Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

Relegation and the Kübler-Ross model

First published in the last 1960s, the Kübler-Ross model offers a set of typical stages in the cycle of accepting relegation from the Premier League.
For all of our own goods, individual and collective, I suggest you read, familiarise, and locate your own position on this five point model.  Once we have all reached Point 5, it will be possible to interact on this message board without effing, jeffing, racism, homophobia or digs at people with degrees in Sociology.
1) Denial — The first reaction is denial. In this stage individuals believe that relegation is somehow not going to happen, and cling to a false, preferable reality.
2) Anger — When the individual recognizes that denial cannot continue, they become frustrated. Certain psychological responses of a person undergoing this phase would be: "Why us? It''s not fair!"; "How can this happen to us?"; ''"Who is to blame?"; "Why would this happen?".
3) Bargaining — The third stage involves the hope that the club can avoid relegation. This tends to involve scenarios such as Everton beating Sunderland, Norwich beating Watford and Everton, etc etc.
4) Depression — "I''m so sad, why bother with anything?"; "We''re going to be relegated soon, so what''s the point?"; "I miss my beloved club, why go on?"
During the fourth stage, the individual despairs at the recognition of Championship football. In this state, the individual may become silent, refuse visitors and spend much of the time mournful and sullen.
5) Acceptance — "It''s going to be okay."; "I can''t fight it, I may as well prepare for it."
In this last stage, individuals embrace the inevitable future. Relegation typically comes with a calm, retrospective view for the individual, and a stable condition of emotions.
Yours with love,
Katie (stage 5)
xx

You missed 6)- Dillusion - Supporters convince themselves that The Championship is a far better place to be than the PL - more games, more 3pm Saturday kick-offs, new grounds to visit etc etc etc. 7) Fantasy - They immediately imagine a league where we score more goals, win more matches and get promoted back, at the first time of asking, to the very same league that they were so glad that we just got relegated from. 

I didn''t miss them, because they aren''t in the original model.
However, I would suggest you could group (6) as part of acceptance, and (7) is normal pre-season optimism.

While I am not delusional about the fact that we are going down because we deserve it, I think as fans we have a right to ask "why?" and maybe not who is to blame but "what can we do differently next time?"

How about the Piñk-un-forûm model:

1. Scape goating.... That player who missed a pass, or didn''t shoot, messed up one cross... Yup we have found the route of our problems

2. Self destruction.... Well if we are down let''s try and drive out anyone and everyone connected to the club, they are all guilt as sin and have to go

3. The sentimental phase... Every single former player or manager, or player out on loan becomes an instant do no wrong hero, if only we had seen the light.. Arghh what were we thinking

4. Finishing with the apocalypse phase.... We are going down, Redmond will leave and will damage the new pitches being layed at colney by doing donuts in his fancy new car from the transfer cut before speeding into the sunset, howsons knee has to be amputated and the club sees back to back delegations, as we Norwich are not capable of bouncing back. Ever. Nada

[quote user="AmericanNorwichFan"]While I am not delusional about the fact that we are going down because we deserve it, I think as fans we have a right to ask "why?" and maybe not who is to blame but "what can we do differently next time?"[/quote]

I''m confused here American.

Are you Stage 2 or Stage 5?

Little bit of both. But I don''t see why it should be made fun of or discouraged to ask questions. I don''t see anything wrong with asking what we did wrong this time and how do we avoid doing it next time.

Surely and Canary worth his/her salt is already hard wired for the jubilation and ultimately despair of the promotion/relegation cycle !!

As such we should all achieve stage 5 within hours of it being confirmed.

I have experienced 16 changes in division in my tenure as a city fan (40 years) actually had a run of 6 seasons in the old Divison 1

More recently however we have been promoted and/or relegated 8 times in the last 13 seasons....anyone struggling to come to terms with the reality, I suggest looks elsewhere to fill their spare time, I''ve heard bridge clubs arent so stress

ful ;)