Sign in to follow this  
Derby Canary

Is Ed confused (AGAIN)?

We could do worse Robert.

I''d like to think he will ''cut the mustard.''

I am particularly drawn to the fact that, like us, he has been a City fan all his life.

Can''t be bad

Few (if any) of them will be good enough in the unlikely event that they are successful in the play offs Ricky.

Chris Martin has done v well (at this level) but we know that the Prem is likely to be a step too far. Johnson has had one good game one ordinary. Butterfield has performed surprisingly well.

[quote user="morty"]*Awkward*[/quote]Take your time Morty in reading this and note some of the countries and states named in the section where you find Ed Balls.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_F._Kennedy_School_of_Government#Notable_faculty

As has been said many times before TIL 1010 we could n''t give one for his academic history we judge him on his current role and so far we have seen nothing (at all) to encourage us!

It all depends on what his job remit is. Do you know? Or is this simply bashing someone because of their previous job?

But saying we''re their feeder club implies that as a bigger club, they get first refusal on our best players and they''d be loaning their unwanted players to us and nothing remotely like that has happened. If anything they''ve been building off of our scraps, not the other way around. martin is good for 15-20 championship goals a season...so is Jerome! Shackell is a very good Championship level defender...so is Bassong and he''s probably our 4th best cb. i love Johnson but is he better than Brady or even Wes when played out on the left? Nope.

Butterfield like the others have done reasonably well at Championship level but most of our squad excelled last year. I wouldn''t be casting any envious glances Derby''s way. They have absolutely certainly not been taking our best or even first team players so how on earth could we be considered like a feeder club to them?

If we judge directors by the success of the club during their tenure Stephen Fry would definitely make the boardroom ball of fame....

So the CEO runs the club, but the CEO was described as "disruptive" by the Chairman.  Therefore, does the CEO really run the club?  Perhaps I should say, will the new CEO really run the club?  [:^)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]If we judge directors by the success of the club during their tenure Stephen Fry would definitely make the boardroom ball of fame....[/quote]I want to know what Stephan Phillips brings to the board.

The custard creams?  [:^)]

Surely While you have an owner who has majority share holding and an appointed CEO then they are never fully in charge of any business.....the majority share holder will have clause in any share agreement for casting vote on the business.

But I''m sure Purple will tell me otherwise!

Tilly, I think you are actually referring to the "notable alumni" section, not faculty as Ed balls isn''t listed in the notable faculty list on Wikipedia, so in answer to my point, yes, you are confusing the people that work there with those that have studied there in the past. Whilst there are some suspect regimes mentioned in that list most of those were in the 70s and 80s and in the interest o balance perhaps it''s worth mentioning some of the other people on that list such as the former head of the garda in Ireland, numerous Japanese ministers, American politicians aplenty (including a former head of the federal reserve and Obama''s chief of staff) ambassadors by the shed load and Ban Ki-moon.

[quote user="Indy"]Surely While you have an owner who has majority share holding and an appointed CEO then they are never fully in charge of any business.....the majority share holder will have clause in any share agreement for casting vote on the business.

But I''m sure Purple will tell me otherwise![/quote]You will need to ask someone else, Indy. I have resigned as chief financial analyst of the Norwich Chapter of the Inner Circle, following criticism that me being right all the time was giving the organisation,which prides itself on its incompetence, a bad name. I tried to rescind my resignation by carrier-pigeon but Ermintrude (that is the plucky pigeon) ended up as lunch for those peregrine falcons nesting on top of the cathedral, so the message never got through. I gather the chapter is holding interviews soon. They did draw up what they thought was a longlist of applicants but then realised it was all Waveney...

can some one explain why ED Balls is a non paid Chairman ?

why would you do a job and not get paid ? also what other income does he have ?

Yes, I''m sure someone can.

Because you can.

He has a newspaper column doing cooking recipes, he lectures at universities and his wife has a full time job.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Small-minded nobodies should hesitate before posting cheap and silly remarks about Ed Balls whatever opinions they might have about either his political affiliations or his political career.

Just a short excerpt from his Wiki biography:

"He is currently a Senior Fellow at Harvard University Kennedy School’s Mossavar-Rahmani Center for Business and Government, and a Visiting Professor to the Policy Institute at King’s College London. He was appointed chairman of Norwich City F.C. in December 2015"

This follows a FIRST at Oxford and eventually being elected MP.

These are no mean achievements. Embarrassing no marks take note.

Apart from being born in the City he is more than well qualified for being part of Norwich City Football Club''s long-term success.[/quote]

Great qualifications but has never had a proper job.

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]Small-minded nobodies should hesitate before posting cheap and silly remarks about Ed Balls whatever opinions they might have about either his political affiliations or his political career.

"He is currently a Senior Fellow at Harvard University Kennedy School’s Mossavar-Rahmani Center for Business and Government, and a Visiting Professor to the Policy Institute at King’s College London. He was appointed chairman of Norwich City F.C. in December 2015"

Apart from being born in the City he is more than well qualified for being part of Norwich City Football Club''s long-term success.[/quote]

Great qualifications but has never had a proper job.[/quote]

Which of the jobs that he did before politics wasn''t ''proper''?

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]Small-minded nobodies should hesitate before posting cheap and silly remarks about Ed Balls whatever opinions they might have about either his political affiliations or his political career.

[/quote]You''re an idiot. I could dress it up with pseudo-polite euphemisms, but I can''t be bothered. You seriously think that for 10 years being effectively the chief economic adviser to a government in charge of the fifth-largest economy in the world is not a proper job? That being a major personal influence on crucial decisions (such as taking control on interest rates away from politicians, and keeping us out of the euro) that affected 60-odd million people, and had ramifications beyond our borders, is a piece of cake? And is an absolute doddle compared to, say, running a company that had at most a couple of thousand employees (and wasn''t even in the FTSE-100), which is all Bowkett (for all his virtues) had to cope with as chairman of Redrow?

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]When Bor was pontificating the other day about Ed and his economic qualifications i suggest someone look up the fellow company he has at the Harvard Kennedy University or whatever it is called. It is riddled with 3rd world countries Kings and Presidents, South American officials from drug riddled countries and heads of state from numerous banana republics. If anybody can point out anyone of note i will be amazed with any economic clout i will be amazed. Please take note Broadstairs as all that glistens is not necessarily gold.[/quote]

Are any of them ''fantastically corrupt''?

[/quote]Are any of them giant lizards?and what about that scotch mate of his who saved the world? Saving NCFC should be a doddle.[:D][/quote][:D][Y]

[quote user="julian hudson"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]When Bor was pontificating the other day about Ed and his economic qualifications i suggest someone look up the fellow company he has at the Harvard Kennedy University or whatever it is called. It is riddled with 3rd world countries Kings and Presidents, South American officials from drug riddled countries and heads of state from numerous banana republics. If anybody can point out anyone of note i will be amazed with any economic clout i will be amazed. Please take note Broadstairs as all that glistens is not necessarily gold.[/quote]

Are any of them ''fantastically corrupt''?

[/quote]Are any of them giant lizards?and what about that scotch mate of his who saved the world? Saving NCFC should be a doddle.[:D][/quote][:D][Y]

[/quote]http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/feb/11/saving-world-william-keegan-review

Great qualifications but has never had a proper job.[/quote]

Thing is, you have absolutely no idea what a senior fellow is now do you?

I wonder what Paul Moy''s proper job is (suggestions welcomed in the meantime until he answers)?

Apples

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]Small-minded nobodies should hesitate before posting cheap and silly remarks about Ed Balls whatever opinions they might have about either his political affiliations or his political career.

[/quote]You''re an idiot. I could dress it up with pseudo-polite euphemisms, but I can''t be bothered. You seriously think that for 10 years being effectively the chief economic adviser to a government in charge of the fifth-largest economy in the world is not a proper job? That being a major personal influence on crucial decisions (such as taking control on interest rates away from politicians, and keeping us out of the euro) that affected 60-odd million people, and had ramifications beyond our borders, is a piece of cake? And is an absolute doddle compared to, say, running a company that had at most a couple of thousand employees (and wasn''t even in the FTSE-100), which is all Bowkett (for all his virtues) had to cope with as chairman of Redrow?[/quote]At least get your facts right Purple, whilst no-one would deny Balls is high up in the list of people who influenced us not joining the euro, he''s not considered to be the most influential.  Sir John Major is by the fact of his negotiation of our opt out of the single currency, along with Denmark as the only two members of the EU with a legal right to stay

outside the euro. Even Sweden, which rejected the euro in a referendum,

is technically bound to sign up.  So don''t try and give all the credit to Balls, who carried on after Major left office and was greatly influenced by Martin Wolf who was an important influence on Balls at the FT.

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]Small-minded nobodies should hesitate before posting cheap and silly remarks about Ed Balls whatever opinions they might have about either his political affiliations or his political career.

[/quote]You''re an idiot. I could dress it up with pseudo-polite euphemisms, but I can''t be bothered. You seriously think that for 10 years being effectively the chief economic adviser to a government in charge of the fifth-largest economy in the world is not a proper job? That being a major personal influence on crucial decisions (such as taking control on interest rates away from politicians, and keeping us out of the euro) that affected 60-odd million people, and had ramifications beyond our borders, is a piece of cake? And is an absolute doddle compared to, say, running a company that had at most a couple of thousand employees (and wasn''t even in the FTSE-100), which is all Bowkett (for all his virtues) had to cope with as chairman of Redrow?[/quote]At least get your facts right Purple, whilst no-one would deny Balls is high up in the list of people who influenced us not joining the euro, he''s not considered to be the most influential.  Sir John Major is by the fact of his negotiation of our opt out of the single currency, along with Denmark as the only two members of the EU with a legal right to stay

outside the euro. Even Sweden, which rejected the euro in a referendum,

is technically bound to sign up.  So don''t try and give all the credit to Balls, who carried on after Major left office and was greatly influenced by Martin Wolf who was an important influence on Balls at the FT.[/quote]I was guilty only of an inexcusable imprecision, by using "major" when I meant "serious". Substiture "serious" and, as you acknowledge, everything I said is accurate.

Ed Balls in his short stay has overseen a big spending window.

He''s not really done much to be criticised or bashed yet.

Seems some however are using their political views to needlessly savage him.

Shame really.