Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

ALEX NEIL - Quotes Today

I am disappointed that he has left the club,” said Neil, speaking at his pre-match press call prior to the crucial home game against Watford on Wednesday night. “I had a really good relationship with David. He showed nothing but trust and faith in my, along with Michael and Delia he brought me to the club, so surprised, disappointed and I think we have lost a really important figure for us. Whatever happened over the weekend had nothing to do with me.

“After the game like everybody else when you lose an important match he was really upset. The one thing we did do was talking in general terms about the match and the games to come so in that respect it wasn’t out of the ordinary. I am not going to get into the nuts and bolts of what I said to him or vice versa. It came out of the blue a little bit. It wasn’t anything we planned or hoped for.”

Chairman Ed Balls has already made it clear Neil remains an essential part of the way ahead for City’s top brass but the Scot’s immediate focus is on keeping alive Norwich’s faint survival hopes.

“I am the manager of Norwich City. David has made his decision and that was not my doing. As far as I am concerned my only focus is a game on Wednesday and one at the weekend and both are crucially important to this club,” he said. “I will look at my contribution at the end of the season, I will look at my team individually and their contribution and the bigger picture in terms of the club and what we have achieved on and off the pitch. Obviously recruitment is a big part of that, but there are other things that needed to be analysed.

“I will speak to the powers that be but in football nothing is off the table. I will judge how I performed and how others performed at the end of the season and I am sure people will be judging me. I don’t fear for my job. In my position I don’t think managers can afford to be fearful, you have to be focused because if you are scared then it undermines your position and players and fans will get that sense from you. You can’t show weakness. This is the club where I have been given an opportunity and unfortunately we are not in the position we want to be but we need to crack on and see where it takes us.”

Pure honesty from Alex Neil which is nice to see. Obviously disappointed to lose him, and before people say "of course he''d say that", the quotes above suggest more than just a courtesy comment. Not surprising since McNally was the one who took a chance on him in the first place, but it does maybe work against the claims that McNally was a massive twunt that nobody liked.

I think he''s also clearly disappointed by recruitment this season, and slightly in his own performance.

Onwards and upwards! (after probably going downwards, of course).

"Whatever happened over the weekend had nothing to do with me "

I may be over analysing this but why would anyone think it had anything to do with AN ?

The one thing we did do was talking in general terms about the match and the games to come so in that respect it wasn’t out of the ordinary. I am not going to get into the nuts and bolts of what I said to him or vice versa. It came out of the blue a little bit

Mmmm "a little bit" ? I don''t think so............................

I get the feeling that he could be up for the chop when a new CEO is appointed listening to his comments

Listening to him, I get the impression he may have had enough of Delia''s little clique and as soon as the season is over he''ll resign.

I expected Neill to resign if we went down well before McNally left and from that interview it has only compounded that view.

He doesn''t look happy and I think he has come to the same conclusion that many other Norwich managers had come to in that is the limitations that are imposed on the manager of NCFC aren''t worth staying for.

I fully expect the current board to keep him, though a new CEO may think differently. Either way, Neill is going and that will be sad.

An odd public remark to make, he probably sees himself as McNally''s man and must be wondering about his future under a new regime. Perhaps preparing his way out.

but Ed Balls has just said today the AN''s job is basically safe.

strange; why would AN waste this opportunity unless there is something really wrong be hid the scenes.

Not trying to add to the fire, but you do have to wonder.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]The fact that he says he''ll review his position at the end of the season is worrying.

Doesn''t bode well.[/quote]If he had said he would review his "position" it might be worrying. What he said - and it is there in black and white in a direct quote so it is hard to misread - was that he would assess his "contribution", which is an entirely different matter, and normal self-critical practice in any kind of management job if someone wants to try to improve their performance."I will look at my contribution at the end of the season, I will look at my team individually and their contribution and the bigger picture in terms of the club and what we have achieved on and off the pitch."And if there was any doubt that he is not reviewing his mposition in the sense of thinking of quitting the follow-up quote should have made it even plainer:"I will judge how I performed and how others performed at the end of the season and I am sure people will be judging me. I don’t fear for my job."

A minority of supporters had a wish to get somebody out of the club. They got their wish but now they will see how McNally kept this club way above where it should be.

A minority also had a wish for AN to go. Looks to me like you will get that wish to, however what you did not balance into this was our players. AN gone means Klose gone and any other of our players likely to get offers back into the Prem.

For those who wanted McNally out I fear you have just put our club into the same downward spiral we were in 5 years ago.

Saturday night I looked forward to promotion today I fear relegation !!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="mrs miggins"]The fact that he says he''ll review his position at the end of the season is worrying.

Doesn''t bode well.[/quote]If he had said he would review his "position" it might be worrying. What he said - and it is there in black and white in a direct quote so it is hard to misread - was that he would assess his "contribution", which is an entirely different matter, and normal self-critical practice in any kind of management job if someone wants to try to improve their performance."I will look at my contribution at the end of the season, I will look at my team individually and their contribution and the bigger picture in terms of the club and what we have achieved on and off the pitch."And if there was any doubt that he is not reviewing his mposition in the sense of thinking of quitting the follow-up quote should have made it even plainer:"I will judge how I performed and how others performed at the end of the season and I am sure people will be judging me. I don’t fear for my job."[/quote]Apologies. The penultimate paragraph got garbled. It should read:And if there was any doubt that he is not

reviewing his contribution in the sense of thinking of quitting the

follow-up quote should have made it even plainer:

The BBC have picked up on this reaction from Alex. Not been made me tion of elsewhere but he doesn''t seem very happy at the line of questioning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36259100

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]Off to Celtic with McNally.
Lambert back to Carrow Road.
Trust Katie.
I drink.  And I know things.
[/quote]I''m sick of the sight of Katie''s big racist face. I think in these troubled times it would be an excellent PR exercise to rebrand yourself as Borion Lannister (or Tyrion Lannibor). Just a thought.

RETURNING MANGERS TO CARROW RD AND IN MY SIXTY YEARS FOLLOWING NORWICH CITY THERE HAVE BEEN A FEW BUT NONE HAVE BEEN SUCCESSFUL .

Quote from Mr Balls

"""""""""""Balls revealed the board had met Neil on Monday to reassure the Scot it is business as usual ahead of Wednesday’s final home league game against Watford"""""""""

Coming from a failed MP who knows all about back stabbing think AN will be calling in Pickford''s any day now

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="mrs miggins"]The fact that he says he''ll review his position at the end of the season is worrying.

Doesn''t bode well.[/quote]If he had said he would review his "position" it might be worrying. What he said - and it is there in black and white in a direct quote so it is hard to misread - was that he would assess his "contribution", which is an entirely different matter, and normal self-critical practice in any kind of management job if someone wants to try to improve their performance."I will look at my contribution at the end of the season, I will look at my team individually and their contribution and the bigger picture in terms of the club and what we have achieved on and off the pitch."And if there was any doubt that he is not reviewing his mposition in the sense of thinking of quitting the follow-up quote should have made it even plainer:"I will judge how I performed and how others performed at the end of the season and I am sure people will be judging me. I don’t fear for my job."[/quote]
I think this is pretty much spot on. Again, it just comes down to honesty. Other managers may not bother mentioning the fact they will self-critique, so to speak.

And shows humility as he doesn''t presume his job is safe for next season.

[quote user="Ron Manager"]The BBC have picked up on this reaction from Alex. Not been made me tion of elsewhere but he doesn''t seem very happy at the line of questioning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36259100[/quote]
I hadn''t seen that.
I like Alex Neil.

[quote user="Mr Apples"]Odds down to 10/1 with Ladbrokes for AN to be the next Celtic manager...

Apples[/quote]If our board are stupid enough to get rid of Alex Neil, then we truly are heading for disaster.

Oh and can people stop being stupid enough by judging Ed Balls on what they thought of him as a politician please? Ta.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Mr Apples"]Odds down to 10/1 with Ladbrokes for AN to be the next Celtic manager...

Apples[/quote]If our board are stupid enough to get rid of Alex Neil, then we truly are heading for disaster.[/quote]On the other hand he might decide to leave of his own free will if he''s had a decent offer from Celtic.Lots of reasons why that could be an attractive option for him.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Mr Apples"]Odds down to 10/1 with Ladbrokes for AN to be the next Celtic manager...

Apples[/quote]If our board are stupid enough to get rid of Alex Neil, then we truly are heading for disaster.[/quote]On the other hand he might decide to leave of his own free will if he''s had a decent offer from Celtic.Lots of reasons why that could be an attractive option for him.[/quote]I think going to a job like that, so early in his career is unlikely. I don''t think he is the type to run home with his tail between his legs.After having managed at the very top level I think it more likely that he would want to have another crack at it.Assuming we''re relegated, of course.

There''s more to it than just running home though - Champions League, Rangers back in the SPL etcWho knows, with a bit of luck he might even take Whittaker, Martin, Dorrans & Naismith with him

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]"Whatever happened over the weekend had nothing to do with me "

I may be over analysing this but why would anyone think it had anything to do with AN ?[/quote]

I think he means that those decisions made are above his position in the club, i.e. that he''s outside of those discussions and not well equipped to talk in detail on them.

i.e. he''s not suggesting that it''s NOT related to something he had involvement in.

Wow, double negatives :)

From what we know about AN I can emphatically state they he will never quit of his own accord. He meant conduct a review of his own performance and see where he can improve.

He won''t be going anywhere because personally and I''m sure many fans feel the same that I would be absolutely livid if we sack him. The players wouldn''t be happy either I can promise you that and we need morale as high as possible going into next year.

His honesty is extremely refreshing. He says what he means, we don''t have to look for any hidden meaning or read between any lines. He''s here to stay hopefully!

Yeah, plus media prepared quotes are thrown out in instances like this, AN has to appease the board and the fans alike, so you can take everything at face value, certainly don''t go looking for the truths in media statements because a stray comma can change the dynamics of what someone has ''said''.

I like to think that he''s putting a question mark on things in order to get the board to commit to decent resources so we can build a squad prepared for the premiership, because we simply wasn''t prepared once again this season. There''s no reason you can''t prepare that squad despite relegation either, we need a genuine threat up front, and have done since losing Holt.

The players are out there, they cost money, so we''re either serious about this as a club, or we''re not. The politics of player wage structures go out of the window when you''re in lala land of the premier league, one expensive player could be the difference of the whole squad earning more or less depending on relegation/promotion, not to mention each of their careers.