Sign in to follow this  
Thecanaryfan

Anyone else think RVW should be given a proper opportunity next season?

[quote user="Essjayess"]Absolutely, at least 10-12 matches at start of the season. Bamford is a similar build, hardly built like a tank, yet at Boro last season, he had a great time. Give Ricky a proper oppurtunity as the OP asks, i think he will score goals.But that wont happen, Alex seemed to not want him ar season start so, some club somewhere will have a punt on him. Plus most fans gave up on him seasons ago, as the comments here show.[/quote]I have never met Bamford, but having stood next to Ricky at Norwich (international) airport, it really isn''t an exaggeration to say he has the build of a ten year old boy.

I think we should give him an opportunity to prove himself next year

Those hotdogs aren''t going to make themselves

[quote user="Buh"]I think we should give him an opportunity to prove himself next year

Those hotdogs aren''t going to make themselves[/quote]
[:D]
He''s a footballer too, so should have no problem making sure he gets the hotdog in the bun, even if the bun isn''t quite sure if it wants the hotdog.

Whilst I don''t feel like he should be shoved in as first choice, there''s no harm having him play in pre-season for us and seeing where that goes.

He''s still our asset (yes his wages are a liability but he''s only got a year left right?) and whilst that''s the case, we might as well see if we can get anything out of him.

I''d imagine his wages with the decrease upon relegation will be around £30k a week so over a season that''s £1.5m with maybe £0.5m loyalty fee due to him for completing his contract and i''d put his transfer value at around £3m (honestly think he''d do a job as second choice in a mid table league like the French or Dutch league) so if we could get £1m or so and be able to free up his wages i''d imagine the board would happily sell him if an offer comes in and i wouldn''t be too sad to see him go.

There will be a country where the game suits his subtle type but it''s seemingly not English football. Was in hindsight a very poorly scouted and thought through purchase when a more direct and physical but less technical striker would have been far better suited.

Our summer now becomes about finding the next Andre Gray. Perhaps Carlton Morris will explode onto the scene and Jerome will find his championship scoring boots again! It''d be nice to see 2 up top used more often again.

Poor old Ricky could be 1 on 1 with a hotdog bun and end up throwing his sausage across the kitchen.

Tetteys Jig, I think Ricky does not have a relegation clause in his contract, hence why we, amongst other things have continually loaned him out.

[quote user="Molly Windley"]Not for me, get him off the books if at all possible, lick our financial wounds and move on.

[/quote]

And let''s keep Russel Martin who has cost us shitloads of money £150m with his cocktail ups and poor games this season

[quote user="pliff"][quote user="Molly Windley"]Not for me, get him off the books if at all possible, lick our financial wounds and move on.

[/quote]

And let''s keep Russel Martin who has cost us shitloads of money £150m with his cocktail ups and poor games this season[/quote]
Have you ever thought about not being retarded?

Yes lets get shot of Russell Martin , Jerome and the rest of the crap before worrying about Wolfswinkle .

RvW is like an old ginger nut biscuit. You keep coming across it at the bottom of the barrel, you think about eating it, then you open a packet of anything else, tip ''em on top and have one of them instead.

If he plays for us again, we are literally scraping the bottom of the barrel.

RVW is an enigma. I''ve never quite seen anything like it from a footballer.

Through circumstance and the passage of time we managed to either expose the fact he cannot play football or categorically destroyed any skill he did have.

In decades from now we''ll wonder how it all happened

Definitely should be given another go.

Considering that nobody since (including Kane) has done any better for us in this division. Scored pre-season and in his only first team game, has scored in Spain.

Also it''s not worth getting rid of players yet who have been good in the championship.

The Championship is more physical and robust than the Premier League and Ricky, bless him, could be felled by a falling leaf.  Neither does he have the pace to burn past defenders.  Neither does he have the touch or poise to play as a withdrawn striker who creates for others.
We may as well have signed Leroy Lita on a free, and then used the £8.5m as compensation to fans who bought tickets during the Houghton era.

Amazing achievement then, with all those physical incapabilities that he should score all those goals in Portugal and receive international recogniton.

Pity that Ray Houghton didn''t see these obvious failings that you analysed.

[quote user="curious yellow"]Definitely should be given another go.

Considering that nobody since (including Kane) has done any better for us in this division. Scored pre-season and in his only first team game, has scored in Spain.

Also it''s not worth getting rid of players yet who have been good in the championship.[/quote]

Nobody since?

Just this season the following players have scored more goals than Ricky did in his one season....

Redmond

Mbokani

Martin

Jerome

Howson

Brady

Tettey

[quote user="curious yellow"]Amazing achievement then, with all those physical incapabilities that he should score all those goals in Portugal and receive international recogniton.

Pity that Ray Houghton didn''t see these obvious failings that you analysed.[/quote]
Ray Hughton retired years ago, I was talking about Chris Houghton.
I''m not denying that I was excited, as I think most of us were, when we signed the £8.5m Dutch international striker.
It was quickly apparent he was not quick, strong or indeed tricksy enough for the Premier League.  I doubt he is any better suited to the Championship.
I would suggest the Portuguese league, with two exceptions, is lower Championship/League One standard.
If you have a different view, perhaps you could explain why he deserves another chance?

Well bor, he did say he should get another chance because no one else has done better.

I mean he''s overlooking the fact Russel Martin has more premier league goals to his name but hey.

Plus if RVW deserves a chance, i DEFINITELY deserve one.

Ive not even had a chance to show how much of a useless, weak, pathetic excuse for a footballer i am.

Morty, I have also met Ricky on a number of occasions and whilst I am by no means a human tank (5''11 and 75kg) I would like to think that, as a regular gym goer, I do not have the physique of a 10 year old boy.

Ricky is both taller and bulkier than me, so does that mean I look like an 7/8 year old boy? Or perhaps Ricky is just more athletically built than your good self?

Failed in the PL with Norwich City under Houghton & Adams
Loaned to France Ligue 1 side St Etienne - 28 appearances, 5 goals - not purchased
Returned to Norwich City under Alex Neil. Scored a goal against Rotherham in the cup.  Yay!
Loaned to Real Betis in the Primera Liga, 5 appearances plus 12 substitute appearances, 1 goal - unlikely to be purchased
It''s not really looking good, is it?

[quote user="Katie Borkins"][quote user="curious yellow"]Amazing achievement then, with all those physical incapabilities that he should score all those goals in Portugal and receive international recogniton.

Pity that Ray Houghton didn''t see these obvious failings that you analysed.[/quote]
I''m not denying that I was excited, as I think most of us were, when we signed the £8.5m Dutch international striker.
It was quickly apparent he was not quick, strong or indeed tricksy enough for the Premier League.  I doubt he is any better suited to the Championship.
I would suggest the Portuguese league, with two exceptions, is lower Championship/League One standard.
If you have a different view, perhaps you could explain why he deserves another chance?
[/quote]

The player you described could not have achieved at any level what RVW did in Portugal.

He is a talented player who lost his confidence. If the club try to help him regain that confidence it could be good for us. So why not give him another chance?

If he was that feeble how did he produce the tackle that set up Snodgrass''s goal against Spurs or the knock back for Pilkington''s goal against Chelsea?

He hasn''t been selected for a decent run of games since he joined us when our manager was Chris Hughton.

[quote user="curious yellow"][quote user="Katie Borkins"][quote user="curious yellow"]Amazing achievement then, with all those physical incapabilities that he should score all those goals in Portugal and receive international recogniton.

[/quote]

The player you described could not have achieved at any level what RVW did in Portugal.

He is a talented player who lost his confidence. If the club try to help him regain that confidence it could be good for us. So why not give him another chance?

If he was that feeble how did he produce the tackle that set up Snodgrass''s goal against Spurs or the knock back for Pilkington''s goal against Chelsea?

He hasn''t been selected for a decent run of games since he joined us when our manager was Chris Hughton.[/quote]
He has had three seasons to regain his confidence and many many new starts.
He didn''t do much in France, which could have been a new start.
I''m fairly sure Alex Neil had a good look at him pre-season, and chose to loan him out again.
He hasn''t done anything in Spain really.
He hasn''t done anything for us.
We would be better off letting him go "by mutual consent" and paying him off so he can start again elsewhere.
A poor, poor signing without the overall game to justify the price tag.

Here we go personal insults just because someone has a different opinion on things, okay it should have read cock

ups.

So he scores against Rotherham and Portugese sides but they are only championship level but he is not worthy of a start against championship teams.

Perfectly logical.

I think Neil has already decided that he will not entertain RVW. If we get relegated and get a new manager in (I do not want that to happen, for the record!), he may have a chance to impress in pre-season, as he did last summer. He must surely know that this is his last chance to resurrect a career that has spectacularly turned to sh*t in the last three years. It''s not impossible that with a new manager and a new system (especially if it involves playing two up front) that he might get a few chances in the first team. It''s a long shot, but it''s not inconceivable that he could be part of our squad next season. If we can''t move him on and he shows dedication and aptitude in training, we may as well have him in the squad and see what happens. That he was once a regular goalscorer, including in European competition, should not be completely discounted.

[quote user="Clint"]Morty, I have also met Ricky on a number of occasions and whilst I am by no means a human tank (5''11 and 75kg) I would like to think that, as a regular gym goer, I do not have the physique of a 10 year old boy.

Ricky is both taller and bulkier than me, so does that mean I look like an 7/8 year old boy? Or perhaps Ricky is just more athletically built than your good self?[/quote]Of course he is, he is a professional sportsman, and I am a borderline alcoholic offshore worker[;)]He is taller than 5''11"?I actually just checked his wiki, and surprisingly he is 6''1".Seriously, when I met him he looked very skinny and slight, like a developing teenager.Maybe he has grown. Regardless, he is still sh1t.

What a weird strange club we indeed are, for so long now finding it so hard to  have even 1 striker scoring goals, yet for so long having had the likes of Hooper, and, still City players, Ricky and Lafferty, never playing either regularly or not at all for us. Defies logic,  unless you are a City fan.