Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

Errol Crossan ('59ers) passes away

OFFICIAL SITE:

Canadian winger starred in famous 1958-59 FA Cup run

EVERYBODY at Norwich City Football Club is saddened to learn of the recent passing of Canary Hall of Famer Errol Crossan at the age of 85. The Montreal-born winger arrived at Carrow Road from Gillingham in 1957, and was one of the key players in City''s famous FA Cup run during the 1958-59 season. Then a Division Three South side, Crossan helped Archie Macaulay''s team to historic victories over Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur to set up a quarter-final meeting with Sheffield United. It was Crossan''s goal at Bramall Lane which secured a replay, with the Canaries then winning in Norfolk to progress to the semi-finals where they were eventually beaten by Luton Town via a replay. He went on to make over 100 appearances for City in all competitions before finishing his playing career in the country of his birth, and was inducted into the Club''s Hall of Fame in 2002.
Read more at http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/article/errol-crossan-3091185.aspx#pfdI1V11Ze05l1xo.99

The great man on the right with Terry Bly.Obviously there will be a tribute prior to the Man Utd game and how fitting as they were part of the history created back in 59.

The great man on the right with Terry Bly.

Obviously there will be a tribute prior to the Man Utd game and how fitting as they were part of the history created back in 59.

👍

RIP. He was fast. Brennan on the other wing not so much, but he didn''t need to be. I think that now leaves only Matt Crowe, Terry Allcock and Jimmy Hill.

My recollection, Purple, is that most of the time, when an opposing defender would stand up to him, Errol would push the ball several yards down the wing, the defender would turn after it and get a running start and Errol would most often still get to the ball first. RIP.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]
My recollection, Purple, is that most of the time, when an opposing defender would stand up to him, Errol would push the ball several yards down the wing, the defender would turn after it and get a running start and Errol would most often still get to the ball first. RIP.
[/quote]Yes.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]My recollection, Purple, is that most of the time, when an opposing defender would stand up to him, Errol would push the ball several yards down the wing, the defender would turn after it and get a running start and Errol would most often still get to the ball first. RIP.[/quote]He would normally push the ball to one side of the defender whilst he sprinted past the other, reuniting with the ball a few yards further down the pitch leaving the defender in his wake. An amazing player in an amazing team. RIP.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]
[/quote]Yes.[/quote]Yankee, there is a point here. We are indeed talking about memories, from a time when at best one now has flickering images as reminders. Really, one needed to be there, although even so I wouldn''t trust my memory from that far ago. But then I would take such fallible recollections over today''s omnipresent youtube certainties.

He was a great hero from my boyhood years. As quick as lightening and an eye for goal.

Time marches on for us all.

According to Wiki he made 102 appearances between 1958 - 1961 for us and scored 28 goals, that''s quite a strike rate for an out and out winger especially in those days.

Be great to have him and Bobby Brennan causing havoc from the wings now

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]
OFFICIAL SITE:

Canadian winger starred in famous 1958-59 FA Cup run

EVERYBODY at Norwich City Football Club is saddened to learn of the recent passing of Canary Hall of Famer Errol Crossan at the age of 85. The Montreal-born winger arrived at Carrow Road from Gillingham in 1957, and was one of the key players in City''s famous FA Cup run during the 1958-59 season. Then a Division Three South side, Crossan helped Archie Macaulay''s team to historic victories over Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur to set up a quarter-final meeting with Sheffield United. It was Crossan''s goal at Bramall Lane which secured a replay, with the Canaries then winning in Norfolk to progress to the semi-finals where they were eventually beaten by Luton Town via a replay. He went on to make over 100 appearances for City in all competitions before finishing his playing career in the country of his birth, and was inducted into the Club''s Hall of Fame in 2002.
Read more at http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/article/errol-crossan-3091185.aspx#pfdI1V11Ze05l1xo.99
[/quote]We were a Division Three side by then. Two seasons earlier we had finished bottom of Division Three South, and had to be re-elected (which was close to a formality back then). However the season after we finished in the top half of the table, and so went into the new Division Three rather than Division Four when the league was de-regionalised.

Correct Purple, but the journalist is probably too young to know the facts.

[quote user="ricardo"]Correct Purple, but the journalist is probably too young to know the facts.[/quote]If only there was some kind of instant fact-retrieval system available...

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="ricardo"]Correct Purple, but the journalist is probably too young to know the facts.[/quote]If only there was some kind of instant fact-retrieval system available...[/quote]I''ve got one, its called a good memory.[:D]

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="ricardo"]Correct Purple, but the journalist is probably too young to know the facts.[/quote]If only there was some kind of instant fact-retrieval system available...[/quote]I''ve got one, its called a good memory.[:D][/quote]I can''t remember when I had one![;)]

I''m sure most have seen this, but here is a few short clips of the man from the cup run - [url]http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/213539[/url]What strikes me in general from those clips is that we looked like a team with unbelievably strong team spirit, skill, speed, passion, desire and also aggression.  One thing that strikes me and one which you seldom see today is how aggressive we were right from the opposition''s kick off, even winning the ball from their kick off on a couple of ocassions.  Very apt even today and if we can apply these things to our final 3 games, it will give us a great chance.[Y]

What we''d give for a similiar result to that of the Cup run, what a tribute that would be, saw him play in his last game before he left.