Sign in to follow this  
Parma Ham's gone mouldy

Why Naismith plays (and Redmond doesn't)

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="The gut"]Typical morty, ridicules the possibilty of the "potent attacking force" because of stats, ie, 1 point from 2 games (Liverpool and WHam btw) then dismisses the use of stats.

We started the Liverpool game with Mbokani and West Ham with Jerome. Both were effective in attack, this dropping Mbokani for Wes is nonsense. It may be our Alex''s choice not to but of course they can play in the same team.[/quote]
I''m getting bored of this. Yeah Morty has his moments like most people on this forum do but how come i''m able to debate with him, even Jim Smith who again has a direct form of posting - however you wish to put it - have debated without making our Morty is some kind of pantomime villain.
[/quote]Its mainly because he is a pr1ck.Oh and he slipped up last night too, this is someones special second account[:)]

Second account .. how? one name one account since the beginning. Come on you naughty boy, do tell

morty wrote the following post at 18/04/2016 9:45 AM:

Sorry guys, I really can''t see any logic in dropping Mbokani for Jerome, just to accomodate Wes.

And I doubt we''ll ever agree, regardless of how long we go round and round with it!

Struggling to see the justification in keeping mbokani ahead of any striker. He encourages a long ball game yet we dont get players around him for the knock on. As for his reputed aerial prowess his % of headers won is just about identical to Jeromes, both around 45%. Yes he is a handful but its not enough in this league as he is neither scoring nor creating nor enabling others space to score.

Everything about Jerome is prem class (cant say the same about big M) apart from his finishing, which IS awful (although not that much worse than M) - its no coincidence his pace and movement mean we score more and win more points than the route one approach being adopted at the mo.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]morty wrote the following post at 18/04/2016 9:45 AM:

Sorry guys, I really can''t see any logic in dropping Mbokani for Jerome, just to accomodate Wes.

And I doubt we''ll ever agree, regardless of how long we go round and round with it!

Struggling to see the justification in keeping mbokani ahead of any striker. He encourages a long ball game yet we dont get players around him for the knock on. As for his reputed aerial prowess his % of headers won is just about identical to Jeromes, both around 45%. Yes he is a handful but its not enough in this league as he is neither scoring nor creating nor enabling others space to score.

Everything about Jerome is prem class (cant say the same about big M) apart from his finishing, which IS awful (although not that much worse than M) - its no coincidence his pace and movement mean we score more and win more points than the route one approach being adopted at the mo.[/quote]Yes, I get the "all the other things Jerome does for the team" thing, but I honestly, honestly can''t see where a goal is coming from with him. And I''m not saying Mbokani is a million times better either, but I do think he is a better option than Jerome. Lets face it, we ain''t got a lot to choose from.I agree about the temptation to go route one with Mbokani, but I will quite happily take points that way, right now, if thats what it takes.

Is route one what it takes though?

I would take points anyway right now, how does anyone know what way would work?

Even Ricardo''s boring one nil win would be nice.

happy to win ugly with route one football if needed.

With all the extras you just admitted Jerpme brings Morty and winning the same number of headers why does route one have to be with mbokani? A mobile route oner feels better than a static one...

And as you said - neither look like a brothel scorer at the moment.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]happy to win ugly with route one football if needed.

With all the extras you just admitted Jerpme brings Morty and winning the same number of headers why does route one have to be with mbokani? A mobile route oner feels better than a static one...

And as you said - neither look like a brothel scorer at the moment.[/quote]The fundamental difference, for me, is that Mbok plays much higher up the pitch, Cam has too much of a tendency to drop deep, which makes us much more reliant on pacy runners from midfield, which we don''t really have. Which is why Alex is persisting with the Mbok / Naisy combo, which isn''t firing as it should, as Naismith isn''t.Tough decisions to make for Alex.

First half of this game has already shown why Redmond should be playing.

[quote user="GJP"]He''s a threat.[/quote]Threats don''t win games though GJP.  Good saves from Cech admittedly, but he should have buried at least one of ''em.

But to stand a chance of winning games you need your biggest threats on the pitch.

Redmond is a bigger threat than Jarvis. And Naismith.

Redmond absolutely flatters to deceive. Dangerous and skillful, but does not deliver on anywhere near enough of a regular vasis. The much maligned Snodgrass delivered far more quality in the final third than Redmond has.

Don''t understand the level of criticism Redmond receives on this forum compared to other players. He plays out wide and is our joint-top goal-scorer in the league this season.

Also, Ian, "the much-maligned Snodgrass" delivered as many assists in his last season in the Prem - Redmond created more goals that season FYI - with us as Redmond has done this year.

In both seasons in the Prem Snodgrass scored 6 (I think?!) and assisted probably the same amount.

This was despite playing in an Hughton side. My point is, that he was much maligned by many Norwich supporters, yet delivered consistently more than Redmond has this season, and was also far far better defensively.

I like Redmond, but the fact of the matter is that he is no way clinical enough at this level, and that along with our strikers, is one of the major reasons we are where we are.

The sad thing is, as GJP says, that he probably is the best we have. Damning.

Now I''ve said that, lets hope he gets 5 in his last 3 games ;)

Snodgrass wasn''t that great defensively. His tracking back was often a half hearted effort but he might have thrown in a slide tackle every so often just to look like he was getting stuck in.

Though, in the interest of fairness, you''re unlikely to see Redmond getting stuck in.

Snodgrass and Redmond are very different players though- Snodgrass always looked to cut inside and didn''t have a great deal of pace, often slowing down attacks. He''s a good player though but I assume quite a few of his goals and assists were set piece based.

Redmond is more of a tricky, take on a full back type of winger so it is difficult to compare the two. One thing became pretty clear over time though- you can''t have them both in the same team.

Ian''s "Redmond flatters to deceive" is exactly right, sums it up perfectly, but equally apt would be "Theo Walcott Mk II". When Walcott was Redmond''s age everybody said "he''s still young, still learning, needs time, terrific potential, why isn''t he playing every game?". Five years on nothing has really changed, except that you don''t hear that word "potential" any more. I fear Redmond is on an exactly similar but somewhat less elevated road, and for the same reason: he lacks a football brain.