Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

£12m for Mccormack?!

[quote user="Donkey dangler"][quote user="morty"]For the umpteenth time, who says Afobe ever wanted to come here?

[/quote]

Who says he didnt?[/quote]Well the fact he didn''t come here....

NO! NO! NO! Stop wasting money.

£12m for McCormack you must be stark raving bonkers or David Cameron (given his WW3 speech)!

Having wasted £8.5m on Naismith and £2.5m on Jarvis lets go for younger talent.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Donkey dangler"][quote user="morty"]For the umpteenth time, who says Afobe ever wanted to come here?

[/quote]

Who says he didnt?[/quote]Well the fact he didn''t come here....[/quote]

Afobe not coming here might be due to any reason not even related to the players wishes. Just that we were very keen in the summer so what changed during the autumn period?

Interesting rumours about agents.

Need 4 strikers next season one being Jerome possibly Lafferty, Morris to be given chance, need young goal pacher suggest Taylor or Roofe from Oxford. But would prefer big. speedy, mobile striker a la Jerome just need to get out of Champs. Read somewhere here that Champs level players will not be motivated to get to Premier League one response is bonuses and opportunity to impress.

Brady and Klose futures will be determined how they perform at the Euros, Brady not impressive last 6 months and Klose only 4 decent performance in PL but there is a shortage of capable CB''s.

[quote user="The Walking Man "]Personally I''d be trying to go for Britt Assombalonga at Forest. Just back from a horrific injury, young, bangs in the goals. If we''re spending £12m I''d prefer it on someone equally as good as McCormack with a potential resale value.[/quote]

Was just about to mention him as well, looks as if he has all the attributes to make it as a top striker. Unlucky with a potentially career threatening injury but if he''s fully fit then we could do a lot worse.

Also someone like Will Grigg from Wigan or Tom Bradshaw at Walsall might be worth a punt.

[quote user="Donkey dangler"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Donkey dangler"][quote user="morty"]For the umpteenth time, who says Afobe ever wanted to come here?

[/quote]

Who says he didnt?[/quote]Well the fact he didn''t come here....[/quote]

Afobe not coming here might be due to any reason not even related to the players wishes. Just that we were very keen in the summer so what changed during the autumn period?

Interesting rumours about agents.[/quote]Well unless the rumours refer to agents having the ability to control footballers minds, I''d say Afobe went where he wanted to go.

If we do get relegated, I''d like Carlton Morris to get a chance...he''s spent the season getting booted around in the SPL and done a pretty decent job in a poor team.

£12 million on McCormack is just madness.

Apples

How about Jonathan Kodjia?

Scored nearly 20 goals in his debut season in a struggling team and has told Bristol City that he wants to leave next year. Could be available for 3-5 million i reckon. Bit of pace, likes to run at defenders. Wouldn''t be the worst gamble imo

[quote user="Mr Apples"]If we do get relegated, I''d like Carlton Morris to get a chance...he''s spent the season getting booted around in the SPL and done a pretty decent job in a poor team.

Apples[/quote]Agree re Morris, him and the Murphy''s should at least be in the squad, otherwise whats the point?

I honestly do not think we need many players at all. As I''ve said previously, I believe Redmond will go, and all things considered its probably the right time for him and us, we should get a good fee. Brady will stay, I cant imagine there will be a queue of clubs from the PL based on his season as a whole. Klose is an interesting one, if you watched a DVD of every one of his performances for us, I''m not so sure it would look that appealing. He was a class act in his last 2 or 3 matches, but prior to that looked bang average. I think he will stay, and be our captain next season. Our squad looks strong, in the championship the likes of Morris, the Two Murphy''s and new signing Morrison give us that injection of youth and energy, we''ve got Tetty to come back into the midfield who was excellent last season in the championship.

I think with one or two additions, preferably a striker we would be very strong, stronger than last time in that division. Lets not panic, get behind the manager, trust the board and see where we go. All of this doom and gloom doesn''t help anyone.

I don''t think Morris should be in the squad; another year on loan would be better for him imo. It would help him and it would help us. We shouldn''t be relying on the likes of Morris and the Murphy twins to come off the bench to win us the game, we should be relying on proven quality players.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Mr Apples"]If we do get relegated, I''d like Carlton Morris to get a chance...he''s spent the season getting booted around in the SPL and done a pretty decent job in a poor team.

Apples[/quote]Agree re Morris, him and the Murphy''s should at least be in the squad, otherwise whats the point?[/quote]
Well, I think it''s a case of establishing 2 things:
1) Are they good enough for this league?
2) Could we, reasonably (fee ,wages etc), sign someone better than them to play instead?
I think the only one likely to get serious game time is Josh, who''s proven his ability in this league for MK Dons.
Morris hasn''t really done enough at Hamilton (judging purely on goals, ive not seen him play) to suggest he''s ready for Championship football. Nothing wrong with him going on loan again.
Again for Jacob, he''s done well in League One. Can he make the step up? If we sell Redmond / Brady I think we''d be able to sign someone better than him, and would do - meaning he''s unlikely to see much first team action.

Thats what pre seasons for.I was always impressed with Morris when I saw him in the yoof, it will be interesting to see how his "toughening up" season in Scotland has progressed him.Just imagine, we create our very own 20 goal a season striker, how good would that be?

If we are relying on Morris to be our primary source of goals we clearly haven''t learnt anything from the last few seasons.

[quote user="No Klose No Survival"]If we are relying on Morris to be our primary source of goals we clearly haven''t learnt anything from the last few seasons.[/quote]Of course we won''t rely on him, but is there anything wrong with wanting him as part of the squad?Which is actually what I am saying if you read back.

not sure we will wait until he is 29 to hit peak form...

Dont remember us ever "relying" on an academy striker since Sutton tbh and that didn''t go to badly so i fail to see the lesson we should have learnt.

Morris has been top scorer in a poor Hamilton team, and had some time out with injury but from what I''ve seen of him seems to have progressed well and agree with Miggins that he could be (in time) a Holt-type goal-scorer.

He''s got as much to offer as any of these other [insert names here] taken from football manager or other so-called reliable sources.

Apples

yeah I''m obviously not saying he''s got the ability that Holt''s got, or perhaps ever will, but in terms of style of play whenever I''ve seen him play, to me he looks like he''s watched a lot of Grant Holt video''s in the Norwich video room, (if there is such a thing) - the runs he makes and the ''advantages'' that he tries to get over defenders.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]yeah I''m obviously not saying he''s got the ability that Holt''s got, or perhaps ever will, but in terms of style of play whenever I''ve seen him play, to me he looks like he''s watched a lot of Grant Holt video''s in the Norwich video room, (if there is such a thing) - the runs he makes and the ''advantages'' that he tries to get over defenders.[/quote]I get what you are saying, and remember him talking about Holt being an influence to him, when he was still at the club.

perhaps I was being a bit harsh on him earlier as well. Although he hasn''t set the world a light in Scotland, even Loza was useful in our promotion push last season with that vital late goal. I would still prefer us to loan our youngsters out though and invest in proven quality.

If Alex has scottish connections still, maybe El Bakhtaoui at Dunfermline is worth a punt. 23 year old, scored 30 goals in 41 games for them this season, almost single handedly helped his club win their league to get into Scottish top tier.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]I would still prefer us to loan our youngsters out though and invest in proven quality.[/quote]You can''t keep loaning them out forever - it''s time they were given a chance. They''re plenty old enough now and you never know but a couple of them could turn out to be really good.There''s little point in having the academy if we don''t use what comes out of it. As for investing in "proven quality", haven''t we had enough "proven quality" failures to last a lifetime and you could hardly call many of them sound investments.