Sign in to follow this  
Derby Canary

Is Ed confused (AGAIN)?

Did folk used to use their political views to savage the late great Sir Arthur when he was chairman? The best chairman ever in my opinion.

Happy Days!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]Small-minded nobodies should hesitate before posting cheap and silly remarks about Ed Balls whatever opinions they might have about either his political affiliations or his political career.

Just a short excerpt from his Wiki biography:

"He is currently a Senior Fellow at Harvard University Kennedy School’s Mossavar-Rahmani Center for Business and Government, and a Visiting Professor to the Policy Institute at King’s College London. He was appointed chairman of Norwich City F.C. in December 2015"

This follows a FIRST at Oxford and eventually being elected MP.

These are no mean achievements. Embarrassing no marks take note.

Apart from being born in the City he is more than well qualified for being part of Norwich City Football Club''s long-term success.[/quote]

Great qualifications but has never had a proper job.
[/quote]You''re an idiot. I could dress it up with pseudo-polite euphemisms, but I can''t be bothered. You seriously think that for 10 years being effectively the chief economic adviser to a government in charge of the fifth-largest economy in the world is not a proper job? That being a major personal influence on crucial decisions (such as taking control on interest rates away from politicians, and keeping us out of the euro) that affected 60-odd million people, and had ramifications beyond our borders, is a piece of cake? And is an absolute doddle compared to, say, running a company that had at most a couple of thousand employees (and wasn''t even in the FTSE-100), which is all Bowkett (for all his virtues) had to cope with as chairman of Redrow?[/quote]

I can tell you''re a leftie, as you resort to personal abuse. He helped to screw the economy and that left us with a 160 Billion deficit that we are still trying to fix for the next few years. Being a useless professional politician is not a proper job IMO.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]Small-minded nobodies should hesitate before posting cheap and silly remarks about Ed Balls whatever opinions they might have about either his political affiliations or his political career.

"He is currently a Senior Fellow at Harvard University Kennedy School’s Mossavar-Rahmani Center for Business and Government, and a Visiting Professor to the Policy Institute at King’s College London. He was appointed chairman of Norwich City F.C. in December 2015"

Apart from being born in the City he is more than well qualified for being part of Norwich City Football Club''s long-term success.[/quote]

[/quote]You''re an idiot. I could dress it up with pseudo-polite euphemisms, but I can''t be bothered. You seriously think that for 10 years being effectively the chief economic adviser to a government in charge of the fifth-largest economy in the world is not a proper job? That being a major personal influence on crucial decisions (such as taking control on interest rates away from politicians, and keeping us out of the euro) that affected 60-odd million people, and had ramifications beyond our borders, is a piece of cake? And is an absolute doddle compared to, say, running a company that had at most a couple of thousand employees (and wasn''t even in the FTSE-100), which is all Bowkett (for all his virtues) had to cope with as chairman of Redrow?[/quote]At least get your facts right Purple, whilst no-one would deny Balls is high up in the list of people who influenced us not joining the euro, he''s not considered to be the most influential.  Sir John Major is by the fact of his negotiation of our opt out of the single currency, along with Denmark as the only two members of the EU with a legal right to stay

outside the euro. Even Sweden, which rejected the euro in a referendum,

is technically bound to sign up.  So don''t try and give all the credit to Balls, who carried on after Major left office and was greatly influenced by Martin Wolf who was an important influence on Balls at the FT.[/quote]I was guilty only of an inexcusable imprecision, by using "major" when I meant "serious". Substiture "serious" and, as you acknowledge, everything I said is accurate.[/quote]Play with words all you want Purple, it doesn''t alter the fact that you were as ever inaccurate with your statement that Balls was responsible for the UK not joining the Euro.  I say again that was Sir John Major.  Sorry if that''s the wrong side of the Commons for you but facts are facts.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Ed Balls in his short stay has overseen a big spending window.

He''s not really done much to be criticised or bashed yet.

Seems some however are using their political views to needlessly savage him.

Shame really.[/quote]

The moral of the story then is to not put a failed politician in charge of a football club especially one that has helped to ruin my country and is in denial. Good will not come of this IMO.

Some people ought to stop being such tools with regard to Balls, just because they don''t like his politics - it really is utterly pathetic. It''s too early to say what sort of job he''ll do for ncfc, but ultimately that is all that should matter here. [as to the ''failed politician'' aren''t they all in the end?]

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]Small-minded nobodies should hesitate before posting cheap and silly remarks about Ed Balls whatever opinions they might have about either his political affiliations or his political career.

[/quote]You''re an idiot. I could dress it up with pseudo-polite euphemisms, but I can''t be bothered. You seriously think that for 10 years being effectively the chief economic adviser to a government in charge of the fifth-largest economy in the world is not a proper job? That being a major personal influence on crucial decisions (such as taking control on interest rates away from politicians, and keeping us out of the euro) that affected 60-odd million people, and had ramifications beyond our borders, is a piece of cake? And is an absolute doddle compared to, say, running a company that had at most a couple of thousand employees (and wasn''t even in the FTSE-100), which is all Bowkett (for all his virtues) had to cope with as chairman of Redrow?[/quote]At least get your facts right Purple, whilst no-one would deny Balls is high up in the list of people who influenced us not joining the euro, he''s not considered to be the most influential.  Sir John Major is by the fact of his negotiation of our opt out of the single currency, along with Denmark as the only two members of the EU with a legal right to stay

outside the euro. Even Sweden, which rejected the euro in a referendum,

is technically bound to sign up.  So don''t try and give all the credit to Balls, who carried on after Major left office and was greatly influenced by Martin Wolf who was an important influence on Balls at the FT.[/quote]I was guilty only of an inexcusable imprecision, by using "major" when I meant "serious". Substiture "serious" and, as you acknowledge, everything I said is accurate.[/quote]Play with words all you want Purple, it doesn''t alter the fact that you were as ever inaccurate with your statement that Balls was responsible for the UK not joining the Euro.  I say again that was Sir John Major.  Sorry if that''s the wrong side of the Commons for you but facts are facts.[/quote]I am not playing with words. You are the one who is making up words I didn''t use, and also getting confused about which decision we are talking about.I did not say Balls was responsible for us not joining the euro. I said he had "a major [by which I meant significant] personal influence" on the Labour government''s decision in 2003 not to join the euro. You are mixing up that decision and John Major negotiating an opt-out from the single currency way back in 1991.Despite that opt-out - which was a passive rather than an active measure - Labour could still have joined up once it got elected in 1997 (as could a Tory government now). That Labour did not was in part because Balls (yes, influenced by Martin Wolf) argued strongly against it. But ultimately it was Brown''s decison, or perhaps strictly speaking his recommendation to the Blair cabinet.

Maybe Paul would like to revisit our recent history and see how much the banks played in screwing our economy.