Sign in to follow this  
firststeps

So... who's supporting the Junior Doctor strike?

Our entire political system is infested with greedy, self-serving and quite honestly, thick politicians who don''t stick to their principles, and think of nothing other than how to maintain their power and lifestyle. Party doesn''t come into it.

I''m sure there are plenty of decent politicians who believe in what they are doing, and want to serve the people of the UK, but these are rarely the ones who make the news.

"With the odd exception there are the Muslims in Spinney Hills, Hindus and Sikhs totally dominate Belgrave, the black community is in Highfields and Somalis have taken over St Matthew''s."

Is this a fair description of the situation in Leicester and is this multi culturalism?

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]I will get back to you with some facts Ricardo :-)
I suppose it depends how far back you want to go, but in my lifetime
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cash-for-questions_affair
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cash_for_Honours
We could also debate the expenses scandal and whether having one''s moat cleaned, or one''s floating duck house maintained, is a right and proper use of taxpayer''s money.  I would suggest, without evidence of course, that the reason Tory MP scandals are mostly about sex is because most of the privileged elite have plenty of money to start with :-)
[/quote]Yes Bor, it was a generalisation but the exceptions generally prove the rule. I know John Prescott dabbled a bit with his secretary but this is usually a Tory trait. The Profumo Affair was obviously the Tory biggy but there have been quite a few others, Lord Lambton, Cecil Parkinson, Major and Currie etc.On the Labour side its mostly about money and in my life time the Stonehouse affair was one of the biggest and cash for access has been a problem for all governments be they left or right. I think that to say its just  the Tories who are a privileged elite is to gloss over the facts somewhat. The days of cloth cap Labour are long in the past. No side has a monopoly on moral rectitude  and you will be eternally disappointed if you think that one is more upright than the other.

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]Oh Ricardo - getting a little bit forgetful about Tory Party sleaze aren''t we????

Good old Neil Hamilton taking money in brown envelopes for asking questions in Parliament.

Jonathan Aitken imprisoned for perjury.

Jeffrey Archer sent down for perjury and perverting the course of justice.

And they''re just the ones that got caught.[/quote]Yes TL there are always exceptions and the Presscott affair showed that Labour aren''t immune to a bit of hanky panky. I would say that the Archer affair was a sex scandal. He may have gone to prison for the attempted cover up but basically it was an affair with a prostitute so to my mind that is a sex scandal.

[quote user="paul moy"]

Before you say that we won''t get the nurses etc from abroad consider that once we are OUT we will have a visa system that will allow us to bring in those with the skills we actually need rather than all and sundry.[/quote]I''ll let Sam and others above do the job of dealing with your arguments of ''big scary numbers'' = ''Britain is doomed''! They''re doing a good job showing that your argument isn''t a good one.It''s the above point that I''d like to discuss around this visa system which the no campaign answer a lot of questions with, but with very little further detail.I''m currently undecided how I''ll vote in the EU referendum. I''m probably leaning ''stay''. Part of the reasons for this is with half-baked policy ideas like ''a visa system'' with no further detail. As someone who''s been through this visa process a few times in this country, I know first hand how much time, effort, and importantly how much it costs to get working rights in this country. I can''t help but think that if we add more people into this process, it will do nothing but hinder the labour market in this country.Let''s take your example - Nurses for the NHS. Currently, even being in the EU, estimates say that the NHS is running at a shortage of just under 50,000 nurses. (http://www.nursingtimes.net/roles/nurse-managers/nhs-to-face-chronic-nurse-shortage-by-2016/5059871.fullarticle). The argument is that if didn''t have full movement in the EU, then we''d have work visas to bring nurses in. But getting and approving work visas are labour intensive, bureaucratic, and expensive. So with the added hassle and cost of these visas, why would EU nurses bother coming to the UK? They can freely go to another country next-door with none of that hassle or expense?Will they need to pay more in salary than neighbouring countries in order to entice nurses - costing the NHS more money? Or will the NHS have to pay for the visas? Will costs for recruiting nurses now sky-rocket?UKIP and others always claim that they are in favour of an Australian style points skilled immigration system. This system works OK for Australia. It is a desirable location with a high standard of living, and high wages. It is also remote, with little competition from neighbouring countries. It still has it''s shortcomings (i.e. employees still manage to be able to work around it and get in cheaper foreign labour - Google something called an 457 visa if you don''t believe me), but it works well because competition for labour is less while demand to enter is high. Because of the UK''s location, it has more competition. All I can see happening with a system like this in the UK would be that it becomes a less attractive place to come for EU workers, due to the hassle and cost. Why go to London, when Paris is easier? It will just lead to more labour shortages.Maybe the no campaign has addressed these issues in detail and have just not communicated it to me. But the way I see it, the "we''ll have visas" answer doesn''t cut it for me, and will only result in a further skills shortage in this country.

The poor things are being asked to work one Saturday in four and receive a premium pay rate of 30 per cent for it - absolutely shocking and I don''t blame them for the first all-out strike since the NHS’s creation and refusal to carry out even emergency care [:|]

Did anyone notice how most JDs now seem to be giggly girls who start every sentence with "So" and end it with a question inflection, even if it doesn''t need it?Practicing the lingo ready for their move to Australia maybe [:|]