Sign in to follow this  
stroud canary

Jonson - the big mistake

Mattias Jonson leaving is the biggest mistake of this season for me.

He wanted to stay - Good buisness Worthy said! What a load of rubbish, 700k for a player that could have been awesome in this league is crap business.

Instead we got Ian "weak" Henderson on the right.

Midfield is where we have a major problem and Jonson really wanted to stay. It makes me mad just thinking about it.

We didnt have a choice with Francis but this sale should not have happened.

How on earth can you say that getting rid of Jonson, who was rubbish for us generally, was the cause of our problems.  Come on please.

What you should be p****d off about however is:

Selling Svensson: A very good striker at championship level, great in the air and pretty good with his feet, replaced by a 32 yr old. Rubbish

Selling Francis: Yes i know, terrible attitude. BUT why sell him if you dont use the money from the transfer. Even if he did have bad attitude its better to have him than nothing at all, and we miss a midfielder like him.

ANd: Generally spending **** all because we all thought the squad was great. You need quality to get out of this division.

Spot on Dicky, It all started to go wrong when Worthless during the summer of ''04 when began spending - Jonson was arguably the worst signing he has ever made, and he has been shocking at times with his ''knowledge'' in this department.

The key word there is could, could have been awesome.

Jonson was a crap signing and a 50k profit on a player who was crap and had a year left was very good business.

The biggest mistake so far was selling Francis for less than his worth (based on other summer business) and then not thinking he needed replacing

Agree with you Dicky, How can you say that selling a player who scored 0 goals, and who had 2 assists, and who was the wrong side of 30, for more than we paid for him is bad business?!?

what was there to suggest Jonson was good enough for the champ?

We spent the money on say Colin and Hughes, probably better than Jonson and Colin has lots of potential. Marney is probably a bit better too. I never saw Jonson do anything at all last season

Surely the problem is playing 4-2-4 against opposition who frequetly have 5 in midfield. Sure, Worthy calls it 4-4-2, but two of the so-called midfielders are really wingers (Huckerby, Marney, Henderson, or, last season, Jonsson) who can''t defend to save their lives.

Hopefully the new manager will see the folly in going into matches, especially away games against decent opposition, (e.g. Luton), in this suicidal fashion and will employ a compact midfield three or preferably four, which is capable of controlling a game, keeping posession, protecting the defence and supplying the forwards with decent passes.

At the moment we have one fit midfielder, which partly excuses the selection, but Worthy has proved in the past that he plays this system out of choice, not necessity. Teams have worked out that if they flood the midfield they can control the game against us & as a result we have become stale & predictable.

Time for a new broom (and I don''t mean a sweeper system!)

I agree that our weakness in midfield is a huge problem. But I think that any player no longer with the club now looks great because they aren''t in this losing team. Personally, I feel that our failure to find quality replacements for Francis and Bentley was a massive mistake last summer. But Jonson, unlike Helveg, never came good at any stage. So I was glad to see him go.If we had sold Ashton, Hucks, or Green I dare say there would be similar comments about how we would be top of the league if we''d kept them. But there they are, playing in this losing team week in, week out. Nevertheless, despite our patchy midfield, nothing excuses this sort of form.

Funny, I''d say getting rid of Jonson was Worthy only good bit of business this Summer getting our Money back on a 31 yr old who had no impact whatsoever last year.

The mistakes were getting rid of solid midfield pros like Holt, Mulryne - star player Francis and not addressing the shortage of wide men. I mean we only have four true midfield men in the squad - JJ, Safri, Hughes, Marney - with JJ and Hughes not up to the required standard and Safri to disappear in Jan / Feb we need(ed) reinforcements. The fact we could have got Kounmas and Cooper for Nothing rubs salt into the wound....... 

I agree with Northern that selling Svensson was one of the biggest mistakes. I''m sure everyone remembers when he was fully fit in our promotion season when he scored 5 in 6. He had his critics but I believe he was the most naturally gifted footballer we had at the club yet Worthington let him go without a fight. I heard him on the radio yesterday (Worthington) saying they didn''t really have and characters in the dressing room. Well surely thats because you let them all go? Svensson was probably one of the strangest characters we''ve had at this club for years and you couldn''t help but like him as a person. To replace him with a 32 year old who when I''ve heard on the radio just seems so boring makes me think that this was his biggest mistake.

Jonson was the biggest mistake of 04/05 (i.e. buying him in the first place). Yes, he would have been better in the championship but you could say that for all of them. If you want to cite a mistake regarding letting a player go it surely must be Edworthy.

I agree that selling Jonson was a mistake as he would have come good in this League and was keen to prove he was a better player than he showed last season when played out of position.  Interestingly, his new Club Djurgardens have just won the Swedish 1st Division and in a recent 5-1 win he scored 2 goals.  He is also still in the Sweden squad who have qualified for the World Cup but apparently he''s not good enough for NCFC!!  Have not noticed Svensson playing or scoring much for his club in Sweden.

Jonson was willing to play out of position and even went to right back on occasions.  He always tried his best however badly it was going for him and no one ever accused him of not trying on the field.  He was sent off trying to lead a fight back against Man City when everyone''s head was down.  He bled for the club wore bandages more ofter than Deano.   He apologised for his poor performances and said he owed the fans some good performances.

It goes deeper than that.  In the summer I posted a a farewell to the three Scandinavians, Jonson, Helveg and Svensson saying that we had not only lost three players who could be quality in the Championship but also three men of integrity who were clearly honest and dignified characters showing a professional approach at all times.  They clearly all loved the club and none left willingly.  Each had to do what was best for them in the circumstances which is fair enough.

Now we are told that there are a lack of characters in the dressing room and hear rumours of player disssention with dark undertones.  We would be a better team perhaps but a better club definately if any or all of these men had stayed

A few interesting points on here regarding Svennsson and Jonson.

Captain JD, we didn''t have a choice regarding "selling" Svensson. It was in his contract, that if a bid of x amount was received, then he could return with his family back to Sweden, where, contrary to the other poster, he scored on his debut, and despite injuries, has scored since.

As far as Jonson is concerned Fillet, how on earth can you say the biggest mistake "was buying him"?! Crazy comment. At just under a million he was a bargain considering he was a good international player. Although he never fulfilled his potential, he never let the club down.

Ulf Ottosson, you make me laugh -

"The mistakes were getting rid of solid midfield pros like Holt, Mulryne - star player Francis",

so...Holty, was on the fans'' backs through not being good enough. the fact that he now plys his trade in a poor CCC1 team says it all. The pro, Phil "the pie king" Mulryne, I can''t remember how many times this season i''ve watched us and thought "God i wish Mullers was in the thick of it sorting everyone out, and dictating play (like he did once away at Grimsby.....in 1999). Then there is Francis, if you ever want to break up a DressingRoom spirit, Just invite Damo along to the club :-)

The only mistake with Jonson was signing the guy in the first place.

He spent half the season injured (not a surprise when you look at his career record in terms of appearances - someone should have done their homework there).When he did play he resembled a headless chicken , frequently losing possession then charging around trying to regain it and more often than not giving away free kicks as a result.Poor in the tackle for a supposed midfielder too.

For all his talk of ''wanting to show the fans what I can do'' and ''you haven''t seen the best of me yet'' , it was simply a gamble that the club could not afford to take and the chance to make our money back + 50k was unbelievably good business.Still put us in a debit though when his not inconsiderable wages are taken into account..

I could score goals in the Swedish league , by the way...