Sign in to follow this  
Curious Canary

Massive Change No 1 – Needed Now

Physically we have not been good enough.

There is not enough pace or shooting ability in midfield.

There is not enough aggression upfront.

So starting now:

Hoolahan (age 33) and O’Neil (age 32) are out of the squad.

Mbokani (age 30) also out, too weak for a big bloke, keeps falling over, and how can you play in over 20 games and not get even one yellow card?

Clearly there are other changes needed but let’s start with these as we have options in these positions.

[quote user="Curious Canary"]Physically we have not been good enough.

There is not enough pace or shooting ability in midfield.

There is not enough aggression upfront.

So starting now:

Hoolahan (age 33) and O’Neil (age 32) are out of the squad.

Mbokani (age 30) also out, too weak for a big bloke, keeps falling over, and how can you play in over 20 games and not get even one yellow card?

Clearly there are other changes needed but let’s start with these as we have options in these positions.[/quote]Agree with this. We need pace and power. Massively lacking yesterday through the middle. Good work down the wings was just wasted.

In a way, I agree - we have an ageing squad, with many of the players over the age of 28. However it isn''t as simple as having pace and power - it''s the quality we lack.

It is so painful to see us get into the final third, only to be let down by a poor pass, cross or finish. Jerome and Naismith are the most guilty in this area - and Mbokani doesn''t have enough of a goal threat.

We need to be careful this summer. Alex Neil proved that he is capable of succeeding with this squad in the Championship, however it does need refreshing.

It''s so important that we sort the scouting/recruitment out and get it right this summer.

Yes Howie right now.

We are 20/1 to stay up (should be more like 200/1 in my view).

We need to try and win the next game and at the same time start planning for next season.

Whatever happens I don’t see Hoolahan and O’Neil helping on either front.

And if we offer a contract to Mbokani for next season then we really have lost the plot.

So Wednesday it has to be:

Dorrans (played several games in the early part of the season when we were playing well)

Mulumbu (not been impressed so far but then has only featured in 5 of the 37 league matches all season).

Brady and Redmond.

Naismith (some of the criticism is a bit over the top, he’s not Messi but if there’s a shooting chance I’d rather see it go to Naismith than Hoolahan).

Jerome (probably) or Bamford (not sure why we signed him unless it was for cover, only 2 starts in a dozen games, a draw with Man C and a win at West Brom, maybe we should have given him more starts).

Jarvis and Andreau or Odidja Ofoe on the bench (are they still here?) or a Murphy.

Of course this won’t happen and we probably won’t score for the fifth game in a row.

[quote user="Curious Canary"]Whatever happens I don’t see Hoolahan and O’Neil helping on either front.[/quote]Totally disagree. If they are happy to stay then their experience will be invaluable next season. Although he won''t be a guaranteed starter, Wes still has the quality and creativity to be able to unlock defences and change games. If he wants to stay, why get rid? Maddison and the Murphy twins could only benefit from having his experience around the place. And O''Neil has been one of the few to show real hunger and leadership this season. O''Neil and Howson at the heart of midfield would be central to a promotion push IMO.

We certainly need bigger and stronger players next season. We are pushed off the ball way to easily much of the time.Interesting to see how Leicester have built a team round that ideal.

Hard to argue with much of this. Sadly I agree Hoolahan''s time is up,however i think if Naismith is here next season(if we are down)then he could prove to be a bit of a hit in the championship. I still feel we are missing a Grant Holt style leader, Holty seemed to be able to get the rest of the squad up and running if heads were starting to drop and we still(in my opinion)haven''t found his replacement.

Agree with FTW, Hoolahan will most certainly be a contributor next season IMO and also don''t understand posters wanting to get rid. He offers something different and cannot be replaced. Personally predicting him to put in a number of game changing performances that reignite the fans fondness towards him (just like he seems to every year)..at the very least he will be a great option from the bench.

Wes will run rings around the championship, would be madness to get rid of him. Alternate him and Madison next season whilst the latter learns his trade. I think our midfield will be perfectly fine for the championship so wholesale changes would be stupid. Longer terms though we need more quality in there but I actually think that defence and the striker have been way more of an issue. We''ve been in virtually every game and had good possession in most. It''s been quality in the boxes and with the final ball that have been the issue.

Jim, get real.

If you think that Madison is going to make a contribution in a tough league then tell me why.

Have you seen him play, I haven’t.

But let’s consider a few facts:

He is 19, a kid

He is 5 foot 9 inches, a light-weight

He has been on loan at League One Coventry where he has featured in 20 matches, been on the pitch for the full 90 minutes only 5 times (3 goals, 3 assists and 1 booking), only played in 2 of the last 9 matches. Coventry finished in 8th place.

As a benchmark consider Dele Ali:

Age 19 another kid when he played for MK Dons in League One

6 foot 1 inch

Played in 39 league games for MK Dons in 2014/15, all but 5 were for the full 90 mins (16 goals, 9 assists and 7 bookings). MK Dons promoted in 2nd place.

At the moment Tottenham and Norwich are both Premier League sides and looking for the same talent.

I think I can see why Spurs signed Ali, I have no idea why we signed Madison.

Agree with a lot of what the OP says, but slightly perplexed why you would criticise Mbokani for not getting booked?!

There are plenty of successful strikers out there with similar disciplinary records!

Reasons for criticising Mbokani’s lack of bookings

1. If you don’t tackle and harass an opponent you don’t get booked, if you get stuck it you are going to get booked occasionally.

2. If you don’t physically compete for the ball and it’s you not the defender that finishes up on the grass you don’t get booked,

3. When you are young, enthusiastic and committed you get booked, when you get old, slower and start to look after yourself you don’t get booked.

As I see it the stats prove it.

Career appearances up the start of this season: 264, bookings: 63

Career appearances this season: 28, bookings: none.

Oh I see Curious, you want Lafferty on the pitch. Sadly he''s on loan at Birmingham-unless this expired at the weekend?

[quote user="Curious Canary"]Jim, get real.

If you think that Madison is going to make a contribution in a tough league then tell me why.

Have you seen him play, I haven’t.

But let’s consider a few facts:

He is 19, a kid

He is 5 foot 9 inches, a light-weight

He has been on loan at League One Coventry where he has featured in 20 matches, been on the pitch for the full 90 minutes only 5 times (3 goals, 3 assists and 1 booking), only played in 2 of the last 9 matches. Coventry finished in 8th place.

As a benchmark consider Dele Ali:

Age 19 another kid when he played for MK Dons in League One

6 foot 1 inch

Played in 39 league games for MK Dons in 2014/15, all but 5 were for the full 90 mins (16 goals, 9 assists and 7 bookings). MK Dons promoted in 2nd place.

At the moment Tottenham and Norwich are both Premier League sides and looking for the same talent.

I think I can see why Spurs signed Ali, I have no idea why we signed Madison.[/quote]

Spurs and Liverpool were in for Madison. If at 19 he''s not old enough to be playing in the champ then we should not be buying him. He''s certainly not going to improve playing in our U21s. His style of play is very similar to Wes and in my view next season in the championship will be the perfect opportunity for him to get game time as cover for Wes and hopefully he will eventually take his places over time. Hopefully Josh Murphy can also get some game time on the wing.