Sign in to follow this  
Capt_Canary

Out With The Old

If we go down then Seb Bassong still has to go, as does Whittaker and as does RVW

Let''s hope our scouting team is searching desperately for new strikers as apart from Jerome we won''t have anyone?

No Wavy. He is a great Champs striker. The fact the goals are three foot wider down there helps.

"Jerome is in the get rid of pile as well he has been truly awful this season."

He hasn''t as he''s put in some good performances. The problem is that in front of goal he has become a bit of a "banjo."

His missed header early doors today exemplifies this.

We are now preparing for the Chumps and he will be included.

Prey to Buddha we sign better though.

Actually it''s pretty scary scenario.......

We will more than likely lose, Brady, Klose, Pinto, Redmond, Howson and Niasmith (Not that losing Naismith is a bad thing).

We''ll no doubt try to offload, RVW, Turner, Whittaker, Mulumbu and Laffs.

We''ll be left with, Olsson, Ruddy, Martin, Tettey, Dorrans, Jarvis Bennett, Bassong, Jerome and Rudd.

That''s pretty concerning where we could find ourselves and I''m not convinced by AN and the current counting to improve our squad, so we might be reliant on a lot of kids next year, we could struggle to get anywhere near promotion next year........

Norwich is a club with no ambition merely to survive from one disaster to another with a sprinkling of success inbetwixt. Managers come and go, but little changes.How can anyone be surprised or gutted after today? You can''t get down there in the relegation places and just hope others will do worse because it never pans out like that.We had plenty of chances throughout the season, but blew it as per usual. I think a few seasons in the championship will do the club good. Get rid of half the team and build a mentally strong team from the ashes.

[quote user="Indy"]Actually it''s pretty scary scenario.......

We will more than likely lose, Brady, Klose, Pinto, Redmond, Howson and Niasmith (Not that losing Naismith is a bad thing). [/quote]Other than we''ll get nowhere as much as we paid for him

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="Indy"]Actually it''s pretty scary scenario.......

We will more than likely lose, Brady, Klose, Pinto, Redmond, Howson and Niasmith (Not that losing Naismith is a bad thing). [/quote]Other than we''ll get nowhere as much as we paid for him[/quote]

True and who''s to blame for that?

Let''s be honest which players will we actually make money on?

Postulating who might stay and who might go needs to be tempered with a dose of reality.

Who will be in the wanted by other clubs category, Klose for sure but I expect us to want at least £10m which might be too expensive. Brady a possibility needs to star at Euro''s as recent form has been poor. Redmond maybe but his value will not have been enhanced £5m seems fair. Howson only other asset but we don''t want to get rid of our most consistent performer.

As for getting rid unless they''re out of contract like Whittaker that will take money our frugal Board is not likely to spend. If we had stayed in PL could have afforded a clear out but not now. Bassong I believe still has year left, Martin in contract also along with number of other under performers.

Need recruits in the forward line and defence but no spending last Summer when PL money to look forward to cannot expect Board to invest. Can only see a lengthy stay in Champs which may be too long as Parachute next season dwarfs what we will get this year. Neil unlikely to survive a failure to get immediate promotion which will be difficult with these players.

Acceptance has finally set in and at the risk of a knee-jerk reaction to today''s fairly crushing performance and result, here is my assessment of the present squad looking towards another push for promotion next season. I choose to basically ignore contractual and financial issues for this post, merely my own thoughts and views on the first-team players.

Ruddy - Hope he stays but wouldn''t begrudge him if he moved on - He did stick around 2 years ago.

Rudd - Again hope he stays and this could be the year for him to become the keeper we all hope he could be. If Ruddy stays I wouldn''t blame him for looking elsewhere - He''s been patient and came in during a very difficult period this year.

Whittaker - Even though he''s a fairly solid performer at Championship level, I think it might be best for all parties if he moved on. I think a lot of the criticism aimed his way was unfair. Decent going forward but lacks pace and positional sense for top level.

Pinto - RB position hasn''t been resolved for a few years and perhaps Pinto could learn to adjust and improve his game a division below? Has some good attributes but I don''t think he''s the kind of ''mid-table Prem'' quality needed. Could be an asset next year.

Martin - The much-maligned club captain - This is a tricky one because he''s been a great servant and obviously has the kind of experience a club seeking promotion look for. He''s not as bad as many on this board make out (see last 2 games at...dare I say it...centre-back!) Championship is his level - My own opinion: keep him for next season and reassess this time next year.

Wisdom - Gone whether we want him or not I reckon - I like him and he could be an asset at Championship level but unlikely we''ll see him again in a yellow shirt.

Bassong - Another tricky one but I think for all concerned it''s time for pastures new. Even though he made an important contribution when AN brought him back in last year and he is good at Championship level, in my opinion his time here should come to an end. He''ll probably do a great job for a promotion rival next year!

Bennett - Championship level player and if he can stay injury free could be an important player next year. Keep.

Klose - Potentially the most important player on the books and huge efforts should be made to convince him to commit for next season. Defence could be built around him and then assess situation next May. Injury was a big blow a few weeks back - we''ll never know! He''ll probably move on.

Turner - If I''m right he''s still under contract and could provide decent cover next year but shouldn''t be a starter - I''d say he''ll move on.

Olsson - Really hope he stays - A great pro with decent pace, crossing ability and provides width. Don''t leave Martin!

Toffolo - Perhaps we''ll find out next season if he has what it takes - Would be great if he stepped up but I haven''t seen or heard enough to give my opinion.

Mulumbu - Very disappointed with this signing - contributed nothing of note all year. Can''t blame early injury on this unless we don''t know full story. Possibly could be effective at Champs level but if we can get rid...bye bye for me. Would like to be proven wrong on this one though.

Tettey - I like Tettey and I hope we''ll see him shielding, toe-poking and passing sideways again next year. Keep

O''Neil - A loyal warrior and probably could still do a job next year but we should be looking to build for the future. Thanks Gary and best of luck!

Howson - POTS for me and is probably one of the handful of players we have good enough for Prem level. Consistent, solid, good engine, tackles, can pass, gets forward. We''d do well to hang on to him but I suspect a second relegation with us will be enough to see him move on. He could be a great asset for a bottom-half Prem or promoted team. If he stays I''d make him captain.

Dorrans - Not the worst option to have at Champs level but certainly not got enough for Prem. I''d keep him and look again in a year. Should not be a guaranteed starter though.

Andreu - Came with AN but hasn''t even been close to making any real contribution. Can''t see him having much of a part to play next year either. If I was him I''d move on.

Odjidja-Ofoe - Bit of an enigma - He was having a pretty good career until he came to Carrow Road. I''d like to think he could become an important player next year and I''d love it to happen but I don''t see it. Shame but he should leave.

Jarvis - Hasn''t really done much for me and I wouldn''t be too sad to see him leave but he could prove useful at Champs level. Might be difficult to attract better quality this window. Keep

Redmond - Another difficult one. Potentially lethal at Champs level but can be anonymous. Has he been consistent enough to attract interest from other Prem teams? I''d like him to be around next season as he is a threat. Will he want to stay though? Have we stalled his progress?

Murphy Twins - I''d love to think one or both could step up and contribute next season. Have their loan deals served their purpose? We''ll probably see them on an irregular basis over the season but I can''t see either nailing a starting spot yet. Perhaps on loan again. Is Josh looking the more likely?

Maddison - Lots of talk about potential. I haven''t a clue about him but looks like we''ll find out soon. How often at Norwich does an exciting prospect become an important first-team starter? Relegation could provide him with an opportunity to make his mark.

Hoolahan - Tough decision for him and the club. A wonderful servant through good and bad but the clock is ticking. Would he be satisfied playing a bit-part role? Do we have a replacement? Still could have an important role for one more year in my view. Would be sad to see him leave but rebuilding is necessary. Could be the end of the Wes era. I hope he shines at the Euros.

Brady - Seems to have run out of steam a bit, particularly since taking a chunk out of Gary O''Neil''s head which was bad news for us and the Rep of Ireland team going into the Euros. But Brady is a consistent performer and is Prem quality. I''ve a feeling he''ll stick around and I hope he does.

Naismith - Seemed like a good signing but he came in during our pathetic second-half-of-season slump, got caught up in it and has been a disappointment. Had he made the impact we hoped for it might have been the difference but alas! Could be very effective in the Championship if his heart is in it. Will he ever be fighting fit? Keep

Bamford - Bye Bye - No thank you despite his form for Boro last year. Not the answer.

Mbokani - We won''t see him again after Everton. I''m still not convinced if he''s good enough for the Prem - certainly not in the system employed by AN this season. Lots of ifs and buts here - Thanks for the efforts and good luck.

Jerome - Was outstanding last year but can we really be surprised about his contribution this year? If he can get his head right he''s just the sort of player needed in a promotion push. If he got off to a good start in August he could become a hero all over again. Keep

RVW - (insert comment here)

Morris - Unlikely he''s ready yet for top-end Championship (which is hopefully where we''ll be!). Might have something to offer or possibly another loan. Has potential.

I know I''ve most likely left out some of the young recruits or players out on loan. Feel free to add to or pick apart my musings.

Going by the above and before any summer signings, the squad would look something like this:

Rudd(y), Kean, Pinto, Martin, Bennett, Klose(hopefully), Olsson, Toffolo,

Tettey, Howson(up to him), Maddison, Dorrans, Naismith, Brady, Jarvis, Murphy(s), Redmond(?),

Jerome, Morris

Same areas still look weak - RB, CB and CF. But the basis of a squad that could and should mount a serious challenge for a top-six finish in the Championship. (Then get promoted and struggle all season again!?)

For me I think Alex Neil deserves a chance to regroup and go again in August. Maybe a shake-up of the staff around him could freshen things up. Us supporters'' memories are short and a few wins would see the positivity and optimism return.

A sad and disappointing result to a difficult season but there''s no harm in looking forward.

Apologies for length of post - just realised how long it took me too

The problem with this team is that they are too good for the championship but not good enough to stay in the PL.

Therefore selling players that we don''t have to is stupid.

Miggins:

If a player wants to leave following a drab season and a (second) relegation (e.g. Howson, Klose, Brady, Redmond, Olsson, Ruddy), it''s difficult to stop them without upsetting the whole apple-cart. Each of those players would be difficult to successfully replace and they could make up half of a very competitive team at Championship level.

Reading back through my above post from yesterday which I did without checking full squad details, I forgot to include:

Kyle Lafferty (ineffective at Champs level two years ago and he''s probably had enough of East Anglia)

Ben Godfrey (probably still too soon)

Louis Thompson (is he ready for top-level Champs? Maybe)

Ebou Adams (surely too soon?)

Conor McGrandles (suffered a nasty injury?)

Jamar Loza (don''t think he''s scored all season at Southend)

Reece Hall-Johnson (possibly a role to play)

Unlikely any of these will be starters next season. At the risk of stating the obvious, hugely important transfer window coming up, mainly to shore up the same areas we''ve all been banging on about for 4 or 5 years. Which club isn''t always searching for reliable centre-backs and scoring centre-forwards?

A team with a spine of Ruddy, Bennett, Klose, Tettey, Howson, Jerome (?), 8-10m Striker, supported by players such as Pinto, Olsson, Brady and possibly Josh Murphy backed up by the likes of Martin, Jarvis, Naismith, Maddison, Jacob Murphy, Toffolo would be a firm contender for top six Championship. Not forgetting potential new signings (of course some of the above may well leave).

Apologies for having thrown in the towel with two games still to play but on current form it''s extremely unlikely we can overhaul Newcastle & Sunderland. Be great to be proved wrong but can''t see it.

Looking back over the season, it''s difficult to remember us scoring enough goals in the first or last 15 minutes of matches, usually strong indicators of the eventual victor. After the 2-6 Newcastle drubbing, AN''s philosophy was badly shaken. From then on, we rarely ever really looked threatening going forward for the entire rest of the season. A decent midfield huffed and puffed but goals dried up. Two all too short mini-flurries over Christmas and last month kept us in with a shout. But a Championship standard defence can only hold on for so long at this level before cracks appear and mistakes are punished. We were fairly fortunate with injuries (Mulumbu, Jarvis, Vadis) up until we lost Tettey, Klose (Naismith?) and now Howson.

Toothless up front & just not quite good enough at the back = Relegation

Such a shame as it wouldn''t have taken much more to reach the 40 point mark - just a small bit more consistency and a few late goals. It''s probably fair to say that a more experienced manager might have helped put some games to bed when we were on top (e.g. that painful 4-5 Liverpool game, arguably both West Ham games, possibly Stoke at home), maybe not - doesn''t matter now. But there are 4 or 5 teams above us who could so easily have been below us.

The table doesn''t lie - we are one of the three worst teams and deserve to go down. Time to begin planning for another promotion assault.

Too many of this squad are now stigmatised with two relegations and a losing mentality.

Even if a large number were retained for next season and IF, by some miracle, we secure an instant promotion, they have twice now proved themselves ''unfit for purpose'' in the Premier League, and so would have a shelf-life of 12 months at best.

More importantly, AN needs to adopt a style of football that is not only easy on the eye, but produces an end product.

Only a select few of the current squad should be on a contract longer than 12 months.

As our forays into the foreign transfer market can be categorised as woeful, we should be looking to the Championship and below to hopefully attract the young, hungry, skilful, goal-scoring players that have the potential to make it in the Premier League in the future.

mrs miggins wrote the following post at 07/05/2016 11:53 PM:

The problem with this team is that they are too good for the championship but not good enough to stay in the PL.

Therefore selling players that we don''t have to is stupid.

Yep.

Sadly I think Redmond will go, but as for the likes of Jerome, he will again get the number of chances he needs and will come out of the next season with lots of goals and people thinking " ah perhaps he is good enough for the PL"

We then need to sell the guy with a big slap on the back and bring in the new Michu that we have been scouting all season.😄

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]Why ditch Whittaker when he''s barely played & is a good Championship standard right back?
[/quote]

There is a bit of an argument there alright but he''s nearly 32, he''s been frozen out for most of the season, he''s been on the receiving end of a lot of unfair stick from ''fans'' which has to be on his mind somewhere, he''s been through two grim relegation seasons here in 3 years and probably most importantly he''s fairly average - I think we have better on the books in Pinto & Martin and we could probably attract a younger and better full-back if deemed necessary.