Sign in to follow this  
morty

McNally resigned.

Genuine questions rather than statements:

Apart from the signing of Lambert, what influence has McNally had over the relative success of the last 6 or 7 seasons?

Was much of the basis for the relative success signing a striker in Grant Holt who hit the form of his life for 3 seasons thereby providing the funds for where we are now?

Is McNally responsible for not signing those players in August we were chasing or did he have no chance of bringing them here?

And here''s the next question, if McNally jumped because he can see a tough few years, why is that, why are we heading for a tough few years when the likes of Southampton, Watford, Bournemouth and others like Swansea moving away into sound footing and let''s not mention Leicester. Time for new owners with investment which hasn''t come thanks to our boards strict criteria which might end up costing us long term.

I know most football fans have a short memory, but McNally has been fantastic for this club.
Cast your minds back to Colchester at home, first League One game of the season.
Then remember winning the league.
Then THAT goal against Portsmouth.
etc etc.
How much of it you attribute to McNally is almost irrelevant - he was a part of it. And being CEO, a significant part.
I''m almost more gutted about this than I am our probable relegation. I''d feel much more comfortable at the thought of getting out of the Championship with a CEO who''s already overseen us do it twice!
Also Morty, i''d be surprised if they''d be willing to cause so much anger by appointing Tom, hopefully they have someone experienced to come on board. McNally was one of the higher paid CEO''s so the same pay packet must entice some pretty good candidates.

Yvette Cooper reportedly to take over.Ed Balls/Yvette Cooper dream ticket.

You can see what Delia is doing here it''s very very clever

Bowchump and McNasty have gone. Neil will be sacked next and the Messiah will return to get us back to the Premier league

It is brilliant pure brilliant

[quote user="Vanwink"]Hopefully the bonus money saved will be wisely invested.[/quote]I was wondering about this. Maybe he has negotiated a severance package that will include any bonuses from this season and one of the reasons he has departed is to ensure he gets his bonus, whilst it not becoming public knowledge that he has once again been handsomely rewarded for relegation? Just a thought any way.

[quote user="Norfolkn Good"]Genuine questions rather than statements:

Apart from the signing of Lambert, what influence has McNally had over the relative success of the last 6 or 7 seasons?

Was much of the basis for the relative success signing a striker in Grant Holt who hit the form of his life for 3 seasons thereby providing the funds for where we are now?

Is McNally responsible for not signing those players in August we were chasing or did he have no chance of bringing them here?[/quote]The club is in a far, far better business state than when he arrived. We were hemorrhaging money due to the colossal inefficiency of the business side.Of course Mcnally made mistakes, but were they all his? He has to operate in the transfer market with one hand tied behind his back, due to lack of finances. He was always in a terrible bargaining position before he even picked up the phone to an agent.

I think its fair to say that McNally has been a big part of the success of recent years. To say otherwise would be churlish. He came in and quickly identified Gunn was not up to it. He brought in Lambert. It was those two decisions which more than anything have led to most the success we have had. He and Bowkett together were seen as sufficiently competent for the banks to give us some breathing space. I also felt that in the Lambert days and early in the Hughton regime we were quick and efficient in the transfer market, got the business done that we needed and ensured our managers had a balanced squad.

I think for the last three years its been different. Whether part of that has been the grappling with moving to the "next level" and the complexities that brings in terms of transfers and recruitment I don''t know but in general I think the clarity of thought, decision making and the strategy has not been what it was. This could be down to many factors but perhaps some on the board have felt the same and the CEO (whether under the influence or not) tweeting his resignation in a spat with a fan on twitter on a Saturday night was the final straw. I think there is no smoke without fire and there have been plenty of accounts of things not being quite right behind the scenes at the club for a little while now so perhaps this weekend''s events are the natural culmination of events and the sign that a change was needed.

No manager or player is bigger than the club let alone a CEO so again perhaps the fact that there is as much debate over this as there would be over a change of manager tells you that a situation had arisen at the club that is not that healthy in that one individual had too much influence over too many matters.

If only Delia and her whole family would fuck off too then maybe this club could move forwards for once .

On balance McNally has been a plus for Norwich City. There were some bad errors of judgment (the mishandling of the Colchester compensation case, shopping a teenage nerd to the police, and the predictably fruitless ban on Look East) which were the downside of what seems to have been his main virtue - a single-minded dynamism. You probably couldn''t have one without the other.It is a very demanding job, and probably time for a change, for both parties. I don''t take seriously the idea that Delia''s nephew will be his successor. If he is being groomed for anything it is a non-executive job, as guardian of the Smith and Jones legacy.

So well done to all the spoiled dummy chuckers.

They obviously prefer the days when we had no money for transfers, Ipswich hammered us regularly and we were on a rapid descent to the non league.

2 brilliantly bold decisions changed things round, bought back the good times and with more luck should have kept us at the top. All the time the club has been investing in the future.

Since when has people leaving ever bought success?

Major disaster for the club, shame that people who call themselves supporters should have anything to do with it.

Good post Jim.

As has been mentioned earlier I think one comment about this stands out the most to me. ''The Board have ''unanimously'' accepted his resignation.'' Why not just simply the board have accepted his resignation?

Heres a theory I am going to run up the flagpole, and see if anyone salutes it.Prospective new owners in a takeover bid, but found McNally difficult to deal with......

All this angst about him resigning. Who''s to say we won''t get an expert CEO to replace him and become an established Prem team? A bit like getting a new manager. Perhaps we should just hold fire with the anger and see what transpires.

Anyway, OTBC!

The season has been a failure and somebody has to take the fall for it. It was always going to be either McNally or Alex Neil.

I think McNally''s online behaviour at the weekend made the decision an easy one. If the CEO of any big company had acted in that manner then they would all face the chop. In a high profile position like McNally had - you simply cannot afford to get drunk on a Saturday night and take to Twitter like that.

I think it is the right decision.

Big question is who get''s the job now - I agree it would be an outrage if nephew Tom got the gig, but I don''t think Delia and Michael are that stupid. If we get in a good CEO with a proven track record then I think the club will be better for it.

From what i understand, McNally was a thoroughly unlikeable bloke - and i know agents who have said that we have missed out on targets as they simply refuse to deal with him. I gather Ricky Martin is of similar ilk, so if we can move him on too i think the club will be in a much stronger position long term.

👍👍 Morty! That thought crossed my mind to. I wouldn''t say any prospective investors found him to difficult, more in the line of any outside investors would want their own man in place. I thought that when Bowkett resigned that was going to be the reason.

McNally''s resignation is currently the ''most read'' news item on the BBC website.  Along with a story about yoghurt.

Jim M wrote,

From what i understand, McNally was a thoroughly unlikeable bloke - and i know agents who have said that we have missed out on targets as they simply refuse to deal with him. I gather Ricky Martin is of similar ilk, so if we can move him on too i think the club will be in a much stronger position long term.

You only have to look at the number of backroom staff including the non playing senior staff that have left during his tenure and you certainly get the sense that he was extremely difficult to work for.

Well somebody ( Jim Smith) made the point that investors don''t want well run clubs who are in a good financial position anyway. They want a club that looks like it needs investment.

Absolutely, apart from when we were in League one now is probably the best time to get a return on investment, with the caveat, that the investment is spent wisely.

I''m pretty confident we can attract someone decent. Just need a proper football person.

If there was an investor surely the inner sanctum and "I kneew a bluuke at the cluub" brigade would have heard something

I have a lot of respect for David McNally, there''s no doubt he sorted out our finances and brought a lot of success to our club. I do however feel this is probably the correct time for some new direction and like all organisations a CEO''s time in office will always run its course.

There''s little doubt that he drives a hard bargain and when things are going well people will buy into this mantra. I believe there are similarities to certain football managers, people like Big Sam Allardyce, who go into clubs and bully people into playing for them and there''s some short term reward. Long term however it doesn''t work and they move on to do the same thing somewhere else. You could say it was similar for Glenn Roeder when he was first appointed at Norwich, he made no friends but got things done, but long term it never ends well and I believe that''s where we are now with David McNally.

I certainly wish him well, whether he turns around the fortunes for another club or decides his days in football are over, but as a club we must move forward and appoint the right man (or woman) for the next chapter of rebuilding and looking for a top 6 finish in the Championship next season.

[quote user="Jim Moriarty"]The season has been a failure and somebody has to take the fall for it. It was always going to be either McNally or Alex Neil.

I think McNally''s online behaviour at the weekend made the decision an easy one. If the CEO of any big company had acted in that manner then they would all face the chop. In a high profile position like McNally had - you simply cannot afford to get drunk on a Saturday night and take to Twitter like that.

I think it is the right decision.

Big question is who get''s the job now - I agree it would be an outrage if nephew Tom got the gig, but I don''t think Delia and Michael are that stupid. If we get in a good CEO with a proven track record then I think the club will be better for it.

From what i understand, McNally was a thoroughly unlikeable bloke - and i know agents who have said that we have missed out on targets as they simply refuse to deal with him. I gather Ricky Martin is of similar ilk, so if we can move him on too i think the club will be in a much stronger position long term.[/quote]Careful Jim, I posted something like this a few months ago and it immediately disappeared into the ether. It was then followed by the pink''un mafia claiming it was all a fabrication on my part.

[quote user="morty"]Well somebody ( Jim Smith) made the point that investors don''t want well run clubs who are in a good financial position anyway. They want a club that looks like it needs investment.

[/quote]

Kind of Morty. To be clear, what I meant was well run clubs would be attractive to "investors" if they can get their money in on the right terms. I was referring to the fact that most clubs get bought/sold when at a low ebb because that''s when they are available on the cheap. So the fact that we are well run perhaps acts against us in terms of someone wanting to buy Delia out because they won''t get Norwich City on the cheap.

Whether the same is the case for someone wanting to invest in the club and come in alongside Delia is a different matters but still I presume they will have to buy any shares at the going rate so the higher our share price, the less appealing we may be except to the super rich.

Gutted.

We have been nothing but a success since he joined us. The odds would always be on us going down at some point due to the size of our club.

The only way this won''t be a disaster is if we get another proven performer in, with knowledge and the appetite.

Not 100% convinced we will. But I was proven wrong when McNally joined us, and I live in hope again.

Still gutted.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"]Well somebody ( Jim Smith) made the point that investors don''t want well run clubs who are in a good financial position anyway. They want a club that looks like it needs investment.

[/quote]

Kind of Morty. To be clear, what I meant was well run clubs would be attractive to "investors" if they can get their money in on the right terms. I was referring to the fact that most clubs get bought/sold when at a low ebb because that''s when they are available on the cheap. So the fact that we are well run perhaps acts against us in terms of someone wanting to buy Delia out because they won''t get Norwich City on the cheap.

Whether the same is the case for someone wanting to invest in the club and come in alongside Delia is a different matters but still I presume they will have to buy any shares at the going rate so the higher our share price, the less appealing we may be except to the super rich.[/quote]I would term relegation as a fairly low ebb....