Sign in to follow this  

In our last game of the84/85 we won at Chelsea and the papers said that we had avoided relegation. Only a freak set of results would see us go down. Well that happened and on the final game Coventry who should have gone down beat champions Everton.

The game was played at 11 on a Sunday morning. The Everton team was depleted because of internationals and the players that played were still drunk from the party the night before.

Then came the Heysel tragedy so having qualified for the first time we were banned. I think sacrificed is more accurate. We had no problem with crowd trouble but the national team who had,were allowed to carry on taking fans abroad.

Since then we have had some ridiculous decisions against us and teams not turning up. Remember the game in the fog? and the time Portsmouth wanted to lose at WBA so it would relegate Southampton?

Two seasons ago we had a legitimate goal disallowed against Cardiff, then we were fined.This season we have a record amount of unfair decisions and get fined when the opposing manager assaults our players.

So does anyone seriously think we''re staying up?

A lot depends on the teams who Sunderland and Newcastle. On paper they could both get plenty more points.

Will Stoke and Palace show an ounce of effort even though they''re on the beach?!

Will Villa show an ounce of pride when they play Newcastle at home?

Will Chelsea and Everton turn up when they travel to the SoL?

Probably not. I can still see Sunderland getting another 9/10 points.

To counter No Klose, here is what I feel has all the ingredients for a perfect scenario for the end of the season - a twist in the tale and poetic justice:

Sunderland 4 games - 7 points = 38 points (plausible)

(2 wins, a draw and a defeat).

Newcastle 3 games - 9 points = 39 (not inconceivable) - (Palace (h) Villa (A) and Spurs (with nothing to play for) (H)).

Now the less likely part of the equation:

Norwich 4 games - 9 points = 40.

and I''m not finished yet ...

Palace 3 games - 0 points = 39 (Newcastle and Soton (a) - likely defeats . And .... uhh ... Stoke (whose players suddenly realize that they''ll forego a massive part of their bonus if they don''t buck their ideas up and secure a top half finish! and they do the business against Palace).

So this all leaves the final table as follows:

16. Norwich 40

17. Palace 39

18. Newcastle 39

19 Sunderland 38

20 Villa - god knows - 16 pts probably

Newcastle down on goal difference.

So the twist in the tale / poetic justice is that Oliver is left to ponder that the challenge on Jarvis was a penalty and had he given it - Palace would probably have gone down instead of his beloved Newcastle!

And of course none of this will happen - but it''s nice to dream for a day or so at least.

Now back to the real world ... suddenly it''s only just over 2 days to Arsenal

[quote user="curious yellow"]In our last game of the84/85 we won at Chelsea and the papers said that we had avoided relegation. Only a freak set of results would see us go down. Well that happened and on the final game Coventry who should have gone down beat champions Everton.

The game was played at 11 on a Sunday morning. The Everton team was depleted because of internationals and the players that played were still drunk from the party the night before.

Then came the Heysel tragedy so having qualified for the first time we were banned. I think sacrificed is more accurate. We had no problem with crowd trouble but the national team who had,were allowed to carry on taking fans abroad.

Since then we have had some ridiculous decisions against us and teams not turning up. Remember the game in the fog? and the time Portsmouth wanted to lose at WBA so it would relegate Southampton?

Two seasons ago we had a legitimate goal disallowed against Cardiff, then we were fined.This season we have a record amount of unfair decisions and get fined when the opposing manager assaults our players.

So does anyone seriously think we''re staying up?[/quote]
I was thinking that the conspiracy against our club was for one season only, but now you mention it perhaps there has always been a conspiracy against Norwich City FC.