Sign in to follow this  
ec-p

Can we go straight back up?

[quote user="morty"]I know its unlikely we will stay up, but it does tickle me seeing just who refers to us already in the Championship[:D][/quote]

who isn''t referring to us being down now?

they would be the more interesting ones?!?

Yes we can but not with the squad in its current state. Most of the positions are reasonably covered for a promotion push but we are dreadfully short on goals. yes we still have Jerome but need to replace the 35 or so goals that Hooper , Johnson and Grabban scored last time around. Given the inflated prices of championship players to get off the peg tried and tested this could cost £20 to £30m. We did not spend as much as we could last season so there should be some cash in the bank. Redmond will probably go for decent money and if Josh Murphy comes good then that money could go toward the replacements

I would get shot of Jerome along with the likes of Martin and Bassong and everyone else who has been at this club far too long , that also applies to the owners who have been holding this club back for years now .

As for strikers , all the top Championship strikers have all moved recently and theres not much down there now to pick from , pound to a penny we end up with dross from Scotland .

Will we bounce back , almost certainly not , we really need to start from scratch and we are already hampered with a manager who really is poor , the amount of total flops he has signed is staggering .

Trouble is if the players who we predict will leave, do, can we really afford to get rid of the likes of Jerome, Martin and Bassong? We''ll have no bugger left! I''m looking forward to seeing some of the youngsters but we''ll need some old experienced heads as well, it''s s long season lots of matches.In any event I think the 3 aforementioned will be fine in the Chump. Jerome won''t score you 20 goals but he''s a willing runner and can create space for attacking midfielders.

Everyone is already writing off Villa but they will be strong next season, as will Newcastle, but no guarantee they will walk it - huge pressure on them from the first game.

I think we will be around the top and we will have a decent chance again. But it is such a strong division now. The three going down are all substantially better than the three coming up.

When you consider everything, IMO we are actually better placed to give promotion a decent go than last season, should it be needed - though it could obviously hinge on who leaves. We have a lot of loan players to come back in on the back of decent seasons, so replacements ready for some roles - though clearly we will need to address the issue of strikers as we are rather light in that department.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]as you rightly point out Newcastle should be clear favourites to run away with this league...obviously a lot would depend on who they kept in the summer but as with their last side that walked the league with 104 points with the likes of Carroll,Nolan,Barton...."if " they kept the likes of Mitrovic ,Townsend,Shelvey , then one of the 2 automatic places is spoken for before a ball is kicked.

most clubs in this era who get relegated armed with parachute payments really should be able to at least be challenging around the play off area i.e Hull....and thats where I''d see us.

only if that club gets relegated in complete dissaray would even parachute payments not even help, such as QPR......and unless there is a huge shakeup on and off the field, thats where I''d expect Villa to be.

Pracahute payments have created something of a yo-yo club situation in the championship in recent years whereby there is such a financial advantage to an extent where you tend to see 3 or 4 clubs who are streets ahead of the rest of the division....a couple of very badly run clubs at the bottom i.e Blackpool, Bolton....and the rest of them are a much of a muchness.

What does it say about the overall strength of the league when even a poor side as Ipswich can still finish 7th?[/quote]

And we are better than Newcastle so thats both places taken