Sign in to follow this  
jaemae2

Mbokani

One of the most extremely frustrating things about this year is seeing Cameron Jerome on the field ahead of Mbokani time after time after time. Guy is the best striker we''ve had since Grant Holt. He''s FAR FAR FAR FAR better than the likes of Jerome, Hooper, or RVW. 7 goals all from play in far far less appearances as well. How Neil hasn''t played him consistently is fairly shocking. 7 goals in this team is far beyond my expectations for him and is fairly remarkable.

Mbokani is Ok but has only looked really good on a handful of occasions - if we''d stayed up I''d have been in two minds whether I wanted to keep him. He''d probably look great in the champs but doubt we''ll see that, based on what he''s said and how much ££ it would cost.

we should at least make an offer.. Mbokani will be what 30/31 by the time season starts?he might not get this chance again.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Mbokani is Ok but has only looked really good on a handful of occasions - if we''d stayed up I''d have been in two minds whether I wanted to keep him. He''d probably look great in the champs but doubt we''ll see that, based on what he''s said and how much ££ it would cost.[/quote]

He hasn''t been great, I agree. He''s by far the best we''ve had for a long time. He isn''t a goal machine and never had been. 7 goals all from play in the PL is fairly remarkable from him (yes, he''s lived off bottom 7 teams). He also has been in and out and had not rhythm. Not a great striker, but good enough for the PL and should have never been in and out in favor of Jerome. He brings a heck of a lot more to the game at the PL level than Jerome. I am fine with Jerome leading the line in Champ.

Keep Jerome. Yes he''s been very dissapointing in the PL but he has proved himself in the Champs.

Mbokani has been good - not great - for us and I agree that he is the best that we have got. His best asset - which he has showed consistently - is his strength and hold-up play.

However he hasn''t had enough of a goal presence. I think 7 goals flatters him a bit because AN has been forced to rotate the strikers because none of them have scored consistently all season!

Jerome is a worker who will run the channels all day. For some reason for him, he can''t score in the Premiership. I swear it''s psychological, because I''m sure he would have buried half of his chances this year if he was in the Champ.

Mbokani was part of the front 3 I thought had real promise.

Mbokani, Hoolahan, Naismith.

We''d have stayed up playing those 3 - when they were together ie Liverpool.... What a force. They should have been played more - because they JUST WORKED.

Won''t be here next season. We can''t afford his wages and he will want to be playing in a top league.

Has already said he won''t be joining us if we didn''t stay up. Can''t blame him as he''s getting on in age and if better clubs are in for him then we''re small fish I''m afraid. By far the best striker at the club this season but then that''s half the reason we''ve gone down as 7 goals in a season ain''t too spectacular

Mbokani has some skill but I question his pace, bottle and commitment.

He doesn’t look quite so good when he bumps up against some of the more physical defenders.

According to AJ “if better clubs are in for him then we''re small fish…”

I would be amazed if he was playing in the Premier League next season, so who are these big fish?

I would say one thing he does clearly offer is a physical presence, defenders know when he''s around.

[quote user="GJP"]I would say one thing he does clearly offer is a physical presence, defenders know when he''s around.[/quote]

No he doesn''t and no they don''t.

He just doesn''t get stuck in, he hardly ever commits a foul, or mistimes a tackle or block because he doesn''t do any. He has not got one yellow card all season.

For a big bloke he just doesn’t hurt defenders anywhere near enough.

[quote user="Curious Canary"]Mbokani has some skill but I question his pace, bottle and commitment.

He doesn’t look quite so good when he bumps up against some of the more physical defenders.

According to AJ “if better clubs are in for him then we''re small fish…”

I would be amazed if he was playing in the Premier League next season, so who are these big fish?[/quote]
He''d do well at a big club in a weaker European league. I follow Fenerbahce as a second team and he''d be one of the top strikers in the Turkish league - Could see him at Besiktas or somewhere like that being very successful. Emineke was one of the best in the Superlig a few years ago and he''s been awful for Wet Spam. 

If he really wants to play in the Premier League again then he might have to take a risk [and wage cut] and sign here. Can''t see it happening though, sadly.

[quote user="Yellow and Green"]I swear it''s psychological, because I''m sure he would have buried half of his chances this year if he was in the Champ.[/quote]

100% agree. A chance is a chance, some of the mistimed jumps for headers 6 yards out and guilt edge chances he''d have buried last season. I mean for gods sake the strikes against Bournemouth, Watford and Brentford from distance (outside the box) seemed the norm for him too. It wasn''t even good goalkeepers this season that stopped him. It was himself.

I can kind of understand why Jerome started as many games as he did (although I would have started Mbokani more personally). Jerome''s work rate, chasing and desire to run the channels is vital when you are banking on having less possession than the opposition. It''s purely about mobility. Obviously Mbokani''s aerial prowess and strength was a plus point, but you need to mix it up. The big difference is that Mbokani is a much better finisher, and at the top level when you play one up front, he has got to be clinical (see: Jermain Defoe).

I don''t think we got the best from Mb. Nobody''s fault just the way it went.

Jerome always puts in a good shift but misses so many chances. He seems better when he creates his own (eg. Boro,)

If both of those were to remain for next season + a.n. other then our chances next season would be pretty good.

Would love to see Mkobani give it a season in the Champ, he would awesome. Highly unlikely but who knows.

I find this work rate desire stuff a complete load of rubbish. As far as I''m concerned id much rather have a player technically good enough to stick the ball in the net and take a larger portion of his chances instead of one who can sprint around chasing lost balls and can''t actually score. Looks good on the pitch but realistically it matters for a tiny percentage of the overall performance as a side.

A major reason we''ve been relegated is because we haven''t scored enough goals not because we haven''t tried hard! Jerome simply isn''t good enough to play premier league football and if mbokani played up top with Naismith from Jan things might have been different. Ifs and buts....

Spot on Great Wall just drop a line to Ranieri to let him know that “this work rate desire stuff is a complete load of rubbish”. You don’t need any of that, or any pace, just a bit of technical ability.

Being that he''s likely to be at the Cup of Nations for January and some of Feb, I don''t think we should sign him, especially considering the fees. And that''s even if he wanted to join a Championship team.

Just not good enough for me and not having players that can put the ball in the net is one reason why we ended up in the position that we have found ourself in, players that can score goals cost money it is very rare that you find one who''s a bargain or very cheap, it does happen but not easy and if you buy players from lower leagues or abroad there is always a risk as we found out with RVW his record was good but has just become useless.

I hope that we manage to buy a couple of strikers that can do a job in the championship and we can get ourself''s back to the premier league, I do understand that is not all about scoring goals and we know that Cameron can do a job in that league but whether you are in the premier league or championship the squad has to improve. The championship gets harder and harder to compete in every year and so does the premier league. OTBC