Sign in to follow this  
Ivan Easter

Just an Opinion

Don''t think sacking AN would be the answer, however we do need to stop missing out on players we should have gone for eg. Defoe, Afobe etc.

Klose is a good signing but will he stay when and if we get relegated(which does look likely). I am disappointed as the start of the season looked promising however now it has become very clear that we are not a good Premiership side but I hope we can regroup and come back again with a better team next season. No I have not given up hope of survival yet but you must agree it does not look likely at the moment. If there is a magic wand someone needs to wave it !!!

Did we go for Defoe?And for the umpteenth time, Afobe chose Bournemouth over us, likely for financial reasons. You can''t actually "miss out" on a player that doesn''t want to come here.

We don''t know if he chose Bournemouth over us though do we. The whole saga was bizarre. Would not surprise me if the key differential between us and Bournemouth was that they agreed to pay the required fee and did not mess Wolves and the player about by making derisory bids, unsettling everyone and getting their backs up.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]We don''t know if he chose Bournemouth over us though do we. The whole saga was bizarre. Would not surprise me if the key differential between us and Bournemouth was that they agreed to pay the required fee and did not mess Wolves and the player about by making derisory bids, unsettling everyone and getting their backs up.[/quote]Well we kinda do Jim though, don''t we?I don''t see him in a green and yellow shirt.And the rest of that is just tosh that you are making up.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]We don''t know if he chose Bournemouth over us though do we. The whole saga was bizarre. Would not surprise me if the key differential between us and Bournemouth was that they agreed to pay the required fee and did not mess Wolves and the player about by making derisory bids, unsettling everyone and getting their backs up.[/quote]

The sooner you learn to accept that it''s quality of schools and broadband speeds that count the most then you''ll be at peace with yourself.

I''d hold fire on judging how succesful Afobe will be ....the jury''s very much out there.

He has been over the past few weeks been kept out of the team by Lewis Grabban and following the return of Callum Wilson yesterday, dropped even further down the pecking order to 3rd/4th choice striker having scored 3 (?) goals since they signed him?.

Obviouslywe clearly needed to strengthen our striking department in January and Bamford has proved ineffectual.....but I''m not so sure that Afobe would have been the answer

Afobe will be on at least 50k per week. That is a hell of a lot for an unproven Championship player who hasn''t actually done much in this league so far. Defoe will be on at least 80k, probably around 100k after moving from the MLS so well out of our price range.

They went in straight away with the 10 million because money is no object for them. Forget that it''s Bournemouth and all the media love in BS, they''re just another QPR suggardaddy club. it really sucks to say it but we can''t compete with them on wages.

Our peers in this league are Swansea and WBA but they''ve established themselves now and can afford to gamble. Footballers almost always move for the money, we''re going to struggle badly to compete wage wise with any other club in the league and even a lot of Championship ones, which is why we can''t just cherrypick the best from the league below anymore.

Exactly Ricky, and I don''t understand why people keep getting confused between "We don''t have the money" and "We don''t have any ambition".

[quote user="morty"]Exactly Ricky, and I don''t understand why people keep getting confused between "We don''t have the money" and "We don''t have any ambition".[/quote]Agreed.  There is also the question of, ''we need a coupla centre backs so why can''t we just pop down to the shops and buy ''em''.  Some people are incapable of understanding that it''s not as easy as buying a packet of cornflakes.

We don''t have the money as we don''t have the ambition

There are scores of Investors looking at premier league clubs it''s just our Owners for what ever reason don''t want the club to progress by selling it

Morty,

I mused a couple of weeks ago on this topic (or similar anyway) and for the sake of repetition I shall copy some of it here;

However what if there was more to our inability to sign players than meets the eye. The fact we are located where we are may have very little to do with why some players don’t/won’t come, as may our salary structure, etc.

It may be that whilst we were once a club held in the highest regard by our peers and others, such as players and agents, we may no longer fall into that category and in fact may even be disliked by many.

Now, if that were the case, you may say, “but you don’t have to be liked to be successful in the transfer market” and that would be a fair point, but you probably need to be respected and conversely you probably need to be seen as a club that shows respect to others (peers, players, agents, etc.), if we were not liked and not respected how difficult would it become to entice players here?

If the above did have any semblence of truth to it, I wonder why that would be the case?

As I said previously, only supposition of course.

Didn''t we a few years back employ a company to scour the world to find investors for NCFC

[quote user="daly"]Didn''t we a few years back employ a company to scour the world to find investors for NCFC[/quote]

Same company that scoured the world for a manager and came up with Neil Adams

[quote user="daly"]Didn''t we a few years back employ a company to scour the world to find investors for NCFC[/quote]

We could''ve saved that money and just asked Hull Canary, he/she knows of scores of investors.

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="morty"]Exactly Ricky, and I don''t understand why people keep getting confused between "We don''t have the money" and "We don''t have any ambition".[/quote]Agreed.  There is also the question of, ''we need a coupla centre backs so why can''t we just pop down to the shops and buy ''em''.  Some people are incapable of understanding that it''s not as easy as buying a packet of cornflakes.[/quote]

actually on the centre back score.... i would disagree there.

Armed with the £7m we spent on Klose, there would have been dozens of central defenders accross europe we could have signed that would have been an upgrade on what we started this season with.

and if ,as a club, we werent able to identify any of them, then the entire scouting network needs sacking, if it hasnt already been.

People are possibly going slightly overboard on Klose....he hasnt been anything spectacular, he''s just defended proporly with a modicum of composure, its merely highlighted how bad our central defenders are before we signed him.

Instead of Afobe maybe we should just have kept Hooper and played him? Another 2 goals yesterday. Looking like a massive error letting him leave and clearly thriving at championship level which is looking increasingly likely where we will be next season

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="morty"]Exactly Ricky, and I don''t understand why people keep getting confused between "We don''t have the money" and "We don''t have any ambition".[/quote]Agreed.  There is also the question of, ''we need a coupla centre backs so why can''t we just pop down to the shops and buy ''em''.  Some people are incapable of understanding that it''s not as easy as buying a packet of cornflakes.[/quote]

actually on the centre back score.... i would disagree there.

Armed with the £7m we spent on Klose, there would have been dozens of central defenders accross europe we could have signed that would have been an upgrade on what we started this season with.

and if ,as a club, we werent able to identify any of them, then the entire scouting network needs sacking, if it hasnt already been.

People are possibly going slightly overboard on Klose....he hasnt been anything spectacular, he''s just defended proporly with a modicum of composure, its merely highlighted how bad our central defenders are before we signed him.[/quote]

Name them, and I''ll just remind you that you said ''dozens'' which is quite a lot, probably at least 24.

re Afobe - I was under the impression that we preferred Naismith to Afobe - proven premier pedigree vs an unknown quantity - could be seen as logical?OK, it hasn''t worked out, but that unfortunately is the nature of transfers - sure things are expensive and are not "sure" at all!

I''ll say again, we werent expecting a baresi or a koeman...just somebody that was a competent defender and an upgrade on russell martin and/or bassong.

I''m no football scout, but if those employed by the club that are couldny indentify ANYBODY forom the whole wide world of football ,then thats unforgivable.

To start this season with absolutely no improvement to our back line was reprehensible

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]I''ll say again, we werent expecting a baresi or a koeman...just somebody that was a competent defender and an upgrade on russell martin and/or bassong.

I''m no football scout, but if those employed by the club that are couldny indentify ANYBODY forom the whole wide world of football ,then thats unforgivable.

To start this season with absolutely no improvement to our back line was reprehensible[/quote]

So you can''t name anyone of these dozens of players and know your continuing on you journey to stupidity, congratulations.

well its even more remarkable that we''re in the relegation zone then, given that there was absolutely nobody out there that could have possibly improved our defence , with what must have been a good £10m on a defender??

Martin and Bassong must be far better players and carry a higher valuation that I have given them credit for.

idiot

You still haven''t named a player out of the dozens we could''ve signed for £7 million. If you ever do you''ll have to provide some evidence to back it up else we''ll just have to assume you don''t know what your talking about

I''d never heard of Timm Klose before.....this is my point, we have been badly let down by the people at the club who''s job it IS to scout and recruit.

Using you own knowledge of football any judgement you may have.

Do you believe that during last summer with at least £7m...or possibly even more in the region of £10m , that there was no defender anywhere in world football that we could have signed that wouldnt have been an upgrade on the central defenders we already had at the club?

yes or no

Klose wasn''t available in the summer, as soon as Wolfsburg were out of the Champions League they decided to accept offers for him.You still haven''t named a player out of the dozens we could''ve signed for

£7 million. If you ever do you''ll have to provide some evidence to back

it up else we''ll just have to assume you don''t know what your talking

about.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]I''d never heard of Timm Klose before.....this is my point, we have been badly let down by the people at the club who''s job it IS to scout and recruit.

Using you own knowledge of football any judgement you may have.

Do you believe that during last summer with at least £7m...or possibly even more in the region of £10m , that there was no defender anywhere in world football that we could have signed that wouldnt have been an upgrade on the central defenders we already had at the club?

yes or no[/quote]This is not the point. Of course there were defenders we could have signed who would have been somewhat better than those we had. But we made a bold decision to try for a really top-class player (probably Koulibaly at Napoli) who would have been a significant upgrade. And missed out at the last minute. It was a high-risk strategy that failed. It wasn''t that we didn''t want to spend the money or that we had failed to identify targets.

[quote user="Hull Canary"]There are scores of Investors looking at premier league clubs[/quote]You seem sure about this Waveney it shouldn''t be difficult for you to name a few of them? I mean, names are your speciality. [:)]C''mon then, just five will do for starters..........

was it a case of Koulibaly or nobody , with no fall back strategy?,

because if it was ,it was indeed as you say incrediby high risk and one which undoubtedly hurt us.

it clearly is the point, as ,as you mention there would have been defenders we could have signed that would have been somewhat better than those we had....to end up with absolutely nobody was poor.

Even a Michael Dawson would have been an upgrade, and that''s someone on our doorstep without labouring the point any further that our European scouting network wasnt possibly as it should have been?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]was it a case of Koulibaly or nobody , with no fall back strategy?,

because if it was ,it was indeed as you say incrediby high risk and one which undoubtedly hurt us.

it clearly is the point, as ,as you mention there would have been defenders we could have signed that would have been somewhat better than those we had....to end up with absolutely nobody was poor.

Even a Michael Dawson would have been an upgrade, and that''s someone on our doorstep without labouring the point any further that our European scouting network wasnt possibly as it should have been?[/quote]

We don''t need a scouting network as you knew of dozens of players, why didn''t you ''phone the club and let them know?