Sign in to follow this  
iron_stan

championship strikers ?

jeromemorrislaffertyvan wolfie :/pretty sure we need at least 2 because jerome aside none of that lot are going to get close to 15 - 20 goalsid like nahki wells and assombalonga

Burnley spent big on Andre Gray, and it paid off for them.

Middlesborough paid big for Jordan Rhodes, also paid off for them.

i think if we have serious ambition for immediate return to Premier League we should also spend on some new decent fire power. For some reason, i''d be delighted to bring Chris Martin back from Derby County.

Assombalong and/or Hernandez would be fantastic. As I''ve said before I''d take Igor Vetokele for a change of pace too (not someone that could play up top alone though)

The lad at Bristol City i forget his name has scored over 20 in a poor side and also young Nicky Ajose at Swindon also got well into the 20s in league 1 and make be worth a punt to compliment Jerome and at least 1 good championship striker

This is the point when you wish again that we had used our premier league status to buy a striker rather than simply loaning Mbokani. At least at this point we would have another decent striker at the club, even if we were still getting relegated.

Getting relegated with Jerome and Afobe would have been a different proposition. At least there was a chance we could have convinced a new signing to stay. Even selling Hooper seems a bit hasty.

I think whoever we bring in needs to fit in with the way we want to play, to bring a high scoring striker from another club when we don''t play to his strengths would just be going down the hooper route again. I''m really hoping the McCormack rumours arnt true.

[quote user="jaemae2"]That doesn''t seem hasty in the least, pal as Hooper is garbage in the Champ too.[/quote]

I certainly wouldn''t want him as our first choice striker, but he''s got 13 for Sheffield Wednesday, so he could have potentially been a useful squad player again in the Champ.

I''d agree that we can do much better though. A lot of the suggestions on this thread for starters.

Jaemae, obviously it''s your opinion but how have you concluded that Hooper is garbage in the Champs?

[quote user="Clint"]Jaemae, obviously it''s your opinion but how have you concluded that Hooper is garbage in the Champs?[/quote]

Garbage is too strong, I agree. He''s your very very very average Champ striker. Sure that''s "useful''. Less so when you take into account you are paying him to be SO MUCH MORE than your basic 10-13 goal a season Champ striker, which is all he is.

Also is 1 goal ever 12 game stretches are FAR FAR FAR more frequent than his good patches. There are way better for way less. We didn''t lose anything by selling Gary Hooper, 3 mill was highway robbery in fact.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]All of your posts are about Hooper, even after he''s left.[/quote]

When he''s brought up as this amazing striker and "oh why did we ever sell Hooper". You bet.

I can''t argue that he''s a 12/13 goal a season striker based on the last 2 seasons but how many starts had he had over that period? I think it was only 20/21 for us last season and a similar amount this for Sheffield Wed.

The only full season he''s played in the champs, I believe he hit the magical 20 mark?

I think we all know why we sold him; he''s a bit of a luxury player and we didn''t use him well as we had better options. We played him behind the striker but is used to playing as a proper striker

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/championship/top-scorers

The link above shows the top scorers in the league. He''s not really near the top, but his goals to minutes ratio is good.

I''m not saying he''s a great striker but this obsession about Hooper for the last few years with you Jaemae is strange to say the least.

Wouldn''t mind a look to see if Glen Murray is available - think he has fallen down pecking power at Bournemouth and would be a good Champ striker and experienced head

We need  a pacy striker with strength who we can use if we got promoted again in a year''s time.Its something we lack big time is strength and pace throughout the side.

[quote user="Tommo"]Wouldn''t mind a look to see if Glen Murray is available - think he has fallen down pecking power at Bournemouth and would be a good Champ striker and experienced head[/quote]

Do we really want another old player on an expensive contract? When will this club learn?

"whoareyou?"

I agree with your point about pace and strength. If we are going to pay alot then that Nottingham Forest striker (pre injury) is the type to go for.

Pace and strength in the championship = Jerome

What we need is a different striker to what we have, we need a natural goalscorer.

Is Assombalonga that? (genuine question, not suggesting that he''s not) He''s had one good season in the championship, personally I don''t think he is a one season wonder, but it is a possibility.

Wells the Huddersfield striker is shorter than Jerome, got pace and scores goals. However some of the Huddersfield fans moan about the chances he misses.

Bradshaw of Walsall is 24 in July and he is out of contract this summer. If he is worthy of signing he may be a bargain free!

That striker at Bristol City that people have mentioned, cost them £2m.

i dont mind what height he is its pace that we need someone to unsettle defenders

it would not surprise me if we have a few more foreign signing ;-)