Sign in to follow this  
AmericanNorwichFan

5ATB vs Arsenal?

I cant decide on what would be best which is probably why I''d have never made a manager.

5 at the back leaves us hoping for a break to get a much needed goal but guess that formation is playing for a point which we need

4-4 -2 is much more attacking and no-one expects us to win so why not go for it and surprise them?

Confused.com lol

I''d keep with a back 4 seeing as they only play 1 up top, no need for 2 spare CBs. I''d have O''neil sick to ozil all game, trying to stifle him out the game. My line up would be:

Ruddy; Martin, Bennett, Bassong, Olsson; O''Neil; Redmond, Howson, Dorrans, Brady; Jerome

Jerome''s pace and willing running would hopefully stretch the game and give us an outlet on the counter with Redmond and Brady either side.

Exactly Vanwink, that''s what I''m talking about! You can''t beat a nonchalant little toss at the Emirates...

Apples

[quote user="nat_canaries"]I''d keep with a back 4 seeing as they only play 1 up top, no need for 2 spare CBs. I''d have O''neil sick to ozil all game, trying to stifle him out the game. My line up would be:

Ruddy; Martin, Bennett, Bassong, Olsson; O''Neil; Redmond, Howson, Dorrans, Brady; Jerome

Jerome''s pace and willing running would hopefully stretch the game and give us an outlet on the counter with Redmond and Brady either side.[/quote]

This looks to be a pretty decent shout, perhaps Mulumbu instead of Dorrans to sit in beside O’Neil. As far as I can remember he played that role pretty well when we lost at Man City earlier in the season. Lack of match fitness will probably limit him to about 70 minutes or so of game time though.

Ruddy

Martin, Bassong, Bennett, Olsson

O’Neil, Mulumbu

Redmond, Howson, Brady

Jerome

If we wanted to go for it a bit more one of Wes/Naismith (Wes for me) could come in for Mulumbu with Howson dropping a little deeper. Think Jerome’s pace/work rate will be more useful against Arsenal than Mbokani’s aerial prowess.

I think we genuinely have a decent chance at Arsenal. We have been close to getting something there on a couple of occasions and this time I think we can......if we are brave.

For me, we have to start Wes and Redmond. We need Jerome of Mbokani to hold the ball when they get it, and Howson charging through the middle. I''d leave Naismith on the bench for this one.

Ruddy

Martin

Bennett

Bassong

Olsson

O''Neill

Howson

Brady

Hoolahan

Redmond

Jerome

Naismith, Dorrans and Bamford to come off the bench

If we let them dominate possession then it is a matter of how soon and how many.

We need to take it to them as their counter attacking game has been poor of late (as recently when they fell apart under pressure and surrendered a two goal lead).

At no point can we afford to sit back and soak up pressure as they will score at least one.

[quote user="Mr Apples"]Cometh the hour, cometh the man! And for that reason I''d also have Bammers (and his lovely mop of hair) up top.

Apples[/quote]Oh, we calling him "Bammers" now?*writes that down.[;)]

When I first saw this thread I read it as: SATB, which in musical circles stands for "Soprano, Alto, Tenor and Bass", which is the normal composition for a choir.

I wondered whether AN had become so desperate that he''d got that tw@t Gareth Malone in to lead some singing of rousing songs in the dressing-room. Even that little Steve Punt wouldn''t be able to work out what the tune to "OTBC" is meant to be.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]See what you mean MP, but slightly disagree.

We have three points to lose for a starters. [/quote]Not strictly true BR.We only have 1 point to lose because when the game kick''s off that is what we will have.So if we lose the game we will have lost 1 point You cannot lose 3 points until such time that you have taken the lead and then subsequently concede more goals than you''ve scored. Likewise you can only lose 2 points by taking the lead & then drawing.

Hoolahan has to start today so we can retain possession and pass the ball.

Since we came back up under Lambert we''ve not beaten any of the "big five" without him in the side nor have we taken a point off Arsenal without him. Conversely in our victories v United x2, Arsenal and Man City he has started all of them.

If Naismith starts at his expense it will be extremely surprising.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Hoolahan has to start today so we can retain possession and pass the ball.

Since we came back up under Lambert we''ve not beaten any of the "big five" without him in the side nor have we taken a point off Arsenal without him. Conversely in our victories v United x2, Arsenal and Man City he has started all of them.

If Naismith starts at his expense it will be extremely surprising.[/quote]Will it though Jim?History means nothing. Yes Naismith hasn''t reached the heights we want him to yet, but, Hoolahan has been less and less effective in games every time I have seen him. Nothing will please me more if Alex Neil sees it differently, Hoolahan starts, has the best game of his life and we win. But I won''t be in the slightest bit surprised to see Naismith start.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"]Hoolahan has to start today so we can retain possession and pass the ball.

If Naismith starts at his expense it will be extremely surprising.[/quote]Will it though Jim?History means nothing. Yes Naismith hasn''t reached the heights we want him to yet, but, Hoolahan has been less and less effective in games every time I have seen him. Nothing will please me more if Alex Neil sees it differently, Hoolahan starts, has the best game of his life and we win. But I won''t be in the slightest bit surprised to see Naismith start.

[/quote]

I don''t agree he''s becoming less effective Morty but then I suspect you and I will not agree on this. He''s not been as effective when brought on as a sub I agree but then that has often been the case over the years. When he has started he has generally been highly influential for us. Naismith has been utter dogsh*t for the last two games and does not deserve to keep his place in the side. Obviously if he does then I hope he plays well.