Sign in to follow this  
Samwam27

In hindsight

we''ve had little success in our transfers this season & once again we failed to bag any decent strikers to help get us goals.

Can''t help wondering, if we had kept Johnson, whether his attacking prowess could have filled that gap in that N0.10 position. At least he had an eye for goal, and Naysmith''s been ineffective so far.

Would have given us flexibility on left aswell, with Brady taking LB early in the season.

But hindsight''s a wonder ful thing!

[quote user="Samwam27"]we''ve had little success in our transfers this season & once again we failed to bag any decent strikers to help get us goals.

Can''t help wondering, if we had kept Johnson, whether his attacking prowess could have filled that gap in that N0.10 position. At least he had an eye for goal, and Naysmith''s been ineffective so far.

Would have given us flexibility on left aswell, with Brady taking LB early in the season.

But hindsight''s a wonder ful thing![/quote]I hear what you''re saying, but as much as I loved Bradley, I really don''t think he would have been more than a bit part player in the Premiership.And the money was waaaaay too good to turn down.

You can wonder about BJ all you like, but we''ve sold both him and Grabban, both who were less than effective at Premier League level and netted about £14.5 million for the pair.
I think the real focus should be on the players we signed. not those we let go.
And it will probably come down to living within our wage structure as a hedge against relegation & subsequent meltdown.
And I''m alright with that.
Which isn''t to say Naismith has been anything other than woeful.

The thing with Alex Neil signings is whos been successful, who would you be sad to see leave who he''s bought in. Just the 2 for me Klose & Brady, who will leave if the dreaded R Word happens. Think the likes of Pinto, Jarvis, Dorrans & Mulumbu could do a job in the championship but these guys ain''t premier league players.

Kean

Pinto Wisdom Klose Brady

Andreu Dorrans Mulumbu Jarvis

Bamford Mbokani Naismith

The thing I find more worrying are the players who stayed last time we went down who I think could''ve pushed for a move to another prem side, the likes of Olsson, Howson, Redmond & Tettey. Players we would like to keep if we go down again, are they willing to do that again. Once yer but twice I''m not so sure.

Is it time to move to on and freshen things up and see an end to the likes of Bassong, Martin, Ruddy & Wes etc. There''s some good players out there especially in the championship we could attract.

I think with hindsight we should have kept Gary Hooper and played him. He undoubtedly knows where the net is and let''s face it is a far better option than what Bamford has been. Is thriving in the championship for Wednesday and if that''s where we end up would have been a great option for us. As it is we face the problem of having just Jerome as our only real goal threat next season

[quote user="JF"]I think with hindsight we should have kept Gary Hooper and played him. He undoubtedly knows where the net is and let''s face it is a far better option than what Bamford has been. Is thriving in the championship for Wednesday and if that''s where we end up would have been a great option for us. As it is we face the problem of having just Jerome as our only real goal threat next season[/quote]
Did I miss the embargo on Norwich City FC signing strikers?

There was a press conference yesterday evening held by David McNally.

He said "Norwich will only have Cameron Jerome and Ricky Van Wolfswinkle next season." It was all very short and abrupt as he called the press meeting to an end and walked off.

Katie Borkins wrote the following post at 01/05/2016 8:34 PM:

JF wrote:

I think with hindsight we should have kept Gary Hooper and played him. He undoubtedly knows where the net is and let''s face it is a far better option than what Bamford has been. Is thriving in the championship for Wednesday and if that''s where we end up would have been a great option for us. As it is we face the problem of having just Jerome as our only real goal threat next season

Did I miss the embargo on Norwich City FC signing strikers?

No you just missed the as it is bit. How much would we have to spend on on who to get a forward of Hoopers quality in the championship? I can''t think of any names that stand out

I always thought Hooper could do a job for us, but never seemed to fit the managers plans.

Feel it''s unfair to slate Bamford as he''s hardly been given game time here. "If" we go down, then at least we have Jerome as a starter, and we know he could do a job in Championship. Would like to push boat our and go for McCormack as main striker as he''s proven goalscorer in Championship, and maybe try and sign Bamford.

Trouble is AN isn''t likely to change his "one up front" system, so we''ll have to wait and see.

It will be a lottery who stays and goes

[quote user="Samwam27"]I always thought Hooper could do a job for us, but never seemed to fit the managers plans.

Feel it''s unfair to slate Bamford as he''s hardly been given game time here. "If" we go down, then at least we have Jerome as a starter, and we know he could do a job in Championship. Would like to push boat our and go for McCormack as main striker as he''s proven goalscorer in Championship, and maybe try and sign Bamford.

Trouble is AN isn''t likely to change his "one up front" system, so we''ll have to wait and see.

It will be a lottery who stays and goes[/quote]
Yes, it will be a lottery.  All available players will have a number added into a tombola which Ed Balls will select from, with special entertainment from Mustard TV and the busker outside the former Habitat to "sex it up" a bit.
Or perhaps our recruitment will be based on the manager''s needs for players, the player''s wishes to stay/leave and the willingness of new players to sign for Norwich City FC.
So yeah, it is just like a lottery.
"It could be you!"
[I AM BEING HEAVILY SARCASTIC HERE, AND SADLY I FEEL THE NEED TO POINT THIS OUT]
F*cks sake, people.  Did we all have a brain tumour for breakfast?

I''d assumed that we''d spent 3 months of the summer haggling the protracted transfer of Brady with a view to playing him on the left side of midfield to replace Johnson, which given the money we got for Johnson ,I would have said fair enough.

But given that we then played Brady at left back for large parts of this season, I''m wondering whether we should have kept Johnson after all.

I''d feel fairly sure that he''d have contributed more over the whole course of the season that Jarvis would have?....and as you say ,did show that he did have a goal threat and wasnt afraid to have a go from distance or get in the box where it hurts....something severeley lacking all across our midfield this season

Forget Norwich''s season, it''s a success if anyone can make a comment on here without Mr Bortastic taking the p*ss.

[quote user="Samwam27"]Forget Norwich''s season, it''s a success if anyone can make a comment on here without Mr Bortastic taking the p*ss.[/quote]
I rarely prey on those who make sense.
The idea that the summer transfer window will be "a lottery" is stupid, and so I picked on it.
If you think about it, I hope you would agree.

[quote user="Katie Borkins"][quote user="Samwam27"]I always thought Hooper could do a job for us, but never seemed to fit the managers plans.

It will be a lottery who stays and goes[/quote]
Yes, it will be a lottery.  All available players will have a number added into a tombola which Ed Balls will select from, with special entertainment from Mustard TV and the busker outside the former Habitat to "sex it up" a bit.
Or perhaps our recruitment will be based on the manager''s needs for players, the player''s wishes to stay/leave and the willingness of new players to sign for Norwich City FC.
So yeah, it is just like a lottery.
"It could be you!"
[I AM BEING HEAVILY SARCASTIC HERE, AND SADLY I FEEL THE NEED TO POINT THIS OUT]
F*cks sake, people.  Did we all have a brain tumour for breakfast?
[/quote]

Boring, I stated the blindingly obvious for which I agree with you. Of course we don''t know who will stay/go. Nonetheless it was a comment, can you not let them go and "add" to the thread"?

Would you agree though that your comment about what people have for breakfast is somewhat disasteful? In hindsight perhaps you should have used a different analogy?

[quote user="Move Klose"]The thing I find more worrying are the players who stayed last time we went down who I think could''ve pushed for a move to another prem side, the likes of Olsson, Howson, Redmond & Tettey. Players we would like to keep if we go down again, are they willing to do that again. Once yer but twice I''m not so sure.

Is it time to move to on and freshen things up and see an end to the likes of Bassong, Martin, Ruddy & Wes etc. There''s some good players out there especially in the championship we could attract.[/quote]

I agree that the four you mention would be the main concern plus obviously Brady and Klose but why would we want to clear out Ruddy, Martin and Wes when those three will no doubt be happy to stay and are proven to be top quality championship players? The one thing we don''t want to do is a total rebuilding job because that''s when things take time and you get stuck in the champ.

If we go down I think we should re-sign O''Neil, hopefully can keep hold of Howson. I could see Redmond going but we have the Murphys and Madison to come in. It''s not inconceivable that 9 or 10 of the side that started at Arsenal would still be here and that side would be good enough for a crack at promotion, especially if supplanted by a couple of decent signings.

As mentioned earlier 14 million for Johnson and grabban is amazing business just wish it all happened in the summer.

I hate the thought of us back in the championship because it is such a hard league to get out of. Even some of our players that have been mentioned as stalwarts are not guaranteed fitness for the full season to get us out of that league.

I really hope AN let''s the guys play now, go out trying to score and control possession like we did at the start of the season. Wishful thinking but finally this season many of the archant journalist fave spoken the truth about our inadequacies at this level. Paddy so recent article and many of the 6 things we have learnt we have known but they never published.

It is that we need better quality in our first 11, squad and coaching staff. It will be as always a fascinating summer, one with great anticipation at the start. I hope it does not fall flat like last summer and I somehow hope we can go for it and try and stay in this league. We have been limping to relegation since our 11 match run with no win and although I hoped for 17th and above that period and losing key games warrants a move down a division.

But somehow we can stay up... AN and the players have to show some quality. We have Limited quality but we have three games to stay and make wembley a result feel worth it.

It feels as if we wasted that great day, poor signings, proof of inadequacies in current squad members in the prem, bad planning from back room staff and a wasted opp.

The money is great but we have achieved very little on the field other than AN getting some experience. But now we have 3 games where we can change all of that.

I set the challenge to AN and every single player as Delia did to us on the field against man city and JUST FOR GAWD SAKE SHOW UP AND PROVE YOU WANT TO BE IN THIS LEAGUE

I want us to be in this league and we still can save a season in 270 minutes and make Wembly mean something.

Yes Smooth, getting out of the Championship again would be no easy matter.

The Board would need to be prepared to mirror the spending of Burnley (Grey £9m), Boro (Rhodes £9m, Downing £6m), Derby (Johnson £6m, Ince £5m), Fulham (McCormack £9m) on high quality individuals.

Replacing Hooper and Grabban when Bamford and Mbokani depart will be expensive if we want to do it properly. I just pray that we won''t scrimp and save.

That''s a great point re spending. And the position we find ourselves in we will need to buy at least 2 strikers. But I should imagine we will recoup a few million from the sales of Klose Redmond Brady.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]Yes Smooth, getting out of the Championship again would be no easy matter.

The Board would need to be prepared to mirror the spending of Burnley (Grey £9m), Boro (Rhodes £9m, Downing £6m), Derby (Johnson £6m, Ince £5m), Fulham (McCormack £9m) on high quality individuals.

Replacing Hooper and Grabban when Bamford and Mbokani depart will be expensive if we want to do it properly. I just pray that we won''t scrimp and save.[/quote]Our wages policy is at least as important as one-off transfers fees in terms of keeping players if we go down and attracting replacements, and the figures from two seasons ago are instructive. Our income fell off a bit of a cliff, down from £94.3m to £52.1m. But spending on staff costs only dropped from £54m to £48m, and the more focused figure for player wages only fell from £37.7m to £34.9m.So we kept paying our players pretty well after that relegation, given that by Premier League standards our wages were among the lowest, in 17th place in that particular league table.

PurpleCanary wrote the following post at 02/05/2016 3:38 PM:

Cantiaci Canary wrote:

Yes Smooth, getting out of the Championship again would be no easy matter. The Board would need to be prepared to mirror the spending of Burnley (Grey £9m), Boro (Rhodes £9m, Downing £6m), Derby (Johnson £6m, Ince £5m), Fulham (McCormack £9m) on high quality individuals. Replacing Hooper and Grabban when Bamford and Mbokani depart will be expensive if we want to do it properly. I just pray that we won''t scrimp and save.

Our wages policy is at least as important as one-off transfers fees in terms of keeping players if we go down and attracting replacements, and the figures from two seasons ago are instructive. Our income fell off a bit of a cliff, down from £94.3m to £52.1m. But spending on staff costs only dropped from £54m to £48m, and the more focused figure for player wages only fell from £37.7m to £34.9m.

So we kept paying our players pretty well after that relegation, given that by Premier League standards our wages were among the lowest, in 17th place in that particular league table.

I need some guidance Purple Canary.

I have my copy of the accounts. Can you guide me to the Players Wages figure? Can see total staff costs on page 14.

Does it include promotion bonuses?

Thanks

[quote user="JF"]I think with hindsight we should have kept Gary Hooper and played him. He undoubtedly knows where the net is and let''s face it is a far better option than what Bamford has been. Is thriving in the championship for Wednesday and if that''s where we end up would have been a great option for us. As it is we face the problem of having just Jerome as our only real goal threat next season[/quote]Without hindsight, we should have kept hold of Hooper.

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]You can wonder about BJ all you like, but we''ve sold both him and Grabban, both who were less than effective at Premier League level and netted about £14.5 million for the pair.
I think the real focus should be on the players we signed. not those we let go.
And it will probably come down to living within our wage structure as a hedge against relegation & subsequent meltdown.
And I''m alright with that.
Which isn''t to say Naismith has been anything other than woeful.
[/quote]Do you think Naismith is better than Johnson?