Sign in to follow this  
Yellow and Green

Positions needed for next season

After the disappointment of this season, there are a lot of posts about getting rid of the dead wood in the squad - regardless of whether we somehow manage to stay up.

Assuming we go down, I think that the players most likely to be poached would be Klose, Redmond and Brady. People like Howson, Pinto and Olsson etc might leave, however I think they''ll stay. We only sold Snodgrass and Fer last season and managed to keep hold of the rest - despite a wobble from Olsson!

The names commonly mentioned as the ''dead wood'' on the other threads are Whittaker, Turner, Lafferty, Andreau, and RVW. Dorrans and VOO also don''t offer much, however they do provide cover. Bassong and Naismith have been mentioned but, whilst I wouldn''t be too disappointed if they left, I reckon they can do a job in the Championship. I would actually like to keep O''Neil for another season.

Making the huge assumption that those players will leave, this is what our squad will look like:

GK: Ruddy, Rudd

RB: Pinto, Martin

LB: Olsson, Toffolo

CB: Bennett, Bassong

RM: Murphy

LM: Jarvis, Murphy

CM: Howson, Tettey, O''Neil, Thompson

ACM: Hoolahan, Naismith, Maddison

ST: Jerome, Morris

There are obvious areas that I would like to concentrate the budget on, namely two centre backs, a right winger and two or three forwards.

Any realistic ideas of names for who could improve the squad?

Striker wise, I would like to see someone who is proven to score in the Championship or a player like Jerome - who isn''t quite good enough for the Prem, but is great in the Champ.

People like Jonathan Kodjia (big, strong striker for Bristol City) or Nahki Wells (skilful, nippy striker for Huddersfield) have both bagged just under 20 each this season and could be good acquisitions.

Any other thoughts/ideas?

Assuming they don''t get promoted, Lewis Dunk and Tom Lees have both been excellent at CB this year. Both English, and in their twenties. Probably need a new centre mid as well. Tettey has a knack of getting injured and getting suspended. Not sure who to suggest there though. We definitely need 2 new strikers. McCormack (although for some reason he seems attached to Fulham). Can''t think of any other strikers off the top of my head.

CBs wise (if Klose does go) I would like to see Tom Lees from sheffield wednesday (if they don''t go up) come in and Ecuele Manga who is currently at Cardfiff City.

ST wise Ross McCormack and Nakhi Wells for me. Nakhi wells has scored 17 league goals in a team that finished 19th and is only 25. If he were to play at Norwich he would surely be given double the opportunities to score, same goes for McCormack.

McCormack and Tom Cairney would be good acquisitions. Wasilewski of Leicester is available on a free and would be decent option for a season

[quote user="Tommo"]Wasilewski of Leicester is available on a free and would be decent option for a season[/quote]Possibly the most frightening-looking man I have ever seen on a football pitch. Looks like he''d pull your head clean off your shoulders. Let''s get him in.