Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

£12m for Mccormack?!

Is that for real?! He''s 29 years old! That would be £12m down the toilet in my book. Funny we cant find £10m for Afobe but now we are supposedly in at £12m for Mccormack. It would represent a massive and poorly judged gamble in my book. He''s a solid championship striker but £12m for a 29 year old I''d be after something a bit more special for that. He''s worth half that.

£££ does. Even so, my point about mccormack still stands. Players over 28 should be cheaper given you are unlikely to be able to sell them on for much.

This is just a journo rumour no one does business now we still do not know what league we will be in which will make huge difference to which players stay and go.

Given this club more like 12p bid than 12m!

It''s an absurd amount and there''s not a chance in hell we''ll go for him near that price. It''s a stupid amount of money but I could well see a Villa/Newcastle/Qpr actually paying it.

I don''t see any other Championship strikers who we could afford being any better than Jerome, I don''t think we''ll buy a striker from that league next year. It would be too much money for a very modest upgrade. We''ll probably look abroad or at a PL sub for our striker next year. Keep Jerome, loan Bamford again, sign a forward with some real pace and have a Morris/Loza as back up and we should be set. Despite their failings this year, Jerome and Bamford are quality championship level strikers so should be quite strong up top next year.

I want most of our investment to go into a commanding CB and an energetic ball winning midfielder, as close as we can find or afford to a Kante-type player to hopefully stop us getting hit on the counter so often.

Must keep Klose and Howson (unrealistic, but I guess we''ll get to see just how good of a man manager AN really is) for at least half a season. We can raise money from our other slightly less vital assets like Redmond/Brady/Olsson. I''ve changed my mind about an overhaul. Instead of paying these stupid fee''s when we already have a lot of quality championship players I''d focus on keeping most of and building upon our current team.

We lack physicality at the back, energy in the middle and pace up front. We don''t have to sign the absolute best footballers we can, I''d look more towards addressing those weaknesses

We need to go back to our roots investing in young up and coming players who will move on the better things but who will benefit our club and themselves by the time spent here

You can see why he is being linked we can''t score in a brothel to coin a phrase, and he''s the second top scorer in the championship and not a side challenging either. I know Leeds fans who hate him I don''t know whether that''s them being bitter about him leaving, but then again they can''t believe how much money they got for him. We must have been looking at players and I''m sure we could do better our top scorers have 5 goals.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]We need to go back to our roots investing in young up and coming players who will move on the better things but who will benefit our club and themselves by the time spent here[/quote]Any that are good enough for this level, we can''t afford.

There is a huge amount of talent in the lower leagues it is all about having the ability to spot them recent examples being Ali from Mk Dons, Vardy from the lower leagues, and our own example of Grant Holt, we got him at 29 but he could have done a job for higher league clubs years before as well as his old Shrewsbury team mate Ricky Lambert who went on to play for England.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]There is a huge amount of talent in the lower leagues it is all about having the ability to spot them recent examples being Ali from Mk Dons, Vardy from the lower leagues, and our own example of Grant Holt, we got him at 29 but he could have done a job for higher league clubs years before as well as his old Shrewsbury team mate Ricky Lambert who went on to play for England.[/quote]We got very lucky with Holt, and we did buy him in league one.Huge amount? Its really that easy?

I'' suspect Loza will be a Southend player next season, so I would count him out of our squad, although I am of the opinion he knows wher the goal is and would possibly keep him as a back up but what do I know?

If we could get him for £5-7m I''d take him.

Our focus however should be on retaining the players we do have as we have a team that would be favourites for automatic promotion.

My biggest worry is Redmond - imo he''s a big player for us in that league (and even in this league he''s been our top scorer despite being out of the team during mid-season).

If we were to sell Naismith, Andreu, Mulumbu I don''t think it will be any loss, especially if we were to bring in McCormack. Whitts will be going so hopefully we can hold onto Pinto who I think we be great in the championship season and has been unlucky not to start more this season (imo our manager wrote him off like some of our fans).

Although I would love to see Klose stay, he''s too good for the championship and I think the money we would get for him would help in other areas of the team (e.g striker, or RM if Redmond does go). Bassong is very decent in the championship, helping both us and Watford last season.

I''d also get Bradley Johnson back as well for £3m.....because he''s $hit for Derby.

They made the mistake of playing him as a centre mid; that''ll do it.

Wow has it started already? Could of at least had the decency to wait until Wednesday night at the earliest when we are officially down. So, 12 million huh? What with relegation, plus a new interim CEO, i doubt Alex will even know for awhile exactly how many pennies he will have to spend on much needed new blood  coming to the club. But 12 million?, not a chance, for as we all know...you cant get Blood from a Stone.

I like the idea of build for the future shame Newcastle could be coming down with us or we could go for Adam Armstrong. however if we keep Jerome how about a zack clough little and large combination also could sit a little deeper and fit in a 4-4 -1-1 combination failing that how about something a little left feild like a bid for Nakhi wells ? all still the right side of 26 with carers ahead of them and all with resale value and hopefully young and hungry

I''d love to have Johnson back. At Championship level not every one of your 10 outfield players needs to be a great footballer. You can afford to carry luxuries like him. His wicked long range scoring ability and obviously visible determination/drive are things we just don''t have in our squad right now.

With our current team we need to outplay the opposition and hope for a good referee/bit of luck and no one getting injured/sent off to win, we just can''t pull goals and a result out of nowhere. Someone with a great long range shot like Johnson would remedy that. He did it numerous times last time we were in the Championship.

He''s one element of our recent past I wouldn''t hesitate to bring back.

I wonder how much the mess surrounding McNally''s departure will influence players decisions to stay or go, if they''re wanted elsewhere of course. They would be more likely to stay if they thought we were well set up to get promoted, I wonder how they will view things.

Club doesn''t sign any quality players: "No ambition, boo"
Club negotiates hard over Brady: "Skinflints, the club is embarrassing, boo."
Club now wants to sign highly effective Championship player for asking price: "Too expensive, waste of money, boo"
Seriously people, f*ck''s sake.  Do we have to criticise and carp at everything the club does or is allegedly planning to do?
McCormack would be an excellent signing and if the going rate is £12m, pay it.  He can create goals, score goals, link midfield and attack and is an excellent set piece taker.
If we have the money, let''s spend the money.  We wanted to see more ambition and statements of intent, here is one of those.  Stop whining, you fannies.  Try to enjoy the ride.

This is the sort of fee we need to be prepared to pay if we want to get back up ... Newcastle,Villa, Derby, Hull etc will.

It''s the going rate for a proven striker now as with the pots and pots of gold now on offer with promotion it''s a gamble clubs are happy to take. Burnley and Boro both spent almost £10m on Gray and Rhodes ... will we replicate that or assume our squad will be good enough with a few £3m tweaks?

Our problem is we need two new quality strikers or we are back to being an average Champ side.

If he scores the goals that get us promoted then its money well spent.I do however wonder why we sold Hooper as he obviously knows where the back of the net is, something we sadly lacked this season.

Cantiaci spot on

Teams in the champ have got better and we have some better personnel but need to add the best that we can. If it means some if the best from the division I agree we should pay it.

We need the best additions we can to try and bounce back but it will cost £££

The combination of relegation wages clauses and £60m parachute money over two years means that we have some clout in the market which we should use.

If this is true about McCormack then all sums our dealings up since Wembley in two words.

"Missed opportunities."

Who can be blamed for this is unclear but if we had signed this striker last Summer or even in the last window we may well not be staring relegation in the face.

Look at that vital 2-3 points and more that Defoe has gained for Sunderland.

[quote user="whoareyou"]If he scores the goals that get us promoted then its money well spent.I do however wonder why we sold Hooper as he obviously knows where the back of the net is, something we sadly lacked this season.[/quote]Precisely and this is without mentioning that we sold Hooper for £3m.  Is McCormack, a man who will be 30 by the time a ball will be kicked next season, money well spent at £12m?  Is he really worth 4 Gary Hoopers?I''m all for ambition, by christ am I.  But that does not mean that you spend money willy nilly.  We are desperate for strikers who know where the back of the net is, have a striking instinct.  I don''t think anyone would argue with that.  However as many have already noted our squad isn''t getting any younger and is £12m on a soon to be 30 year old, the best use of that money?  A McCormack who was a few years younger then perhaps.  I''d agree with the 5-7/6-8 million pound price range for McCormack.  I wouldn''t invest £12m in him and I would be surprised if our board did either.Realistically we need 2 strikers.  Perhaps the club decides it''s going to start the season with Jerome, RVW, (Morris as emergency back-up) and 1 new quality striker.  If we get shot of RVW then we definitely need 2 strikers.

....and that does not mean that I agree that we shoud keep RVW, just that if the club decided that we do, they may think that 1 more striker is enough.  Personally I think we need 2 striker.

Personally I''d be trying to go for Britt Assombalonga at Forest. Just back from a horrific injury, young, bangs in the goals. If we''re spending £12m I''d prefer it on someone equally as good as McCormack with a potential resale value.