Sign in to follow this  
Row D Seat 7

Rob Butler's comments on negative fans

For anyone who wants a messageboard with no negative opinions there''s always Norwichtalk, moderated by Morty. Tells you all you need to know about him I think.

[quote user="STFU"]For anyone who wants a messageboard with no negative opinions there''s always Norwichtalk, moderated by Morty. Tells you all you need to know about him I think.[/quote]Awww, thank you for reading and supporting Norwichtalk. Your support means a lot to me.[:)]

STFU wrote the following post at 06/05/2016 12:43 AM:

For anyone who wants a messageboard with no negative opinions there''s always Norwichtalk, moderated by Morty. Tells you all you need to know about him I think.

Lunatics and asylum come to mind 😄

I shouldn''t reply, but its me, so I will.After nearly 30,000 posts in Norwichtalk and zero threads deleted, and just one forum member temporarily banned for a week, statistics may just bear out that I am the most effective moderator, in the whole history of moderation.Have a great day[:)]

I used to take negative fans seriously. I used to think it was some sort of cause I needed to fight.

Nope, not anymore.

Fans are can be generally grouped into the two camps of negative and positive. The fringes of those groups are generally smaller than you think, they both make quite a lot of noise and both camps don''t really care too much about the football team.

The ultra negatives are usually just using the club as some sort of therapy. They bash the club because the car has failed it''s MOT or their boss is giving them a hard time. Then you''ve got the ultra positives, with the god complex, who believe that is they are the elite of fandom and that if we were all as positive as them then we''d be winning the champions league. Again, both pretty pointless standpoints.

The middle ground is occupied with the slightly damp pant brigade, the face painters, the "do you know how many lies I''ve driven this year to watch Norwich" crew

The last few seasons have been completely bonkers. I think I''d go as far to say as we are living through the most tumultuous, insane, brilliant, heart wrenching time to be a city fan. From getting beat 7-1 by Colchester to back to back promotions. From getting beat by a non league side in the FA cup to Wembley! It''s going to be hard for fans to maintain focus, energy and expectations.

You''ve got to see both sides of the coin. If not you''ll totally lose it. On a Monday when someone asks me about the game I''ll generally say "we were pretty good, but X had a poor game" or "we were awful but X put a shift in" I never come out with "we are crap, we are going down, all they players are secretly from Ipswich"

You can say I''m on the fence but I''m really enjoying this time as a Norwich fan. It''s not perfect but it''s non-stop! As a fanbase we need to cut out some of the malaise, some of the ultra emotions (both sides), some of the "the grass is greener over there" and some of the conspiracy theories/blatant lies and learn to enjoy it a bit more.

Love your club, because it''s a beautiful thing. It''s the heart of a county. A representative of a beautiful part of the world. Treasure the past, live in the present, question the future.

[quote user="Buh"]I used to take negative fans seriously. I used to think it was some sort of cause I needed to fight.

Nope, not anymore.

Fans are can be generally grouped into the two camps of negative and positive. The fringes of those groups are generally smaller than you think, they both make quite a lot of noise and both camps don''t really care too much about the football team.

The ultra negatives are usually just using the club as some sort of therapy. They bash the club because the car has failed it''s MOT or their boss is giving them a hard time. Then you''ve got the ultra positives, with the god complex, who believe that is they are the elite of fandom and that if we were all as positive as them then we''d be winning the champions league. Again, both pretty pointless standpoints.

The middle ground is occupied with the slightly damp pant brigade, the face painters, the "do you know how many lies I''ve driven this year to watch Norwich" crew

The last few seasons have been completely bonkers. I think I''d go as far to say as we are living through the most tumultuous, insane, brilliant, heart wrenching time to be a city fan. From getting beat 7-1 by Colchester to back to back promotions. From getting beat by a non league side in the FA cup to Wembley! It''s going to be hard for fans to maintain focus, energy and expectations.

You''ve got to see both sides of the coin. If not you''ll totally lose it. On a Monday when someone asks me about the game I''ll generally say "we were pretty good, but X had a poor game" or "we were awful but X put a shift in" I never come out with "we are crap, we are going down, all they players are secretly from Ipswich"

You can say I''m on the fence but I''m really enjoying this time as a Norwich fan. It''s not perfect but it''s non-stop! As a fanbase we need to cut out some of the malaise, some of the ultra emotions (both sides), some of the "the grass is greener over there" and some of the conspiracy theories/blatant lies and learn to enjoy it a bit more.

Love your club, because it''s a beautiful thing. It''s the heart of a county. A representative of a beautiful part of the world. Treasure the past, live in the present, question the future.[/quote]Great post.Thing that annoys me is the presumption on some fans part. That if you aren''t constantly whingeing about our plight, then by default you are happy with it.Which is just nonsense. No one is making excuses, no one is burying their head in the sand, most of us are intelligent enough to see exactly whats happening, but through common sense, realise that the only thing we can actually do about it is to keep supporting the team, and hope for the best.It has got with some people (though granted nowhere near as bad as the Hughton era) that its like having an imp on your shoulder, saying constantly to you, all day "Yeah your teams $hit mate!" I get enough of this from rival fans that I work with, I can do without it from supposed fellow Norwich City fans!As I have previously said, if Norwich City made me as miserable as some people here, I''d seriously find something else to be doing with my Saturdays.