Sign in to follow this  
morty

McNally resigned.

No chance of that now Morty. The time for a change was at the end of last season. Delia could have quit at the top leaving them wanting more. Sadly I fear we are in for another long and bitter saga that will split club and supporters down the middle.

I hope I''m wrong but I see all the same signs that heralded previous downturns. As the saying goes history repeats itself first as tragedy, then as farce.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"]Well somebody ( Jim Smith) made the point that investors don''t want well run clubs who are in a good financial position anyway. They want a club that looks like it needs investment.

[/quote]

Kind of Morty. To be clear, what I meant was well run clubs would be attractive to "investors" if they can get their money in on the right terms. I was referring to the fact that most clubs get bought/sold when at a low ebb because that''s when they are available on the cheap. So the fact that we are well run perhaps acts against us in terms of someone wanting to buy Delia out because they won''t get Norwich City on the cheap.

Whether the same is the case for someone wanting to invest in the club and come in alongside Delia is a different matters but still I presume they will have to buy any shares at the going rate so the higher our share price, the less appealing we may be except to the super rich.[/quote]I would term relegation as a fairly low ebb....[/quote]

Yes although its not quite admin/threat of liquidation!

Should at least knock a significant chunk off the value of the club though with the reduction in income.

[quote user="ricardo"]No chance of that now Morty. The time for a change was at the end of last season. Delia could have quit at the top leaving them wanting more. Sadly I fear we are in for another long and bitter saga that will split club and supporters down the middle. I hope I''m wrong but I see all the same signs that heralded previous downturns. As the saying goes history repeats itself first as tragedy, then as farce.[/quote]

In these situations advise from Karl Marx always seems apt.

[quote user="ricardo"]No chance of that now Morty. The time for a change was at the end of last season. Delia could have quit at the top leaving them wanting more. Sadly I fear we are in for another long and bitter saga that will split club and supporters down the middle.

I hope I''m wrong but I see all the same signs that heralded previous downturns. As the saying goes history repeats itself first as tragedy, then as farce.[/quote]Who knows Ricardo? Maybe its all part of a plan?Put young Tom in some kind of role, to ensure the Smith lineage, get rid of the prickly CEO, who some maybe see as holding us back in some areas?Maybe its all an absolutely genius plan.[;)]

Accept that McNally has to take some responsibility for the likely relegation and his twitter on Saturday night was stupid (why people in public positions have twitter accounts is beyond me - they are generally a disaster waiting to happen !).

The main problems at this club however lie further up the tree and people need to realise that with Delia and Michael in charge we will NEVER be an established premier league club - the reality is they sadly don''t have enough money to support what needs to be a multi multi million pound business. This in its own right isn''t a critacism of them however where serious questions do need to raised is why do they be appear to be so adverse to seeking the significant financial investment that would be needed to establish the club in the Premier League. In fact they reinforce their desire to keep Norwich a lovely little friendly club by the appointment of their Nephew and Ed Balls to the board instead of the hard nosed businessmen/women needed to drive success.

McNally has in my view has done an excellent job and people are misplacing their anger at the wrong people - yes things could have been done better - but in both forays in the Premier League over recent years he has had to operate with his hands tied behind his back. Yes he has been well paid - but in a league that is dominated by money he isn''t a miracle worker.

People roll out the disaster stories of Bolton, Portsmouth, QPR, Aston Villa where the ''wrong'' sort of investment has caused major issues - but for every one of these you could probably name 4 other sides where ''good'' investment has created the platform needed for these clubs to flourish and establish themselves in the Premier.

Yes you can aim criticism at McNally, Alex Neil and the team but ultimately the position of the club will be dicated by the amount of money thrown at it and therefore that buck has to stop at the top.

Personally I have a certain about of sympathy with way Delia and Michael want to run the club - however from my perspective this also does come with a realisation that we will never be an established Premier League club. So although I am disappointed and frustrated at our impending relegation I am not overly surprised either - we are as a club where we deserve to be and until things change at the top then that is where we will remain.

Three egregious decision-making errors from the board in the space of three seasons: inaction over Hughton; Adams; last August''s transfer-window fiasco. It is easy to understand McN''s decision. The portents looks bleak indeed. Only under new ownership can we establish ourselves in the PL. Dark days indeed.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Three egregious decision-making errors from the board in the space of three seasons: inaction over Hughton; Adams; last August''s transfer-window fiasco. It is easy to understand McN''s decision. The portents looks bleak indeed. Only under new ownership can we establish ourselves in the PL. Dark days indeed.[/quote]Priceless, even by your standards, Highland. So McNally, who runs the football side of the business, was totally blameless over the gaps in our summer spending?! Yeah, right, as I gather young people say.

Purple, I''m of the view that it was last August''s failure that was the most significant factor in our relegation. We started the season with a championship attack and defence. We''ve finished the season in the championship. McN, as CEO, was responsible for getting targets over the line. He failed and has paid the price.

I haven''t time to read this thread as yet I fear for the club now. Something must have gone very wrong in the boardroom for McNally to announce his resignation on Twitter. Worrying times for the club

McNally has done great things with the club and who knows where we may have been without him.

Lets hope the new person who comes in is good and we dont end up getting another Neil Doncaster and going backwards

Sadly in the mercenary world of football you can only get those targets over the line if you are prepared to pay the stupid wages these players demand and we didn''t. This would more than likely be due to a judgement call from McNally (therefore his responsibility) and the need to work withing the financial constraints of the club (Delia, Michael, the overall financing of the club responsibility.

I agree last summer transfer window was ultimately our downfall but if you arent prepared or can''t pay the players the wages they demand you can''t get them...

[quote user="The Judge"]Sadly in the mercenary world of football you can only get those targets over the line if you are prepared to pay the stupid wages these players demand and we didn''t. This would more than likely be due to a judgement call from McNally (therefore his responsibility) and the need to work withing the financial constraints of the club (Delia, Michael, the overall financing of the club responsibility.

I agree last summer transfer window was ultimately our downfall but if you arent prepared or can''t pay the players the wages they demand you can''t get them...[/quote]Agree. Yet a lot of people still struggle to understand it.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Purple, I''m of the view that it was last August''s failure that was the most significant factor in our relegation. We started the season with a championship attack and defence. We''ve finished the season in the championship. McN, as CEO, was responsible for getting targets over the line. He failed and has paid the price.[/quote]I know that is your opinion, and (unusually) I agree with it, at least to a significant extent. But your previous post, by attributing this (and other footballing decisions) on the board as a whole made it look as if McNally, who runs the footballing side of the business, was somehow blameless and just carrying the can. I am glad to see you acknowledge he has resigned because of his mistakes.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="The Judge"]Sadly in the mercenary world of football you can only get those targets over the line if you are prepared to pay the stupid wages these players demand and we didn''t. This would more than likely be due to a judgement call from McNally (therefore his responsibility) and the need to work withing the financial constraints of the club (Delia, Michael, the overall financing of the club responsibility.

I agree last summer transfer window was ultimately our downfall but if you arent prepared or can''t pay the players the wages they demand you can''t get them...[/quote]Agree. Yet a lot of people still struggle to understand it.[/quote]

Doesn''t help if you alienate all the agents though does it?

[quote user="Year of the tiger"][quote user="morty"][quote user="The Judge"]Sadly in the mercenary world of football you can only get those targets over the line if you are prepared to pay the stupid wages these players demand and we didn''t. This would more than likely be due to a judgement call from McNally (therefore his responsibility) and the need to work withing the financial constraints of the club (Delia, Michael, the overall financing of the club responsibility.

I agree last summer transfer window was ultimately our downfall but if you arent prepared or can''t pay the players the wages they demand you can''t get them...[/quote]Agree. Yet a lot of people still struggle to understand it.[/quote]

Doesn''t help if you alienate all the agents though does it?[/quote]Well of course you''re going to alienate them, if you won''t give them the money they are after, that we don''t have enough of in the first place.And the alienation thing is only really rumour and speculation.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Purple, I''m of the view that it was last August''s failure that was the most significant factor in our relegation. We started the season with a championship attack and defence. We''ve finished the season in the championship. McN, as CEO, was responsible for getting targets over the line. He failed and has paid the price.[/quote]

It is ultimately that failure which I think is inexcusable. Our own manager came out and said words to the effect that when he joined in the summer there was no recruitment/scouting team in place. Such a team was required regardless of what league we were in. Through his "football board" and his role as CEO that was McNally''s responsibility. You cannot, as a million pounds + a year, CEO allow a situation to arise where basic club structures/infrastructure are substandard or even non existant to the extent that it hampers team performance on the pitch.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Year of the tiger"][quote user="morty"][quote user="The Judge"]Sadly in the mercenary world of football you can only get those targets over the line if you are prepared to pay the stupid wages these players demand and we didn''t. This would more than likely be due to a judgement call from McNally (therefore his responsibility) and the need to work withing the financial constraints of the club (Delia, Michael, the overall financing of the club responsibility.

Doesn''t help if you alienate all the agents though does it?[/quote]Well of course you''re going to alienate them, if you won''t give them the money they are after, that we don''t have enough of in the first place.And the alienation thing is only really rumour and speculation.[/quote]

It is indeed Morty but its rumour and speculation that has come from a few different sources and might explain, for example, how when one of our main summer targets moved elsewhere in January we were strangely not in the picture at all.

Without Bowkett & Mcnally this club is adrift without a rudder. Don''t be too shocked if AN throws the towel in next weekend because i fully expect him to, i wouldn''''t want him to go but think he probably will.

Moriarty wrote;

“From what i understand, McNally was a thoroughly unlikeable bloke - and i know agents who have said that we have missed out on targets as they simply refuse to deal with him. I gather Ricky Martin is of similar ilk, so if we can move him on too i think the club will be in a much stronger position long term.”

And there you have it.

Whilst I accept in his first couple of years things went reasonably well, I am uncertain whether this was more luck than judgement, but then I guess you make your own luck. However, over the last 3 or 4 years I believe things have deteriorated. I believe we saw an individual who may have been having an issue with drink, or certainly holding his drink and being in sufficient control of his behaviour thereafter, which may be what landed him in the position he finds himself in now. I suspect the Saturday night debacle was not the first time this manifested itself, some occasions this may have become public, other times it may not have.

Then we have the Alan Bowkett resignation, probably all brought about because he finally got fed up dealing with the behaviour of our former CEO and it was probably Mr Bowkett who managed the finances and brought them under control more than McNally.

We probably now find ourselves in a position of having a lack of serious leadership, a situation that I suspect may have been used against the board since Saturday night, however we appear to have had the Balls to not be blackmailed. Why is there a lack of leadership, why is there not succession planning, well a control freak would manipulate a situation to ensure there wasn’t. wouldn’t he?

Referring back to Moriarty’s point of, agents not dealing with us, I suspect this is the case, in fact as I have ‘mused’ previously, I suspect it doesn’t stop at agents, I would suggest those who refuse to deal with us include, players and other clubs’ CEO’s..

Now I shall turn to the thorny topic of referees’ decisions, another previous ‘musing’, if a CEO full of vitriol was to publicly, aggressively and vehemently turn on a Referees’ Assessor for a period of lets’ say a couple of minutes, for no discernable reason, then how on earth would that enhance our image. The Assessor in question would be duty bound, I would imagine, to report such behaviour back to the Referees’ Association. The incident would then no doubt become common knowledge amongst referees who, whilst they shouldn’t let this information influence on-field decisions, will no doubt find it very difficult to ignore the fact that one of their own has treated in such a manner, they are human after all!

Now should any of my recent musings have any ring of truth about them, along with many other musings I haven’t captured on this forum, then that would fester a toxic situation surely, so if that were the case, then I for one would be very glad to see the back of any individual exhibiting such behaviour, as I’m sure would many other people within the club, and these could include playing staff, through to board members.

Here endeth my musings (for now anyway).

[quote user="Inch High aka Inchy.."]Without Bowkett & Mcnally this club is adrift without a rudder. Don''t be too shocked if AN throws the towel in next weekend because i fully expect him to, i wouldn''''t want him to go but think he probably will.[/quote]

Not the end of the world if he does. Not saying I want him to go but i''m pretty indifferent to whether he stays as our manager after his performance this season. I suppose given the other departures the timing would not be great though as we would be starting again at every level.

That''s a little harsh on McNally, he only runs the business to the boards model, their financial limits and the transfers are not his targets, so the entire board and management team are just as much to blame and should all follow his lead in your scenario Purple.

People talk about scapegoat well the board have used this to move the blame.

If he alienated Agents - good on him ! As Morty says it will only because he was trying to work within the constraints that the club set him and not pay them what they wanted....especially if what they wanted was far to much as is highly likely.

The board will have set an overall salary budget (dicated by the income of the business and the amount of money the owners are prepared to invest/subsidize). If one new player was demanding a significant proportion of this (which would mean other existing players that will have negotiated through their agents that their salary must be within a certain % of the top earner - there salaries increased aswell) you have to make a call and based on the fact that we probably need 3/4 new players to compete - that were all asking the same thing - then what can you do ?

This is what the Premiership has done to football - its a joke - all this new money next year will make absolutely no difference to the clubs themselves - it will just mean even higher transfer fees, even higher wages and even higher agent fees - all which are at stupid levels already

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Year of the tiger"][quote user="morty"][quote user="The Judge"]Sadly in the mercenary world of football you can only get those targets over the line if you are prepared to pay the stupid wages these players demand and we didn''t. This would more than likely be due to a judgement call from McNally (therefore his responsibility) and the need to work withing the financial constraints of the club (Delia, Michael, the overall financing of the club responsibility.

Doesn''t help if you alienate all the agents though does it?[/quote]Well of course you''re going to alienate them, if you won''t give them the money they are after, that we don''t have enough of in the first place.And the alienation thing is only really rumour and speculation.[/quote]

It is indeed Morty but its rumour and speculation that has come from a few different sources and might explain, for example, how when one of our main summer targets moved elsewhere in January we were strangely not in the picture at all.[/quote]"Agent" Yeah we want 65 pence for this player""Mcnally" But I only have 50 pence to spend""Agent " Deals off"I reckon thats pretty much how it went. Its always about money, and what you have to spend. Not McNally''s fault.

You have to say that overall he did a fantastic job and I''m slightly worried now he''s gone.However, he is not immune from criticism, and this season has been shambolic in terms of the lack of investment in August, the quality of the signings we did make and the total inexperience of our management team not being addressed.However, I would feel more comfortable about getting promotion with him at the helm in August as I think he''d get it right.

he didnt get on with agents made a name for being hard to deal with

thats why he was over / away from dealing with the transfers and ricky martin took more control of that side

i had to deal with mcnally 3 years ago when i was selling something to the club

all i will say is i ended up selling to someone else due to lack of communication / and the way they dealt with the matter and i vowed i would never deal with the club again

he did a lot of really good things for Norwich city and we are in a better place now than when he came in that is for sure

but what people like him have to realise is other people can play the hard game just as well as him and sometimes hard line business can cause clashing of charging bulls heads which can lead to stalemate

so yes he did a lot for Norwich city but he made a name for himself which sometimes did not always help the club or himself in dealing with people

Ray, every time you post one of your "musings", I want to reply with "or maybe not". In fact "probably not". You say "should any of my recent musings have any ring of truth about them" but why should they? You appear to live in a fantasy world.

Would rather have a hard nosed businessman than a softar$e like Doomcaster any day.

Interesting point just made elsewhere, yesterday was full of abuse towards McNally, today nothing but regret he has gone.Be careful what you wish for, fickle folks...