season, but this has been a massive disappointment. Most supporters were realistic but most thought we would survive by a few places, yes we may yet survive by one place but that looks to be a big ask.

I have been happy with Norwich over many seasons, but post Lambert era we seem to repeat the same type of mistakes over and over again

Fair point from Yorkshire, how many people before the season would have predicted him being a first team regular? Literally no one!

Deserves another year especially if we do go down.

He''s having a creditable swansong and his fighting presence in the starting line-up for the remainder of the season will only but enhance our chances of survival by that little bit more in what is likely to be a close run thing..

To retain him for a Championship struggle is a no-brainer, IMO.

I had always assumed that his retention for another PL season would be a sign of us lacking in ambition as we should surely be forever seeking better and classier and be moving a notch upwards in our recruitment. We will have the money.

Now I''m not so sure. I suppose it could all depend upon his influence in the dressing room, which I suspect is useful.

Irrespective of which league yes. Assuming a Burnley hull Brighton boro don''t entice him. They can take a vadis mulumbu etc instead. Hopefully

Definitely worth an extended contract irrespective of where we finish. Stoke aside, he has been a real battler the last few games.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]With the wage outflows for Dorrans, Mulumbu et al I suspect we will not have the luxury of renewing his contract.[/quote]
You do know we can sell players?

Regardless of divison (but more so if we go down) O''Neil should be the first one to sign up for next season, quickly followed by giving him the Captains armband.

As had been said by others he is one of the very few leaders on the pitch we have - leads by example.

Would prefer Tettey or an in form Mulumbu. After the Stoke game gave away soft pen against Newcastle.

Klose or Howson for captain. We need to bring some new talent through the ranks.

Championship yes new contract

but if we stay up then sorry NO we have to upgrade midfield

our current CM ''s do not create or score enough to be premiership players needs a overhaul badly

Good, decent squad player whichever division we are in. But would want another CM to start over him whether we are in the Premier League or not.

[quote user="The Judge"]Regardless of divison (but more so if we go down) O''Neil should be the first one to sign up for next season, quickly followed by giving him the Captains armband.

As had been said by others he is one of the very few leaders on the pitch we have - leads by example.[/quote]

He is worthy of the Captains role.

Sad endorsement of the rest of the players that O''Neil has looked so good! In reality Vadis, Mullumbu, Dorrans should all have been streets ahead, but all been very poor signings.

Good on O''Neil, but should we stay up he''s really got to be given another year here and we should move on Dorrans, Mullumbu and Vadis!

I like him a lot but he does look a bit too groomed for my liking.  A bit like that kn0bhead from The Voice (the one who ironically can''t sing, unless shouting "I predict a riot!" is "singing").
Still, probably 3rd in my PoTS list this season.

Would absolutely give him one more year. Whatever league we''re in, he shouldn''t be a starter but I bet he''s great behind the scenes too.