Sign in to follow this  
Thecanaryfan

Anyone else think RVW should be given a proper opportunity next season?

I think in light of our recent struggles a lot of you are forgetting just how bad RVW and indeed us as a team under Hughton were.

He is a shockingly poor footballer in every aspect except maybe heading and movement/positional sense. Hooper, a decent championship poacher was a much, much better player and even he isn''t as good as Jerome.

We''ll try and buy more strikers this window and Jerome got nearly 20 last time while only playing 75% of the time and offering a lot to open play. There''s no room for RVW next year.

Anyone who thinks Ricky will come good and start banging them in for Norwich City has chosen Hollywood redemption fantasies over their own eyes, that of the managers, and Ricky''s record over the last three seasons.
If he scores five more goals for us, I will clap like a seal with sh*t in both my hands and then post the footage on YouTube.

Weak as water pushed off the ball with ease. No drive and not the sort of striker to give us anything better than the other ineffective front runners we have at present.

Well I think Ricky will feature next season. And I for one will be backing him to score goals.

Just because he was a pants in the Prem two seasons ago, doesn''t mean that he will automatically struggle in the Champ. The gulf in player ability between divisions is massive. And given the fact that all our strikers, Jerome most notably, have been awful this season, I don''t see why any of them should be higher up the pecking order, or seen as being any better than him.

And the claim he has the body of a 10 year old boy is the stupidest and most off the mark thing I have ever heard.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]Well I think Ricky will feature next season. And I for one will be backing him to score goals.

Just because he was a pants in the Prem two seasons ago, doesn''t mean that he will automatically struggle in the Champ. The gulf in player ability between divisions is massive. And given the fact that all our strikers, Jerome most notably, have been awful this season, I don''t see why any of them should be higher up the pecking order, or seen as being any better than him.

And the claim he has the body of a 10 year old boy is the stupidest and most off the mark thing I have ever heard.[/quote]
1) This season alone, Jerome, Mbokani, Redmond, Hoolahan, Howson, Brady and Martin have scored more Premier League goals than RvW. That''s just an example, and similarly applies to the season where RvW was at the club.
2) He will struggle in the champ because he''s struggling already, and has done for the past 2 seasons, in leagues which are of a similar standard for the most part.
3) Jerome has struggled this season but even so, has offered far more in this prem season than RvW did. That includes goals, assists, strength, hold up play, pace, defensive responsibilities, etc.
4) I should be higher up the pecking order than Ricky van fu*king Wolfswinkle.
5) You''re right, to claim he has the body of a 10 year old boy is stupid and off the mark. Even an 8 year old could f*ck Ricky up big time.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]Well I think Ricky will feature next season. And I for one will be backing him to score goals.

Just because he was a pants in the Prem two seasons ago, doesn''t mean that he will automatically struggle in the Champ. The gulf in player ability between divisions is massive. And given the fact that all our strikers, Jerome most notably, have been awful this season, I don''t see why any of them should be higher up the pecking order, or seen as being any better than him. thing I hav

And the claim he has the body of a 10 year old boy is the stupidest and most off the mark e ever heard
.[/quote]Try listening to some of the $hite you churn out!

Thecanaryfan has a point...we''ll need someone to fill Lafferty''s crucial warming-up spot in the squad...I think Ricky could be our man (and bring a touch of continental va-va-voom to the touch-line).

Apples

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]Anyone who thinks Ricky will come good and start banging them in for Norwich City has chosen Hollywood redemption fantasies over their own eyes, that of the managers, and Ricky''s record over the last three seasons.
If he scores five more goals for us, I will clap like a seal with sh*t in both my hands and then post the footage on YouTube.
[/quote]I''m sure there are certain fetish websites out there where you could get paid good money for this.Don''t give it away for free!

Jerome was not burdened by a massive transfer fee, has had more time to settle in and plays in a system where team mates pass to him.

The only striker who has done well for us in the prem has been Grant Holt and his career has had its ups and downs.

Yes, form can fluctuate and if someone is having a bad time it doesn''t mean he''s a rubbish player.

So as long as you ignore the cause and abuse the individual the problem will persist.

Which it has.

Haha, Morty, you come on here and inform everybody (based on what you have seen from your very own 5ft 4in eyes) that Van Wolfswinkel has the body of a pre-pubescent boy, and you believe I''m the one churning out $hit?

curious yellow -

Jerome was not burdened by a massive transfer fee, has had more time to settle in and plays in a system where team mates pass to him.

The only striker who has done well for us in the prem has been Grant Holt and his career has had its ups and downs.

Yes, form can fluctuate and if someone is having a bad time it doesn''t mean he''s a rubbish player.

So as long as you ignore the cause and abuse the individual the problem will persist.

Which it has.

Indeed curious, and couple this with the fact the Champ is a much easier league to score goals, I believe he might do ok. If he doesn''t early on he can move on. No harm in trying him.

Like Theoklitos this has to be one of the most bizarre signings of recent times.

So much anticipation.

So much money for us at the time.

Such a promising debut.

... such a horrific car crash ever since.

Too light. Too slow. Too wasteful. Lacking in resilience.

I would have LOVED Ricky to have flourished but it was honestly like he retired and sent over his twin brother once the plane landed from Lisbon.

He would be eaten a live on a soggy night in Burton!

[quote user="curious yellow"][quote user="Katie Borkins"][quote user="curious yellow"]Amazing achievement then, with all those physical incapabilities that he should score all those goals in Portugal and receive international recogniton.

Pity that Ray Houghton didn''t see these obvious failings that you analysed.[/quote]
Ray Hughton retired years ago, I was talking about Chris Houghton.
I''m not denying that I was excited, as I think most of us were, when we signed the £8.5m Dutch international striker.
It was quickly apparent he was not quick, strong or indeed tricksy enough for the Premier League.  I doubt he is any better suited to the Championship.
I would suggest the Portuguese league, with two exceptions, is lower Championship/League One standard.
If you have a different view, perhaps you could explain why he deserves another chance?
[/quote]

The player you described could not have achieved at any level what RVW did in Portugal.

He is a talented player who lost his confidence. If the club try to help him regain that confidence it could be good for us. So why not give him another chance?

If he was that feeble how did he produce the tackle that set up Snodgrass''s goal against Spurs or the knock back for Pilkington''s goal against Chelsea?

He hasn''t been selected for a decent run of games since he joined us when our manager was Chris Hughton.[/quote]Barring 2 teams the Portuguese league is about league 1 standard.

[quote user="curious yellow"]Jerome was not burdened by a massive transfer fee, has had more time to settle in and plays in a system where team mates pass to him.

Which it has.[/quote]but if a player has been bad for 3 years and 5 different managers haven''t improved him then when do you start to look at the player himself?Ability? mental attitude? just not capable to perform?only RVW can answer those.