Sign in to follow this  
Row D Seat 7

Rob Butler's comments on negative fans

As I said Morty, constructive criticism, not whinging......

Let''s take a players performance like Bassong.....he makes the same fundamental mistake on more than three or four times by dwelling on the ball, then when picked is it OK for fans to complain about him on here, airing their concern and questioning the managers choice? Or should they just keep quiet?

[quote user="Indy"]As I said Morty, constructive criticism, not whinging......

Let''s take a players performance like Bassong.....he makes the same fundamental mistake on more than three or four times by dwelling on the ball, then when picked is it OK for fans to complain about him on here, airing their concern and questioning the managers choice? Or should they just keep quiet?[/quote]And theres the rub[:)]

Let''s not forget this is a football forum for discussion and has no or very little impact on any outcome on the club itself.

It''s not that difficult to understand really, you can be critical of players, manager, board etc, you can even believe that we will go down, but that doesn''t mean you ain''t a fan and that you don''t get behind the lads 100% at every game.

I don''t think anyone disputes that fans have the right to a negative opinion. But by the same token, other fans surely have the right to call them on it?

Let''s take a players performance like Bassong.....he makes the same fundamental mistake on more than three or four times by dwelling on the ball, then when picked is it OK for fans to complain about him on here, airing their concern and questioning the managers choice? Or should they just keep quiet?

i think Norwich fans are some of the most understanding airing views /criticising

from the poll of AN as manager proved that that a high % of fans are still behind him

we seem to take failed seasons / poor form and managers that have come to the end of the time here and need sacking ( hoots worthy ) get more time here than other clubs

I think the majority of Norwich fans understand that the Board / CEO have put a structure in place (wages / transfer policy etc) that has not made it easy for our young manager, hence they are still with him.

[quote user="Vanwink"]It''s not that difficult to understand really, you can be critical of players, manager, board etc, you can even believe that we will go down, but that doesn''t mean you ain''t a fan and that you don''t get behind the lads 100% at every game.[/quote]

Yep. It''s also not that difficult to understand that you can be positive about our chances, and believe while it''s possible there''s hope, you can even believe we''ll stay up, but that doesn''t mean you''re and apologist, lack ambition or that you''re poison on this messageboard.

Apart from the obvious binmen, I think all of the normal posters on here are pretty dedicated supporters. Some people are just negative about life, but some go negative because they so want the team to win and it''s a protection against the ultimate disappointment.

The same as singing "We are Going Up" at Wembley with 6 minutes plus injury time to play - some people can do that because they are insanely and stupidly positive. I couldn''t - just in case Middlesbro scored two in 10 minutes.

Just like some people leave with 5 minutes left when we are 1-0 up, presumably comfortable in the knowledge that we have won. I can''t do that either, because the opposition could easily score two before the end.

For the record, I support the team completely, against whoever they play, in whatever division. I realise we COULD win all three and stay up. I just don''t think we will. But while I think there is a very, very slim chance I''m not going to stop singing and shouting just because Bassong gets caught in possession a couple of times.

I''m also not going to blame anyone because I don''t think anyone did anything deliberately to either not score/not defend/not buy a centre back/not buy a forward.

It is what it is. Norwich City are my team. We will probably go down. We may not. I''ll be gutted if we do; deliriously happy if we don''t - either emotion will last about four weeks until the fixtures come out and I plan my season again and by the time August comes around I''ll be fine again.

Better this than unbelievable boredom though!

[quote user="sgncfc"]Apart from the obvious binmen, I think all of the normal posters on here are pretty dedicated supporters. Some people are just negative about life, but some go negative because they so want the team to win and it''s a protection against the ultimate disappointment.

The same as singing "We are Going Up" at Wembley with 6 minutes plus injury time to play - some people can do that because they are insanely and stupidly positive. I couldn''t - just in case Middlesbro scored two in 10 minutes.

Just like some people leave with 5 minutes left when we are 1-0 up, presumably comfortable in the knowledge that we have won. I can''t do that either, because the opposition could easily score two before the end.

For the record, I support the team completely, against whoever they play, in whatever division. I realise we COULD win all three and stay up. I just don''t think we will. But while I think there is a very, very slim chance I''m not going to stop singing and shouting just because Bassong gets caught in possession a couple of times.

I''m also not going to blame anyone because I don''t think anyone did anything deliberately to either not score/not defend/not buy a centre back/not buy a forward.

It is what it is. Norwich City are my team. We will probably go down. We may not. I''ll be gutted if we do; deliriously happy if we don''t - either emotion will last about four weeks until the fixtures come out and I plan my season again and by the time August comes around I''ll be fine again.

Better this than unbelievable boredom though![/quote][Y]Agree! Though there are a few here that like their silly games[:)]

[quote user="Ian"]I don''t think anyone disputes that fans have the right to a negative opinion. But by the same token, other fans surely have the right to call them on it?[/quote]As much as other fans have the the right to call the positive percy''s on their opinion.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="sgncfc"]Apart from the obvious binmen, I think all of the normal posters on here are pretty dedicated supporters. Some people are just negative about life, but some go negative because they so want the team to win and it''s a protection against the ultimate disappointment.

Better this than unbelievable boredom though![/quote][Y]Agree! Though there are a few here that like their silly games[:)][/quote]I wholeheartedly agree with that!  [:D]

I know you think you''re being clever, but really all you''re doing is showing you''re just a bit of a d1ck that likes to stir things up.Which is pretty much proving my point.Cheers[Y]

[quote user="mrs miggins"]I think he''s just calling you out Morty for whining about other posters whining. That''s how I saw it anyway.[/quote]He''s another one of "those" who follow me round.And of course thats good, on topic debate?

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]I''d much rather it was expressed on forums like this one than expressed inside the ground on match days, so if this is a pressure valve for the faint-hearted then that''s all good with me.
However it can become a vicious cycle where negativity on here spills into negativity inside the stadium, and a lot of the moaning and whining on here is done by fifth columnists who absolutely reek of bin and are only here to stir the sh*t because a bad Norwich City season is as good as an Ipswich Town season gets.
[/quote]The faint-hearted positive percy''s can be just as, if not more so detrimental.  Far too easily accepting of failure and/or mediocrity, too frightened of change, too easily accepting of everything the Club tells them, unquestioning, too scared to push for more and achieve the very best possible.There have equally been some positive percy''s ''who absolutely reek of bin''.[:D]

[quote user="morty"]I know you think you''re being clever, but really all you''re doing is showing you''re just a bit of a d1ck that likes to stir things up.Which is pretty much proving my point.Cheers[Y][/quote]It''s not justy ironic and hypocritical it is also rather telling that you try to castigate me for the things that you do, that I don''t do.  Try and digest that a little bit if you can.[;)]

[quote user="mrs miggins"]I think he''s just calling you out Morty for whining about other posters whining. That''s how I saw it anyway.[/quote]That''s exactly what it was.But Morty either resorts to this, or claims that he didn''t understand, or just starts trying to play silly games.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="morty"]I know you think you''re being clever, but really all you''re doing is showing you''re just a bit of a d1ck that likes to stir things up.Which is pretty much proving my point.Cheers[Y][/quote]It''s not justy ironic and hypocritical it is also rather telling that you try to castigate me for the things that you do, that I don''t do.  Try and digest that a little bit if you can.[;)][/quote]"Ooh that morty is a bit of a d1ck, what I''ll do is try and be a bigger one, that''ll show him"Jeez, you''re not too sharp, are you?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="mrs miggins"]I think he''s just calling you out Morty for whining about other posters whining. That''s how I saw it anyway.[/quote]He''s another one of "those" who follow me round.And of course thats good, on topic debate?

[/quote]Awww don''t cry Mortimer.  I don''t follow you around.  I would actually have a reasoned debate with you, but I don''t think that''s possible.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="morty"]I know you think you''re being clever, but really all you''re doing is showing you''re just a bit of a d1ck that likes to stir things up.Which is pretty much proving my point.Cheers[Y][/quote]It''s not justy ironic and hypocritical it is also rather telling that you try to castigate me for the things that you do, that I don''t do.  Try and digest that a little bit if you can.[;)][/quote]"Ooh that morty is a bit of a d1ck, what I''ll do is try and be a bigger one, that''ll show him"Jeez, you''re not too sharp, are you?[/quote]A bit of a d1ck?[:^)]  You''ve definitely got that award all sewn up.

Ah there you go, another thread down the $hitter.Case rested I think.

So if the negative Nancys have the right to call out the positive Percys, and the positive Percys have the right to call out the negative nancys, was Rob Butler wrong after all?