Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Right, time to regroup

We go again. If we can avoid losing too many then the basis of the squad is there for a promotion challenge. Neil has struggled this year but let''s give it the summer and 10 games next season and see where we are.

Howson, Olsson and Klose the key players to retain in my eyes plus give O''Neil another year. Mbok and Remond will go. Brady and Tettey in the balance. Lose more than four of those eight and it will be tough. Less than that and we should have a very good chance with he young players we have to bring into the mix and some money to spend.

I actually thought Naismith had a good game tonight - his best since Liverpool.

If we can keep him, he could become a vital player next season.

There''ll be some inevitable leavers, some of our choosing, some of the players wanting to go. I expect Redmond will go, he flatters to deceive too much, but turns heads and is well thought of - I hope that most of the other players we want to keep will hang around and give it a go. I don''t suppose too many will be heavily sought after, at least in the PL.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]There''ll be some inevitable leavers, some of our choosing, some of the players wanting to go. I expect Redmond will go, he flatters to deceive too much, but turns heads and is well thought of - I hope that most of the other players we want to keep will hang around and give it a go. I don''t suppose too many will be heavily sought after, at least in the PL.[/quote]Annoyed the $hit out of me that Redmond suddenly found form too late.I''m a fan of the lad, but he may as well have had a "For sale" sign on his back.

Jim Smith wrote the following post at 11/05/2016 11:10 PM:

We go again. If we can avoid losing too many then the basis of the squad is there for a promotion challenge. Neil has struggled this year but let''s give it the summer and 10 games next season and see where we are.

Howson, Olsson and Klose the key players to retain in my eyes plus give O''Neil another year. Mbok and Remond will go. Brady and Tettey in the balance. Lose more than four of those eight and it will be tough. Less than that and we should have a very good chance with he young players we have to bring into the mix and some money to spend

Jim do not understand the reasoning behind your comments, we were relegated 2 years ago with the same squad and there was little interest in any of players then - what''s changed now ?

Tetty has 1 year left on his contract, he is around 30 years old - why would he leave , who would want him, no one did last time we were relegated, it is more than likely he would see his contract out ?

Olsen similar circumstances to Tetty, 1 year left - yes nearly went recently, if a good fee was offered we might move him on, other wise let him see his contract out

Mbok of course he will leave he is a loan player (same as Bamford) - why would he want to stay (people say we are now only paying 50% of his £90k pw wages) ???????????????

Howson, again no one has ever shown any interest in him, probably 2 year left on contract doubt very much he will go anywhere

O''Neil offer him another contract and no doubt he will stay

Redmond interesting one, 1 year left on his contract but even if we kept him and allowed him to leave on a free we would get compo as he is under 24 years old (Burnley got £8.5M compo from Liverpool for Ings)

Brady long contract - performances of late would not justify a move - lets see what he does in the Euros

Klose - not sure had a bad injury - would anyone be prepared to pay £8/10M for him, may have him for 12 mths

It''s going to be a very interesting summer with relegation alongside the shambolic situation regarding Mr McNally.

First things first - we need to secure Alex Neil + review his backroom staff. The man himself has said that he will review his position, which is fine. Maybe the cold reality of a completely avoidable relegation will trigger a few changes that need to be made with the coaching staff. The board must see this? I personally think he was crying out for an experienced figure alongside him when we proceeded to go on that horrendous run of games, post the Southampton victory at home. Maybe to also have a little word with him after the 6-2 at St James'' as well. Ultimate turning points which stuffed us up. Once we have him secured, we need to back him to the hills. That way, we can''t say that we didn''t give him every opportunity if we are floundering in mid table around Dec/Jan again. The gap is only going to get bigger with extortionate TV income and things, so not getting stuck in the Championship is a priority.

Next up as others have said - we have a real chance to review the squad which has effectively got us relegated twice. I''m not saying that we should instigate a wholesale clear out - but I think we''ll see substantial movement amongst the ranks. Virtually certain outs providing acceptable offers for me are: Brady, Redmond, Naismith and Klose. There''s always space for Brady in a midtable prem side, Redders won''t sign a new deal so I imagine there''s not much we can do on this one except sell him on to the highest bidder, Naismith will not want to play in the Champs but will be happy with a move further North (If one comes up) and Klose is a class CB who will slot in well in the majority of sides. The only thing which will put people off with Timm is his injury - but I struggle to see him being here, beyond the summer and January.

On a different note - I''m not really sure what we''ll do with the likes of Vadis and Mulumbu. Not really been given a look in by Alex and I can''t see us wanting to pay Mulumbu''s wages (assuming that he is a higher earner), yet I don''t think we''ll have much interest for them? Other players like Olsson have had clubs very openly sniff around before (Swansea) so i''m not sure if anyone will come knocking again. Same goes for Tettey with his injury - he said before that he was going to give it one season in this league because of the way the games come thick and fast the last time we got relegated.

Next up is the debacle upfront, which I don''t really want to go into as it''s a mess. Assuming that Lafferty will find a new home after the Euros, leaving Jerome, RvW (If we don''t pay him off) and Morris as our forwards.

Not sure who we will be attracting in our situation, so I am genuinely intrigued to see what we''re going to do. Or am I just being apprehensive?

Time to roll on and face up to it again. It''s going to be a tough, tough ask next season. A bumpy road ahead.

Need prompt decisions by players and managers, who want to go, stay, encouraged to leave etc.

We have the core of a good championship squad so my hope is we replace any leavers and also recruit CBs & strikers who have the potential to step up after a successful season - we dont have them at the club and the current options (only the almost certain departing Klose excepted) are simply lacking. We have plenty of midfield options in the emerging talent box in addition to current squad to ensure the the expensive bits of the squad are targeted in the summer.

I can''t see Mbokani taking a c60% pay cut to play with us next season & in any event would rather buy someone who can offer more than a sporadic impact - his inconsistency highlighted by the number of times he was dropped.

Would make sense to loan out Klose and Brady rather than sell.

Redmond turned down the chance to leave last time we went down. It''s unfair to say he was only playing well for a transfer. He has had the extra motivation of the International squad this season and started well.

Just like to come back to you on this point, Zipper:

"his inconsistency highlighted by the number of times he was dropped" in relation to MBokani.

Everyone has been dropped this season. Every single player even Ruddy, seems to have been in and out like a jack in the boxes. It is one reason why we have struggled in my mind, we have had minimal consistency. One bad game and you go from the squad. It breeds fear and caution. One cannot single out MBo.

And others have been frozen out totally, some without being given much of a chance at all. Lafferty the prime example but Vadis, Mulumbu etc. Whittaker had a bad patch and seems gone forever.

Still, 37 games in, remarkably we cannot name our first choice line up. I can''t remember ever not being able to do that. It''s bad enough not having the game changers like Defoe, let alone not giving them the chance to become a cohesive unit.

I think if the players believe and buy into AN we should keep him, and do what we can to keep the players on board too. If they stick together we have a good chance that, with some added fire power up top, we could have a very good side to give us a good chance of fighting at the top of the league next season.

Let the dust settle, let the emotions dry up, then we can sit down and sensible look at who needs to move on, and do what we can to keep those who will be our stars next season. We certainly need to invest quite heavily in strikers and even if Klose stays another CB imo. But we''ll see, I''m sure some will unfortunately want to move on and we only want players here who want to play for the club.

Forgot to add - fair point Tumbleweed.

I would imagine that last night was a close to our best XI you can get, with the exception of Klose, Howson and Tettey being injured. The question is indeed, why that XI didn''t feature more consistently over the season. Ho hum!

Tettey will be crucial once again for us; can''t lose him. I can''t see Redmond being here next season unless he moves in January. Although I love Klose, he''s too good for the championship and it may be best to sell him in order to bring in a proven striker at this level.

[quote user="Gunthorpe"]Jim Smith wrote the following post at 11/05/2016 11:10 PM:

Howson, Olsson and Klose the key players to retain in my eyes plus give O''Neil another year. Mbok and Remond will go. Brady and Tettey in the balance. Lose more than four of those eight and it will be tough. Less than that and we should have a very good chance with he young players we have to bring into the mix and some money to spend

Jim do not understand the reasoning behind your comments, we were relegated 2 years ago with the same squad and there was little interest in any of players then - what''s changed now ?

Tetty has 1 year left on his contract, he is around 30 years old - why would he leave , who would want him, no one did last time we were relegated, it is more than likely he would see his contract out ?

Olsen similar circumstances to Tetty, 1 year left - yes nearly went recently, if a good fee was offered we might move him on, other wise let him see his contract out

Mbok of course he will leave he is a loan player (same as Bamford) - why would he want to stay (people say we are now only paying 50% of his £90k pw wages) ???????????????

Howson, again no one has ever shown any interest in him, probably 2 year left on contract doubt very much he will go anywhere

O''Neil offer him another contract and no doubt he will stay

Redmond interesting one, 1 year left on his contract but even if we kept him and allowed him to leave on a free we would get compo as he is under 24 years old (Burnley got £8.5M compo from Liverpool for Ings)

Brady long contract - performances of late would not justify a move - lets see what he does in the Euros

Klose - not sure had a bad injury - would anyone be prepared to pay £8/10M for him, may have him for 12 mths[/quote]

Gunthorpe - i''m not saying they will all leave or even most of them will leave i''m just saying that how many of them do will be key. For what its worth I could see a newly promoted side or a bottom half prem side looking at Howson, Tettey and Olsson because they are players who have performed reasonably well in the prem and whose current wages will be reasonable by premier league standard. I suppose I am just not sure how much appetite they will have for trying to get promoted from the championship again after sticking around last time when I am sure they all probably did have options. Howson probably the least concern there as I think he''s the type of player who values a settled family life and probably quite enjoys living in Norfolk.

I think we are in decent shape for the champ. Vadis, Jarvis and Dorrans will all be decent at that level as well plus we can bring a few of the youngsters into the squad.

I''m not so convinced Klose will leave as others seem to be. We own him, he''s under contract and before he came to us he was not even playing at his German club so its not like he''s some big time Charlie who expects to be in the team at a top flight side. the bits I''ve heard from him do not suggest a man who will throw his toys out of the pram so I live in hope that he might stick by us but perhaps i''m being naïve.

last time we can down we sold £11.5m worth of players to finance the signings we needed. Financially our position is probably pretty much the same, if not better, as our wage bill will have gone up a bit but we didn''t have a big net spend last season so probably made a profit and also our parachute payments are expected to be circa £8m-£10m than last time for the 2 years we will receive them. My expectation therefore is that the one outgoing deal the club will sanction and probably be keen to do is Redmond because if we can get the £12m being banded about for him then we should HAVE to sell anyone else we don''t want to sell.

[quote user="Gunthorpe"]we were relegated 2 years ago with the same

squad and there was little interest in any of players then[/quote]You have no way of knowing that Newton.....[quote user="Gunthorpe"]Tetty has 1 year left on his contract, he is around 30 years old - why

would he leave , who would want him, no one did last time we were

relegated
[/quote]Again, you have no way of knowing that.......[quote user="Gunthorpe"]

Howson, again no one has ever shown any interest in him[/quote]Outrageous assumption, you have absolutely no way of knowing of any bids/inquiries that may have been made for him.....Poor

Newton, it''s bad enough believing dodgy transfer rumours, but when he

doesn''t hear any of those rumours he then decides there is no interest

at all. You couldn''t make it up (even though he has).  [:S]

Silly buffoon Lappy - assumption on Howson & Tettey based on fact that they did not go anywhere or do did they - do you know something different ?Share it please

[quote user="Gunthorpe"]Silly buffoon Lappy - assumption on Howson & Tettey based on fact that they did not go anywhere or do did they - do you know something different ?Share it please[/quote]Just because they didn''t go anywhere doesn''t mean there were no inquiries or offers for them Newt which was what you stated. If you know there were none then could you tell us which director informed you or was it Alex Neil himself?

Slappy you silly Troll

I thought this is a forum for peoples opinions & views - or have I missed something and we are only allowed to post 100% facts ?

You will be like Purple next boring us to death with the meaning of particular woods and whether it changes if they are in the past tense (really ?)

Keep up the good Trolling work Slappy, if you ever have a view or an opinion please let me know (not holding my breath)

Oh and yes I don''t think a motley bunch of players (the majority are only top champ players) who have been relegated twice in the last 3 seasons will be in great demand over the summer, most weren''t last time

(sorry to butt in but) Lapps does make good points though. It''s unwise to perhaps use the fact that we only kept Tettey and Howson because no-one else wanted them. The likelihood is that bids did come in, but we didn''t accept them because they were/are valuable to us.

mrs miggins wrote the following post at 13/05/2016 1:09 AM:

(sorry to butt in but) Lapps does make good points though. It''s unwise to perhaps use the fact that we only kept Tettey and Howson because no-one else wanted them. The likelihood is that bids did come in, but we didn''t accept them because they were/are valuable to us.

Miggins you never post a view then (you only post hard facts)- that was my view and still is

To Troll around like Sappy does attacking people who post views is the definition of a sad Troll - he needs to get a life, no wonder fewer people post on this board with fools like him around haunting every thread

We all know if a player is adamant that he wants to go when an offer comes in from another club he goes. The chances of all these fictitious offers coming in for our players (Tetty & Howson in particular) last time and we refusing to accept them is pretty slim

[quote user="Gunthorpe"]mrs miggins wrote the following post at 13/05/2016 1:09 AM:

Miggins you never post a view then (you only post hard facts)- that was my view and still is

To Troll around like Sappy does attacking people who post views is the definition of a sad Troll - he needs to get a life, no wonder fewer people post on this board with fools like him around haunting every thread

We all know if a player is adamant that he wants to go when an offer comes in from another club he goes. The chances of all these fictitious offers coming in for our players (Tetty & Howson in particular) last time and we refusing to accept them is pretty slim[/quote]

There is a difference though between players being adamant that they want to go and players receiving offers that are tempting but not enough to convince them to jump ship. I understand we had several offers for players including Johnson and Howson last time round but they were rejected and the players were informed and happy not to force the issue as they were prepared to stay and help us get back up (and presumably the clubs involved were not that tempting.)

where I agree with you is that clubs probably won''t be "desperate" to sign our players this summer to the extent that they will keep coming back with multiple, silly money offers (except maybe for Redmond with a bit of luck) so I hope whoever is handling our transfer dealings this summer has the balls to reject a few offers and doesn''t get tempted at the first sign of decent money for any of our players.

I was at the game with Watford (3 games visit 3 wins this season ;-))and really enjoy the fans reaction but this win masked some of our huge problems this year and turn a feel as we are doing OK.

If we lost this game reactions should be different after the game and considering AN position.

A bit deja vu Barnsley win under Gunn years ago imo.

[quote user="Gunthorpe"]I thought this is a forum for peoples opinions & views - or have I missed something[/quote]Opinions & views are fine Newton but your quote on Howson was clearly written as fact........"Howson, again no one has ever shown any interest in him"If you had said "I don''t think there has ever been interest in him" then I wouldn''t have questioned it and we wouldn''t be having this discussion. And then you resort to the typical trolls defence by accusing others of trolling. As with all trolls, once people are aware of you, you change your username (again). Anyway, back to the debate (!), I would think there have been many offers/inquiries for most of our players that are never made public. The only ones that come to light are when players (through their agents) are pushing for a move. And because we don''t hear about them, it shows how futile it is to jump to conclusions.