Sign in to follow this  
Jezzard

Did the board exploit McNally's tweet to get rid of him?

I may have missed an answer to this saying “No way” but I’ve read a fair bit on McNally’s resignation and listened to interviews and other audio and haven’t heard this satisfactorily addressed. Is it possible that the board exploited a “mis-tweet” to get rid of McNally?

We hear:

-Saturday 8:25pm: McNally sends out strange tweet. This isn’t the time or the manner in which anyone would announce a serious resignation.

-Sunday 1am: McNally renounces his tweet saying he intends to carry on.

Sunday: The board meet to discuss McNally’s resignation and come to their decision.

Monday: The announce they have accepted McNally’s resignation

The key, and the bit that I may have missed, is whether it had gone on record that McNally reiterated his decision to resign on Sunday following the initial tweet and renouncing tweet.

At the time of the Sunday meeting McNally I was only aware that he renounced his resignation - we were told that he wanted to carry on. So is it not possible that he sent out this tweet in frustration; stress; heat of moment; whilst having a vino etc. then immediately regretted it but the board exploit the situation by accepting his “mis-tweet”? If so did they use this as an excuse to get rid of him for football/ political issues , or did they find his position untenable following the tweet? The former would seem wrong; the latter excessively harsh. Or did he want to leave so badly that couldn’t bear waiting one more week until the season''s end and announce his resignation in a normal manner? I know which scenario seems the most likely to me.

An interesting point discussed on anther thread Jezzard, I very much doubt that the board would have been so heavy handed as to sack him so quickly for a drunken ill advised tweet.

Clearly they wanted rid and the opportunity presented itself gift wrapped, gross misconduct presumably?

Getting rid of him in any other way, if he didn''t want to go, would have been a long, messy and very expensive business I suspect, he would not have made it easy IMO.

Did they definitely want rid, or had they just accepted he wanted to leave and there was no way to change his mind?
"Accepting a resignation" suggests he was the instigator, it doesn''t imply the board were happy to accept it.

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]Did they definitely want rid, or had they just accepted he wanted to leave and there was no way to change his mind?
"Accepting a resignation" suggests he was the instigator, it doesn''t imply the board were happy to accept it.
[/quote]Really, the board were not happy to accept his resignation? You know this how? Where you present during the board meeting? May be you were hiding behind the curtains?I don''t know if you remember but there was a "unanimous decision", and a quick one at that, so people must have been happy to come to this decision in a rather timely matter.It seems you are stating your opinion as fact, as per.

I think, he had handed his resignation in earlier that day, after the Man U result, the board were going to sir down with him on the Sunday, and he broke the confidence with his silly tweet, now was he really that drunk that didn''t know what he was doing when he posted that tweet ? don''t think so............... so he either wanted out and was making sure that the position was set that they couldn''t talk him into staying (in his mind he may have been expecting that from Delia and Michael).

The board IMO, no matter what their objective was to be on Sunday, had to accept after he broke the news, I personally don''t think they were too upset by that, his management of the club on a daily basis was alienating more people than it was inspiring, it would seem, if he had not "let the cat out of the bag" I''m sure it would have been kept silent until after Everton. IMO.

[quote user="Iwans Big Toe"][quote user="Katie Borkins"]Did they definitely want rid, or had they just accepted he wanted to leave and there was no way to change his mind?
[/quote]Really, the board were not happy to accept his resignation? You know this how? Where you present during the board meeting? May be you were hiding behind the curtains?I don''t know if you remember but there was a "unanimous decision", and a quick one at that, so people must have been happy to come to this decision in a rather timely matter.It seems you are stating your opinion as fact, as per.

[/quote][Y]

Personally, I think if you look at the chain of events McNally had clearly made up his mind that he wanted to leave on Saturday. I think the retraction he made on twitter was more likely to be a case of - sleep on it and see how you feel.

The board came together and made the decision to accept his resignation on the Sunday. So one can only assume that he still wanted to resign and they felt there was no point in trying to keep someone who didn''t want to be here. Just as there is no point in trying to keep a player under those circumstances.

[quote user="Iwans Big Toe"][quote user="Katie Borkins"]Did they definitely want rid, or had they just accepted he wanted to leave and there was no way to change his mind?

[/quote]Its a perfectly plausible opinion, don''t think he stated it as fact, that would just be silly. Notice the use of the word "imply"."In my opinion" the board were left with no choice, and there was nothing whatsoever to be gained from dragging it out.Also "in my opinion" I think the decision for him to go at the end of the season had already been made.These are my opinions, and are no way being claimed as fact.Jeez.

The Radio Norfolk interview with Ed Balls said the order was 1. He informed them of his resignation, 2. Resigned on Twitter, 3. Accepted his resignation. ''Messy'' was the word used as it was unprofessional for him to reply to that person on Twitter. He came off Twitter before because it wound him up - thought he''d learned his lesson. The bit missing is where he withdrew the Twitter resignation and claimed he was ''fully committed'' to Delia etc. That''s weird. Why do that?

I think foxruels because he was really pi$$ed when he first tweeted, and blottoed when he rescinded it!

[quote user="foxruels"]The Radio Norfolk interview with Ed Balls said the order was 1. He informed them of his resignation, 2. Resigned on Twitter, 3. Accepted his resignation. ''Messy'' was the word used as it was unprofessional for him to reply to that person on Twitter. He came off Twitter before because it wound him up - thought he''d learned his lesson. The bit missing is where he withdrew the Twitter resignation and claimed he was ''fully committed'' to Delia etc. That''s weird. Why do that?[/quote]I thought Ed Balls said that he informed them verbally after the game then put it in writing before we arrived at the Twatter saga ?

[quote user="foxruels"]The Radio Norfolk interview with Ed Balls said the order was 1. He informed them of his resignation, 2. Resigned on Twitter, 3. Accepted his resignation. ''Messy'' was the word used as it was unprofessional for him to reply to that person on Twitter. He came off Twitter before because it wound him up - thought he''d learned his lesson. The bit missing is where he withdrew the Twitter resignation and claimed he was ''fully committed'' to Delia etc. That''s weird. Why do that?[/quote]Obviously he tweeted in the heat of the moment, than after reflection, decided to withdraw it. No real mystery really. And its not really especially relevant, given the final outcome anyway.

^Yes, that''s right. I don''t personally think the Twitter fiasco changed anything. Resignation was effectively going to be accepted. Didn''t see the point in the ''fully committed'' tweet that followed though!

[quote user="foxruels"]^Yes, that''s right. I don''t personally think the Twitter fiasco changed anything. Resignation was effectively going to be accepted. Didn''t see the point in the ''fully committed'' tweet that followed though![/quote]Regret that what he had done could be damaging to Norwich City, and detrimental to our fight for survival? Attack of conscience?Like him or not, he was fully committed to Norwich City.

[quote user="morty"]"In my opinion" the board were left with no choice, and there was nothing whatsoever to be gained from dragging it out.

[/quote]My feelings also. It fits in with Balls claim that it destabilised the club.

As I said in another thread, when he''s publicty said that "relegation would be a fate worse than death" then he has nowhere else to go other than out.

The Board has been specific through Ed Balls that on the Saturday evening McN resigned first verbally, then by email.

As a matter of law, and contrary to popular wisdom, a resignation is a unilateral act that is immediately effective and does not require “acceptance”. Slavery was abolished in 1833. What sometimes happens is that an employer persuades the employee to withdraw their resignation, though this is often couched in terms of the resignation not having been “accepted".

Therefore, unless you think the Board are lying, all we can say with certainty is that in the circumstances, given everything from the failed transfer policy to the public tweet, the Board decided not to go to McN on bended knee and try to persuade him to withdraw his resignation.

[quote user="Making Plans"]Perhaps the irony is that he gave the Board an open goal & unlike our strikers they didn''t miss it [;)][/quote]

Get them on the pitch tonight!

Ed Balls quoted on the back of the EDP today stating the timing of the resignation was unhelpful.

Doesn''t sound like a board keen to oust him to me.

Now, Iwan''s Big Toe, I know you have an axe to grind with me ever since your libelous outburst a while back, and NBS just trails me around like a lovesick puppy, but please play the post and not the poster. Cheers.

[quote user="Donkey dangler"][quote user="morty"]

Like him or not, he was fully committed to Norwich City.[/quote]

I would be fully committed for £1m+ per year.[/quote]Well if you''d paid more attention at school perhaps?Seriously, don''t make it about money jealousy.

Most posts, along with official interviews and releases from the club, point to this being a matter which has blown up in recent days, upon realisation of our likely demise.

My guess is that discord of some sort had developed behind the scenes long before this past week-end and that what played out after Saturday''s match was the lid coming off to the public. Such a scenario would account for why the board was able to unanimously and so quickly accept the departure. Could this latest set of events link back to the fairly recent and extremely hasty departure of Bowkett and the appointment of Balls?

Well lets hope they find a credible replacement very quickly as there will be lots to do in the next few weeks and if we lose a month then we will be at a significant disadvantage in relation to player sales and departures

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Well lets hope they find a credible replacement very quickly as there will be lots to do in the next few weeks and if we lose a month then we will be at a significant disadvantage in relation to player sales and departures[/quote]Which is why they have immediately appointed a temp CEO, who is financially able to hold the fort.

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]I was asking a question, not stating opinion as fact. You need to learn to play the post, not the poster.[/quote]The op asked the initial question, to which you responded with a question, then followed up with your opinion oof what you deem to be the situation. So I merely responded to your question with several other questions, which you side stepped in classic Bor fashion, that is once your partner in crime had decided to chime in.You know there was a time, the Mr Chops persona, when I thought your posts were well thought out and mostly quite amusing. Sadly that time has long passed and you now come across as a bitter, hostile and spiteful cyber bully. May I suggest that you take some time off from posting on here. Find another hobby, fishing or snooker may be, take the misses out, spend some time with the family, relax and enjoy yourself. Anything to stop yourself moaning about anyone who isn''t Morty.And as for the "Big M", it would probably be best for you if you just posted on the other site. Then as a moderator you can just delete the posts you don''t agree with and your world would be a much happier place. Then again may be you''re posting on here, because there isn''t much activity in your little corner of the woods and you need to be made to feel important, hence why you had such a problem with Lakey stealing your thunder.

You can suggest what you like [Y].
In my mind it has been proven that he resigned, his resignation was accepted, and the decision was not of the board''s instigation.
You carry on with that chip on your shoulder, my man.

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]You can suggest what you like [Y].
In my mind it has been proven that he resigned, his resignation was accepted, and the decision was not of the board''s instigation.
You carry on with that chip on your shoulder, my man.
[/quote]

[|-)]

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]Did they definitely want rid, or had they just accepted he wanted to leave and there was no way to change his mind?
[/quote]"unanimous decision" means they equally weren''t happy to sit down and talk it out with him...someones paid for our failure this season... and it was Davey Mac