Sign in to follow this  
Crabbycanary3

Russell Martin's Interview

I thought the most telling part of the interview, (apologies , but haven''t seen it mentioned anywhere else) was his comment about which direction the Club wants to go in, the expectation, and to ''have a look at the culture of the Football Club''

Is that a post match reaction to relegation, or a rare insight to a long standing player''s feelings? Offering us mere mortals a glimpse of what the dressing room is actually feeling?

Players will go, that there is no doubt, but which players stay, and why, could be the major factor in showing the reaction to these comments.

There is no team to fear, in the Championship, we could attract new players, with investment (with certain player sales, and parachute payments ) so we can be a stronger team than last season.

I have witnessed a number of relegations in my supporting life, and this is the most ''positive'' I have felt about one. Do I like losing? Not a bit of it. Do I think we can have a successful 2016/17 season? Absolutely. Lessons have to be learnt, and dealt with immediately.

CTID

I thought it was good to see honesty from players and staff last night.

It''s true, we need to do some soul searching and prepare ourselves for a tough season but one we have every chance of doing well in.

Get the decisions done early doors, clean the slate and let''s absolutely demolish this league.

This is OUR league. It''s our back yard. Let''s smash it

ABSOLUTELY Buh!

It''s not arrogance, but a confidence that we can do the right things, make the right decisions, and move forward

Totally agree. Get things done early on, accept our mistakes, but deal with and learn from them. The quicker we can move on, the more likely we are to mount a challenge next season.

IMO it''s vital to keep the nucleus of the club together; I think that includes the manager, the captain, and the players that actually want to be here. If we can establish the identity and togetherness which we saw glimpses of last night and last season, I see no reason why we can''t really push on and dominate next season.

Still think there is an element of ''comfort zone'' playing for City which is why we seem to fail at the most important games.After Wembley i though AN might have removed that but it seems not and I''m sure this is what Martin is referring too.Lambert certainly got rid of it.

It certainly breaks any distance between the staff, players and fans. We want to hear them hurting - because otherwise it looks like they don''t feel the same as we do. I think everyone at the club knows this was completely avoidable with the right investment, sadly we were undersold and I think a certain ex-CEO knows that more than most.

I feel for AN, he hasn''t got much wrong this season, and although he feels he let the fans down - the people above him have done that too. And so have the people working for him, although without investment a previously relegated side with very little personal change in the defensive areas getting relegated again shouldn''t really bring too much surprise...

Below are just some of RM’s comments, taking into account what was not said is very interesting and this from a thinking, emotionally intelligent man, who also happens to be particularly articulate. My take on what he meant (and for the avoidance of doubt, this is simply my opinion) is added in brackets

Referring to last night’s game specifically,

1) It was like us at the start of the season, the first 10 or 11 games (in general we should have stuck with that style throughout the season)

Referring to the season in general,

2) We flitted in and out of too many styles (we should have stuck with our original style, the chopping and changing upsets rhythm)

3) If you look elsewhere to deflect blame, you’re kidding yourself (there have been times when the manager and individual players have ‘blamed’ others/other things – it’s time for everyone to take personal responsibility – which to be fair in their interviews both he and AN did)

4) A lot of changes, we haven’t found a settled routine (see point 2)

5) Going back to a more defensive style, no-one really enjoys playing that way (see point 1 & 2)

6) Watford are no better than us, what they’ve got is two dangerous strikers (we messed up in the transfer window)

Referring to DM’s departure and the club’s future

7) This is a chance for the club ….. pause……to move on (let’s change the mentality of the club to improve on what exists today)

8) I respected the job that he did here (adding that he got on with him but also adding that he had very little to do with him, imo this is a clever way of saying he didn’t respect the man)

9) A chance to have a look at the culture of the football club (inferring he thinks something needs addressing, otherwise why say anything, I think the use of the word ‘culture’ is especially poignant & see point 7)

It was the ''culture'' comment that really made me sit up and listen last night Ray. That one word says a lot.

Not quite agreeing with you on points 6 and 8 , with the DM references, but overall, yes, good dissection!

Crabbycanary,

Thanks and reference point 8, he could have said, " I have a lot of respect for DM and what he achieved here." which I think is the more natural form of words to use, he did not use them??

Ray,
I read your point 8 as him distancing himself from (or not being seen to condone) DM''s activities and modus operandi.
8) I respected the job that he did here (adding that he got on with him but also adding that he had very little to do with him, imo this is a clever way of saying he didn’t respect the man) 
Otherwise I think your reading of these comments is very helpful, thanks.

Thanks woostercanary,

For now, probably best if we accept each others opinion on point 8, after all they are only opinions.

Swindon,

Try this;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03tvnf2