Sign in to follow this  
whoareyou?

Signing failures - where its all gone wrong

Just in the last few seasons:RVWLaffertyVooLouis ThompsonGrabbanNaismithBamfordDorransMulumbuMcGrandlesAndreuBecchioCuellarMiquelDoesn''t make good reading at all. Probably missed one or two as well. There are three different managers whilst those players were signed too. I wonder who is making the decisions?

It would be interesting to know, for the sake of balance, how many players other clubs get wrong.

[quote user="morty"]It would be interesting to know, for the sake of balance, how many players other clubs get wrong.[/quote]I''m not sure it would be that interesting to be honest, morty.Saying that, I know somebody who spent seven years studying for a PhD in large animal diseases.

[quote user="julian hudson"][quote user="morty"]It would be interesting to know, for the sake of balance, how many players other clubs get wrong.[/quote]I''m not sure it would be that interesting to be honest, morty.Saying that, I know somebody who spent seven years studying for a PhD in large animal diseases. [/quote]You''re probably right[:D]Its more the point that, I should imagine, every single club has a similar list of players who have never quite made it.The difference with us though is that if we screw it up (and the chances are higher for us because we always have to try and get value for money) we don''t have the means to sort it out. Paying less for players than other clubs do, always makes it more of a gamble on our part. Its rare, at this level, that we actually buy a player who is the finished article. Klose is probably the closest that springs to mind.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="julian hudson"][quote user="morty"]It would be interesting to know, for the sake of balance, how many players other clubs get wrong.[/quote]I''m not sure it would be that interesting to be honest, morty.Saying that, I know somebody who spent seven years studying for a PhD in large animal diseases. [/quote]You''re probably right[:D]Its more the point that, I should imagine, every single club has a similar list of players who have never quite made it.The difference with us though is that if we screw it up (and the chances are higher for us because we always have to try and get value for money) we don''t have the means to sort it out. Paying less for players than other clubs do, always makes it more of a gamble on our part. Its rare, at this level, that we actually buy a player who is the finished article. Klose is probably the closest that springs to mind.[/quote]I can''t get into complex discourse right now, morty, I''ve been on the pi*s since Thursday afternoon, but I can at least contribute the fact that the big spenders purchased players that finished behind Leicester.

[quote user="julian hudson"][quote user="morty"][quote user="julian hudson"][quote user="morty"]It would be interesting to know, for the sake of balance, how many players other clubs get wrong.[/quote]I''m not sure it would be that interesting to be honest, morty.Saying that, I know somebody who spent seven years studying for a PhD in large animal diseases. [/quote]You''re probably right[:D]Its more the point that, I should imagine, every single club has a similar list of players who have never quite made it.The difference with us though is that if we screw it up (and the chances are higher for us because we always have to try and get value for money) we don''t have the means to sort it out. Paying less for players than other clubs do, always makes it more of a gamble on our part. Its rare, at this level, that we actually buy a player who is the finished article. Klose is probably the closest that springs to mind.[/quote]I can''t get into complex discourse right now, morty, I''ve been on the pi*s since Thursday afternoon, but I can at least contribute the fact that the big spenders purchased players that finished behind Leicester. [/quote][:D][Y]

I was never convinced by this recruitment chap from Burnley. Especially after that embarrassing email he sent out on last day of window. Was shocked, but not surprised, that we were then the club to snap him up.

What does Tony Spearing bring to the party? He''s been at Blackburn, Reading and West Brom. Hardly clubs that are renowned for fantastic recruitment...

Grabban was a good signing. He was useful in getting us promoted and we sold him for a nice chunk of money.

[quote user="GJP"]Grabban was a good signing. He was useful in getting us promoted and we sold him for a nice chunk of money.[/quote]Yeah, but what are the odds on Bournemouth doing a Leicester next season with Grabban scoring 19 goals?I may as well put a quid on just in case [:)]

RVW - poor scouting on himLafferty - cheap, could have worked out, still a decent Champ strikerVoo - arrived and got injured, think he is a decent Champ level playerLouis Thompson - youngster, investment for the futureGrabban - got him quite cheap, good Champ level striker and sold at a profitNaismith - played well against Liverpool first up and then started playing like a headless chickenBamford - on loan and probably on trial, many dismissed Kane when he came in similar circumstances jury outDorrans - played well on loan, then we signed him and it went pear shapedMulumbu - impressed and then got injured, not got back into formMcGrandles - youngster for the futureAndreu - suspect part of deal to bring in ANBecchio - swapped for the lump that was MorrissonCuellar - on a free was`nt he? played in a bad side where they all looked awfulMiquel - youngster for the future did`nt work outThat`s not an awful list for 3 seasons of duff signings, might have bought you a Soldado or a Depay but not enough for a Shaun Wright Phillips

Grabban and Dorrans were okay signings, Thompson and McGrandles are for the future. Remove those and the list is probably no longer than a lot of other clubs. Only issue for us is that it''s hurt us as we had no other quality options. RvW couldn''t score so we got relegated. This season Mulumbu has been a complete flop, as have Naismith and Bamford. But then Jarvis, Brady, Klose have all been successes to some extent so I''d say it''s about even.

Strange post.

That list is to do with the managers bringing them in.

Start of where it all went wrong this season was not addressing the lack of quality in the summer transfer window.

And having a inexperienced manager learning his ''trade'' in the big time at our expense

I''d add Hooper to that list too,

For me the big problems (and I can''t say mistakes) is that we forked out a huge amount of money one season for just 2 players, Hooper and RVW and each time we thought we were doing brilliant signings and fair to say both failed.

We need another quality center back, we need someone who can score and we''d be pretty much sorted - where to find that striker thou I don''t know.

Since AN arrived we have only had one successful signing Klosse. They say managers are judged on their signings , tactics and substitutions well there you go

Biggest problem in my eyes: recruitment

And it''s going to continue to be an issue.

So many contributing factors and some harsh truths required for some fans.

Players want security. And we can''t offer them that. Our club is crazy. Up and down the leagues. Most players aren''t up for that they want the easy life and guaranteed (as far as possible, based on historical track record) top tier football. That''s why they go to stoke and west brom.

A player will forego security for the other kingmaker in making a signing - money. Fact is, we ain''t got enough. We ain''t broke but the reason we aren''t payin top wages like other clubs is, news flash here peeps, we ain''t owned by a goddam billionaire. And everyone else is. And I mean everyone.

And no-one is going to come in and buy us. We couldn''t be more unfashionable to a big money backer. At this point sacking delia for someone else who''s got no cash just like her is plain pointless.

So we can''t offer security and we can''t offer money. So we are in the bargain basement.

It can be argued that we can spend our money better. Absolutely agree. A better scouting network could probably do better and that should be looked at as a priority.

Only other way to go is youth. Foster it from academy and trust it. But it''s not secure.

Interesting times.

Our record is pretty shocking tbh...

15/16

Timm Klose

Steven Naismith

Robbie Brady

Graham Dorrans

Ivo Pinto

Matt Jarvis

Andre Wisdom

Youssuf Mulumbu

Patrick Bamford

Dieumerci Mbokani

I''d say only two of those have been real successes- Brady and Klose. Jury is out on Pinto, Mbokani and Wisdom have done a job but really only Klose and Brady have improved the first 11.

14/15

VOO

Lafferty

Grabban

Jerome

Miquel

Andreu

Cuellar

O''Neil

Hooiveld

Grabban and Jerome were successes for one season but from this batch of signings only one of them is starting regularly (O''Neil) and that is mainly down to injuries. Jerome sometimes starts but is out of his depth.

13/14

RVW

Hooper

Fer

Olsson

Redmond

Garrido

Yobo

Elmander

Jonas

Olsson and Redmond have both been decent but that is all.

In every single one of those last three seasons we''ve had far more misses than hits and generally they are players we;ve spent a decent wedge on. There are quite a few that were ''ok'' here (Hooper, Wisdom, Mbokani, Olsson) and some others that it can be tough to judge (VOO, Pinto) but in terms of players you can say ''yeah he really improved our starting 11'' it is pretty thin on the ground.

Fundamentally we seem to think that a player who is deemed not good enough for low to mid table premier league teams, will be able to do something different for us. Its like employing a person from a direct competitor that the competitor has decided is not good enough for them. Do other premier league team do this? Why sign Naismith

Bamford Dorrans Mulumbu or Jarvis? It''s like a bloody graveyard.

That bloke from Burnley is another example. Burnley have really missed him haven''t they?

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Daniel Ayala has not been mentioned as a success or failure.[/quote]

That is going quite a long way back!

I''d say adding Hooper to the list is harsh (he''s a good player we just never used him properly/gave him a fair go) although I would agree that the signing of Hooper and RVW that summer was indicative of the lack of focus/thought/strategy that summer and since in that we bought two strikers, for big money who clearly could not and were never going to be able to play together. We also had a manager who preferred one up front, a role that neither was really suited to at premier league level. We seem at times to sign players because we have an opportunity to sign them rather than looking at who might be the best fit for the team/squad and how we want to play.

Whether that is indicative of the manager not having the level of control we assume over certain signings or departures is open to debate? I have, however, heard from a source that I regard as reliable that the decision to sign RVW was not Chris Hughton''s.

I agree with almost everything that Buh said with the exception of being an unfashionable prospect, the various foreign billionaires all want a piece of the Premiership action, however this is a finite resource, so they will look at other clubs that have flirted with the Premiership over the years (Fulham, Reading, Birmingham, Blackburn and Forest spring to mind) so I would argue that we are a prospect, however the price has to be right, and in our case the suitor has to be right (which I do not have a problem with).

[quote user="Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB"]I agree with almost everything that Buh said with the exception of being an unfashionable prospect, the various foreign billionaires all want a piece of the Premiership action, however this is a finite resource, so they will look at other clubs that have flirted with the Premiership over the years (Fulham, Reading, Birmingham, Blackburn and Forest spring to mind) so I would argue that we are a prospect, however the price has to be right, and in our case the suitor has to be right (which I do not have a problem with).[/quote]

One of our issues in terms of investors or new buyers is that we are too well run. Most of these clubs have been picked up on the cheap by foreign owners when about to hit the wall. They therefore buy the clubs on the cheap when at a low ebb and bank on reaching the prem at which point they are already quids in. We are debt free our owners will expect to receive the going rate should they sell up, even in the championship.

[quote user="Walt kills mike"]Of course, Alartz is right and we should''ve sacked AN immediately after Wembley[/quote]

This is not as crazy as it first seems. Watford did this and look what happened to them.