Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

Financial Fair Play Rules - Bournemouth fined £7.6m

How effective when set against the millions they will continue to reap from staying in the PL...

Bournemouth paid a £7.6m fine for breaching Financial Fair Play rules after accruing huge losses last season en route to Premier League promotion, the club''s accounts have revealed.

The Football League did not confirm the size of the penalty, but details were disclosed in the club''s accounts, which show the Cherries made a £38.3m loss in winning the Championship in 2014-15.

That was up from £10.3m the previous season, mainly because of staff wages, which rose to £30.4m, more than double the club''s turnover of £12.9m.

Eddie Howe''s side won the Championship title last season but exceeded Financial Fair Play limits of permitted maximum losses of £6m for a season.

Championship sides Bolton, Fulham and Nottingham Forest were all placed under a transfer embargo after breaking similar rules.

The accounts also revealed that it cost the Cherries £4.6m to bring their stadium up to Premier League specifications.

Exactly. Breaking the rules has paid off for them massively. Good work by them this season, especially with all the injuries they suffered early on. Been without a few top players all season and still been really good. Not a fan of Eddie Howe, but well done to them.

Was just going to post something similar Bor, I wonder if the fact they spent over double their turnover on wages will lead to people dropping the ''plucky little Bournemouth'' attitude.... Though I doubt it.

These rules are going to be pointless for so long as the rewards in the premier league dwarf the sanctions that can be handed out. There is also a bit of a scandal surrounding Leicester''s adherence to the rules in the year they went up.

To be effective, the sanction should be linked to the amount the club profits from the breach - (i.e. they should lose a significant proportion of their premier league tv money for the following season).

[quote user="Jim Smith"]These rules are going to be pointless for so long as the rewards in the premier league dwarf the sanctions that can be handed out. There is also a bit of a scandal surrounding Leicester''s adherence to the rules in the year they went up.

To be effective, the sanction should be linked to the amount the club profits from the breach - (i.e. they should lose a significant proportion of their premier league tv money for the following season).[/quote]About as much chance of that as me playing for Real Madrid!  The sanctions are ineffective as are the FFP rules.  Tbh they might as well not be there.

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="Jim Smith"]These rules are going to be pointless for so long as the rewards in the premier league dwarf the sanctions that can be handed out. There is also a bit of a scandal surrounding Leicester''s adherence to the rules in the year they went up.

To be effective, the sanction should be linked to the amount the club profits from the breach - (i.e. they should lose a significant proportion of their premier league tv money for the following season).[/quote]About as much chance of that as me playing for Real Madrid!  The sanctions are ineffective as are the FFP rules.  Tbh they might as well not be there.[/quote]Whilst I don''t entirely disagree, nearly 7 million quid is a hefty fine. Almost a Lewis Grabban.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="Jim Smith"]These rules are going to be pointless for so long as the rewards in the premier league dwarf the sanctions that can be handed out. There is also a bit of a scandal surrounding Leicester''s adherence to the rules in the year they went up.

To be effective, the sanction should be linked to the amount the club profits from the breach - (i.e. they should lose a significant proportion of their premier league tv money for the following season).[/quote]About as much chance of that as me playing for Real Madrid!  The sanctions are ineffective as are the FFP rules.  Tbh they might as well not be there.[/quote]Whilst I don''t entirely disagree, nearly 7 million quid is a hefty fine. Almost a Lewis Grabban.[/quote]Not when you set it against the TV money for next season Morty, Lewis doesn''t come into it as he didn''t very often![;)]

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="morty"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="Jim Smith"]These rules are going to be pointless for so long as the rewards in the premier league dwarf the sanctions that can be handed out. There is also a bit of a scandal surrounding Leicester''s adherence to the rules in the year they went up.

To be effective, the sanction should be linked to the amount the club profits from the breach - (i.e. they should lose a significant proportion of their premier league tv money for the following season).[/quote]About as much chance of that as me playing for Real Madrid!  The sanctions are ineffective as are the FFP rules.  Tbh they might as well not be there.[/quote]Whilst I don''t entirely disagree, nearly 7 million quid is a hefty fine. Almost a Lewis Grabban.[/quote]Not when you set it against the TV money for next season Morty, Lewis doesn''t come into it as he didn''t very often![;)][/quote]How much is the TV money? However you look at it nearly seven million quid is between 5 and 10% off their transfer budget for next season.

120m according to this revcent article Morty

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3381083/Premier-League-sides-eye-TV-cash-bonanza-worst-season-relegated-flight.html

So breaking the ffp rules has been well worth it for them

[quote user="cityangel"]120m according to this revcent article Morty

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3381083/Premier-League-sides-eye-TV-cash-bonanza-worst-season-relegated-flight.html

So breaking the ffp rules has been well worth it for them[/quote]Possibly. But spending money doesn''t guarantee success.I still think its a pretty hefty fine, they haven''t got away entirely scot free.

And they''ve still got Grabban so that takes their penalty up to around £14 million.

Apples

Some of the Bournemouth fans on Twitter and just delusional and in denial over it.

I''ve read things like "oh well, we pushed the boat out and got lucky", and "if a musician invested in better instruments you wouldn''t call him a cheat".

Jesus, they are almost as thick as Ipswich fans. Complete to55ers.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]These rules are going to be pointless for so long as the rewards in the premier league dwarf the sanctions that can be handed out. There is also a bit of a scandal surrounding Leicester''s adherence to the rules in the year they went up.

To be effective, the sanction should be linked to the amount the club profits from the breach - (i.e. they should lose a significant proportion of their premier league tv money for the following season).[/quote]This is this getting absurd, with QPR and Bourenmouth having cheated their way to promotion, and - on the face of it - Leicester as well. We have to move beyound merely financial penalties for such clubs that get to the  Premier League. There are two sanctions that really would make clubs think twice about breaking the rules, given that they might end up back in the Championship. One is a transfer embargo. The other is a severe points penalty, probably linked to the size of the fraud, that would effectively make it impossible to be promoted back for at least a season.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Jim Smith"]These rules are going to be pointless for so long as the rewards in the premier league dwarf the sanctions that can be handed out. There is also a bit of a scandal surrounding Leicester''s adherence to the rules in the year they went up.

To be effective, the sanction should be linked to the amount the club profits from the breach - (i.e. they should lose a significant proportion of their premier league tv money for the following season).[/quote]This is this getting absurd, with QPR and Bourenmouth having cheated their way to promotion, and - on the face of it - Leicester as well. We have to move beyound merely financial penalties for such clubs that get to the  Premier League. There are two sanctions that really would make clubs think twice about breaking the rules, given that they might end up back in the Championship. One is a transfer embargo. The other is a severe points penalty, probably linked to the size of the fraud, that would effectively make it impossible to be promoted back for at least a season.[/quote]That may be so, but it''ll never happen which makes the whole set up totally useless as I said before, and might as well not exist.

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Jim Smith"]These rules are going to be pointless for so long as the rewards in the premier league dwarf the sanctions that can be handed out. There is also a bit of a scandal surrounding Leicester''s adherence to the rules in the year they went up.

To be effective, the sanction should be linked to the amount the club profits from the breach - (i.e. they should lose a significant proportion of their premier league tv money for the following season).[/quote]This is this getting absurd, with QPR and Bourenmouth having cheated their way to promotion, and - on the face of it - Leicester as well. We have to move beyound merely financial penalties for such clubs that get to the  Premier League. There are two sanctions that really would make clubs think twice about breaking the rules, given that they might end up back in the Championship. One is a transfer embargo. The other is a severe points penalty, probably linked to the size of the fraud, that would effectively make it impossible to be promoted back for at least a season.[/quote]That may be so, but it''ll never happen which makes the whole set up totally useless as I said before, and might as well not exist.[/quote]Really? Why so? The chairmen and owners of clubs that have played by the rules were already angry about the cheats, and the example of Bournemouth will only fuel that resentment.There are already points penalties for playing ineligible individual players, so there is a nice logic to extending that to players in general that a club could only afford (transfer fees and/or wages) by breaking the rules.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Jim Smith"]These rules are going to be pointless for so long as the rewards in the premier league dwarf the sanctions that can be handed out. There is also a bit of a scandal surrounding Leicester''s adherence to the rules in the year they went up.

To be effective, the sanction should be linked to the amount the club profits from the breach - (i.e. they should lose a significant proportion of their premier league tv money for the following season).[/quote]This is this getting absurd, with QPR and Bourenmouth having cheated their way to promotion, and - on the face of it - Leicester as well. We have to move beyound merely financial penalties for such clubs that get to the  Premier League. There are two sanctions that really would make clubs think twice about breaking the rules, given that they might end up back in the Championship. One is a transfer embargo. The other is a severe points penalty, probably linked to the size of the fraud, that would effectively make it impossible to be promoted back for at least a season.[/quote]That may be so, but it''ll never happen which makes the whole set up totally useless as I said before, and might as well not exist.[/quote]Really? Why so? The chairmen and owners of clubs that have played by the rules were already angry about the cheats, and the example of Bournemouth will only fuel that resentment.There are already points penalties for playing ineligible individual players, so there is a nice logic to extending that to players in general that a club could only afford (transfer fees and/or wages) by breaking the rules.[/quote]I seem to remember QPR being in line for a £50m fine and the Football League saying they weren''t going to let them play in their leagues, effectively banning them from League Football.  This of course never happened, neither the fine even though they had financially misbehaved, and the League Clubs were reportedly up in arms at their behaviour.  All bullsh$t as usual.  The punishments may well be there, but they are never used to the extent where they are a deterrent to clubs being mismanaged usually in an attempt to gain promotion to the Premier League.  With all the cash sloshing about in the PL, it''s a total waste of time fining a club £7/8m.  Make it £50m and a statutory 20 points deduction then they might think twice about abusing the rules.  Smaller clubs in the Football League get points deductions for misbehaving, when''s the last time a PL club got a points deduction.

It''s interesting how that Qpr decision has gone rather quiet. And the ramifications of Qpr successfully challenging it could be far reaching.

If that Football League rule isn''t legally enforceable then from a logical standpoint, no Football League rule is.

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Jim Smith"]These rules are going to be pointless for so long as the rewards in the premier league dwarf the sanctions that can be handed out. There is also a bit of a scandal surrounding Leicester''s adherence to the rules in the year they went up.

To be effective, the sanction should be linked to the amount the club profits from the breach - (i.e. they should lose a significant proportion of their premier league tv money for the following season).[/quote]This is this getting absurd, with QPR and Bourenmouth having cheated their way to promotion, and - on the face of it - Leicester as well. We have to move beyound merely financial penalties for such clubs that get to the  Premier League. There are two sanctions that really would make clubs think twice about breaking the rules, given that they might end up back in the Championship. One is a transfer embargo. The other is a severe points penalty, probably linked to the size of the fraud, that would effectively make it impossible to be promoted back for at least a season.[/quote]That may be so, but it''ll never happen which makes the whole set up totally useless as I said before, and might as well not exist.[/quote]Really? Why so? The chairmen and owners of clubs that have played by the rules were already angry about the cheats, and the example of Bournemouth will only fuel that resentment.There are already points penalties for playing ineligible individual players, so there is a nice logic to extending that to players in general that a club could only afford (transfer fees and/or wages) by breaking the rules.[/quote]I seem to remember QPR being in line for a £50m fine and the Football League saying they weren''t going to let them play in their leagues, effectively banning them from League Football.  This of course never happened, neither the fine even though they had financially misbehaved, and the League Clubs were reportedly up in arms at their behaviour.  All bullsh$t as usual.  The punishments may well be there, but they are never used to the extent where they are a deterrent to clubs being mismanaged usually in an attempt to gain promotion to the Premier League.  With all the cash sloshing about in the PL, it''s a total waste of time fining a club £7/8m.  Make it £50m and a statutory 20 points deduction then they might think twice about abusing the rules.  Smaller clubs in the Football League get points deductions for misbehaving, when''s the last time a PL club got a points deduction.[/quote]As far as I am aware there has still not been a decision on how much to fine QPR, but one way or another either they have already been fined or will be, even if it is not the £60m that was threatened but a much lesser sum. I don''t think there is any likelihood of QPR not being penalised at all, and the threat of  the League kicking them out was only if the club refused to pay whatever the fine was.I suspect there is a great deal of resentment being built up by such cases among the majority of Championship clubs who do play by the rules, with a realisation that merely financial penalties are not a deterrant.

Our own Mr Bowkett was fuming about QPR. I should imagine most other Championship clubs feel the same. Not sure what they will do about it though. The Championship is only the league it is because of the Premier League.

If we had somehow broken similar rules, that guaranteed our survival, would anyone be complaining?

Our fans would treat it the same as QPR, Bournemouth or fans of any other clubs who had broken the rules. But not complaining isn''t the issue. If there no point in keeping to the rules then there''s really no point in having rules. But then I''ve felt that way about a lot of rules this season.

In truth money is the ruler and the first warning in the bingo callers and bog cleaners manuel is that where money rules corruption prospers.....

None of the comments so far have produced any sort of argument or evidence, that what I said in the first place isn''t proving to be correct, in that FFP is a complete, ineffectual waste of time.

[quote user="OldRobert"]None of the comments so far have produced any sort of argument or evidence, that what I said in the first place isn''t proving to be correct, in that FFP is a complete, ineffectual waste of time.[/quote]thats because it is ineffectual, only Morty thinks 7m is enough, but he would argue black is white

£7m really is a small slap on the wrist in this context, a penalty unlikely to make an impact on preventing this sort of behaviour in the future.

[quote user="morty"]If we had somehow broken similar rules, that guaranteed our survival, would anyone be complaining?[/quote]

Of course not Morty, but behind all this FFP was in the interests of the clubs long term futures, fans are often child like snatching at the here and now. Anything that makes clubs more responsible in the way they are run has to be good.