Sign in to follow this  
Samwam27

In hindsight

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="Katie Borkins"]You can wonder about BJ all you like, but we''ve sold both him and Grabban, both who were less than effective at Premier League level and netted about £14.5 million for the pair.
I think the real focus should be on the players we signed. not those we let go.
And it will probably come down to living within our wage structure as a hedge against relegation & subsequent meltdown.
And I''m alright with that.
Which isn''t to say Naismith has been anything other than woeful.
[/quote]Do you think Naismith is better than Johnson?  [/quote]
It''s a moot point as we sold Johnson on deadline day and went months without him.  As such he wouldn''t have got into the side, so I''m going to say "yes" because Johnson was clearly reserves material at best.
That isn''t to say Naismith is looking like a good signing of course.

Would rather we had both Johnson and Naismith from beginning of season. Had we known that Brady would be used in defence for much of the season, Bradders could have been more than useful.

Johnson looked well off the pace in our opening game against Palace. The speed with which Palace counter-attacked that day, frankly, embarrassed Johnson.  He played his part in our promotion season, but probably fits better into a Championship set-up. Selling him for such a large amount was a good bit of business at the time.  As others have stated, it''s those that subsequently came in that haven''t succeeded.

[quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"]

PurpleCanary wrote the following post at 02/05/2016 3:38 PM:

Cantiaci Canary wrote:

Yes Smooth, getting out of the Championship again would be no easy matter. The Board would need to be prepared to mirror the spending of Burnley (Grey £9m), Boro (Rhodes £9m, Downing £6m), Derby (Johnson £6m, Ince £5m), Fulham (McCormack £9m) on high quality individuals. Replacing Hooper and Grabban when Bamford and Mbokani depart will be expensive if we want to do it properly. I just pray that we won''t scrimp and save.

Our wages policy is at least as important as one-off transfers fees in terms of keeping players if we go down and attracting replacements, and the figures from two seasons ago are instructive. Our income fell off a bit of a cliff, down from £94.3m to £52.1m. But spending on staff costs only dropped from £54m to £48m, and the more focused figure for player wages only fell from £37.7m to £34.9m.So we kept paying our players pretty well after that relegation, given that by Premier League standards our wages were among the lowest, in 17th place in that particular league table.

I need some guidance Purple Canary.

I have my copy of the accounts. Can you guide me to the Players Wages figure? Can see total staff costs on page 14.

Does it include promotion bonuses?

Thanks

[/quote]It is given on Page 1, as a key performance indicator, but as a percentage of turnover, so a bit of maths is required. I do not know if bonuses are included. It is a relevant question.

In hindsight, we would have offloaded Grabban in the summer to Bournemouthtoo, this might have sent Bournemouth down......

Agree Johnson has been a good player for us but the money we got was a no brainier at the time, I don''t think we''ve missed him at all, we''ve missed out on Klose type CB and Mbokani hasn''t given us the return we needed in goals.

Naismith, Jarvis, Mulumbu and Dorrans have all failed to deliver for the value of their fee and wages.

Hindsight no we need a crystal ball.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"]

PurpleCanary wrote the following post at 02/05/2016 3:38 PM:

Cantiaci Canary wrote:

Yes Smooth, getting out of the Championship again would be no easy matter. The Board would need to be prepared to mirror the spending of Burnley (Grey £9m), Boro (Rhodes £9m, Downing £6m), Derby (Johnson £6m, Ince £5m), Fulham (McCormack £9m) on high quality individuals. Replacing Hooper and Grabban when Bamford and Mbokani depart will be expensive if we want to do it properly. I just pray that we won''t scrimp and save.

Our wages policy is at least as important as one-off transfers fees in terms of keeping players if we go down and attracting replacements, and the figures from two seasons ago are instructive. Our income fell off a bit of a cliff, down from £94.3m to £52.1m. But spending on staff costs only dropped from £54m to £48m, and the more focused figure for player wages only fell from £37.7m to £34.9m.

So we kept paying our players pretty well after that relegation, given that by Premier League standards our wages were among the lowest, in 17th place in that particular league table.

I need some guidance Purple Canary.

I have my copy of the accounts. Can you guide me to the Players Wages figure? Can see total staff costs on page 14.

Does it include promotion bonuses?

Thanks

[/quote]

It is given on Page 1, as a key performance indicator, but as a percentage of turnover, so a bit of maths is required. I do not know if bonuses are included. It is a relevant question.
[/quote]

67% of T/0.  Got it . Thanks .

Hopefully we wouldn''t have to spend more than 1 pound on a player the "quality" of Hooper, as he''s proven he''s utter shite even at Champ level. I mean amazingly great strikers like Chris Wood, Tomer Hemed, and Jonathan Kodjia have scored more goals than he has. It''s not hard to find far better than Hooper, champ.

Hooper has scored 13 goals in 1384 minutes of football for Wednesday this season. Hemed has 17 goals in 3126 minutes. Kodjia has 19 goals in 3143 minutes and Wood has scored 12 in 2793 minutes so don''t let the facts get in the way of your very limited knowledge of football.

[quote user="JF"]Hooper has scored 13 goals in 1384 minutes of football for Wednesday this season. Hemed has 17 goals in 3126 minutes. Kodjia has 19 goals in 3143 minutes and Wood has scored 12 in 2793 minutes so don''t let the facts get in the way of your very limited knowledge of football.[/quote]

You probably shouldn''t let them stand in the way of your very limited knowledge of anything (fussball included) champ.

[quote user="jaemae2"]Hopefully we wouldn''t have to spend more than 1 pound on a player the "quality" of Hooper, as he''s proven he''s utter shite even at Champ level. I mean amazingly great strikers like Chris Wood, Tomer Hemed, and Jonathan Kodjia have scored more goals than he has. It''s not hard to find far better than Hooper, champ.[/quote]

And yet Hooper scored more goals per min played in the Championship.

And yet Hooper scored more goals than Mbokani, in what was a defensive team, compared to the attacking line up this season.

[quote user="Samwam27"][quote user="jaemae2"]Hopefully we wouldn''t have to spend more than 1 pound on a player the "quality" of Hooper, as he''s proven he''s utter shite even at Champ level. I mean amazingly great strikers like Chris Wood, Tomer Hemed, and Jonathan Kodjia have scored more goals than he has. It''s not hard to find far better than Hooper, champ.[/quote]

And yet Hooper scored more goals than Mbokani, in what was a defensive team, compared to the attacking line up this season.[/quote]

Too bad 2 of Hoopers goals were PKs and 1 of them was a fluke deflection that had no shot at being a goal. Whereas Mbokani has scored 5 goals from play in far less starts or appearances, champ. Please try again, it''s hilarious.

[quote user="jaemae2"][quote user="Samwam27"][quote user="jaemae2"]Hopefully we wouldn''t have to spend more than 1 pound on a player the "quality" of Hooper, as he''s proven he''s utter shite even at Champ level. I mean amazingly great strikers like Chris Wood, Tomer Hemed, and Jonathan Kodjia have scored more goals than he has. It''s not hard to find far better than Hooper, champ.[/quote]

And yet Hooper scored more goals than Mbokani, in what was a defensive team, compared to the attacking line up this season.[/quote]

Too bad 2 of Hoopers goals were PKs and 1 of them was a fluke deflection that had no shot at being a goal. Whereas Mbokani has scored 5 goals from play in far less starts or appearances, champ. Please try again, it''s hilarious.[/quote]

Hooper can''t even score as many goals as the amazing Lewis Grabban in the Championship.

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA This years "attacking lineup" AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH :breath: AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You''ve already made yourself look a tool, you''re just making it worse. Pop off and jot down what you know about the game on a postage stamp then come back and let us know.

[quote user="JF"]You''ve already made yourself look a tool, you''re just making it worse. Pop off and jot down what you know about the game on a postage stamp then come back and let us know.[/quote]

I thought you said "enough said". Words shouldn''t be this hard, champ. There there it will be ok, it will be ok :tussleshair:

[quote user="JF"]You''ve already made yourself look a tool, you''re just making it worse. Pop off and jot down what you know about the game on a postage stamp then come back and let us know.[/quote]

I thought you said "enough said". Words shouldn''t be this hard, champ. There there it will be ok, it will be ok :tussleshair:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The joke''s on you, loser.

[quote user="STFU"]HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The joke''s on you, loser.[/quote]

Pilka Nozna

In a way, we knew the answer wasn''t Bradley Johnson but we still seemingly haven''t found that answer. Perhaps that bit of steel and quality from outside the area might have dragged us through some of them games we looked no threat at all though. BJs goals often came when we struggled to break sides down and he would take the initiative (blackburn away prime example)

On the other hand, his lack of general quality could have shone through and we would be even worse off. I''d rather have kept him than have mulumbu in hindsight tho but that''s pretty easy to say now...

With the benefit of hindsight we should have kept the Wolf and let Neil''s more attacking minded play compared to Hughton show his true worth

The problem was not that we sold our POTS as we got £6m for him. The problem was that we didn''t spend the money (and more) on a replacement. AN brought in Brady but played him at LB having stated he doesn''t see him as a LM (yet now plays him there having finally realised what seemed to always be the blindingly obvious thing to do).

Jarvis was brought in as his replacement....enough said really. Said it at the time it was a mistake and when it was made permanent AN made it even worse for himself. We had someone who had the fight and spirit to dig in in games when played on the left and replaced him for a winger who is afraid to get hurt and can''t cross.

Our failures this season are bigger than 1 or 2 signings, its been across the club all season. Unlike last time we went down and Hughton was given a decent transfer budget and he bought the wrong players for his style (plus they weren''t good enough for the PL), this season not only have we not spent as much as we should''ve, the manager''s inexperience has also cost us.

Having said that, the reality is, if we do go down we know we have a manager who is learning and will learn, is driven to succeed, has already had an extraordinary impact on the 2 clubs he''s managed in 4 seasons. If we go down with this team we know we can get back up automatically and are much more likely to do it than we were last time.

This is a big learning curve for him, I think we need to embrace it. Easier said than done but I think he''ll be a great manager for us.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]The problem was not that we sold our POTS as we got £6m for him. The problem was that we didn''t spend the money (and more) on a replacement. AN brought in Brady but played him at LB having stated he doesn''t see him as a LM (yet now plays him there having finally realised what seemed to always be the blindingly obvious thing to do).

Jarvis was brought in as his replacement....enough said really. Said it at the time it was a mistake and when it was made permanent AN made it even worse for himself. We had someone who had the fight and spirit to dig in in games when played on the left and replaced him for a winger who is afraid to get hurt and can''t cross.

Our failures this season are bigger than 1 or 2 signings, its been across the club all season. Unlike last time we went down and Hughton was given a decent transfer budget and he bought the wrong players for his style (plus they weren''t good enough for the PL), this season not only have we not spent as much as we should''ve, the manager''s inexperience has also cost us.

Having said that, the reality is, if we do go down we know we have a manager who is learning and will learn, is driven to succeed, has already had an extraordinary impact on the 2 clubs he''s managed in 4 seasons. If we go down with this team we know we can get back up automatically and are much more likely to do it than we were last time.

This is a big learning curve for him, I think we need to embrace it. Easier said than done but I think he''ll be a great manager for us.[/quote]The main issue remains that we don''t have the bargaining power to always be able to do what the manager wants.We will always be limited in what we can do, and will frequently have to compromise.The money spent under Hughton was a lot for Norwich City, but fairly average in Premiership terms.