Sign in to follow this  
Graham Paddons Beard

Play Offs (part II)

Here''s a thought to ponder.

The play offs tonight . Sheff Wed finished a massive 15 points behind Brighton. This seems to be the widest margin for many years.

I know the Play Offs are great and all that (especially last year) but I do think that there should be a margin (like 15 points) where the team finishing third should get an automatic place in the final. I know that the money is good for the play off teams but surely there should be a cut off?

I would say if the gap is , 12-15 points above the finishing 6th, 6th is out of it. It doesn''t happen very often. That said in 2004/05 West Ham finished 12 points behind the Binners and beat them so maybe it is a good idea [:D]

In such cases it can seem unfair. But they''re the rules from the start of the season. On the bright side if they abolished the play offs the binners could have their end of season party in January...

Not for the first time since the play offs started the 6th placed club has made a mockery of a huge points difference between themselves and the 3rd placed club.Sheff Wed 2 Brighton 0.

Should definitely be an advantage in finishing third.

For me I would have the forth and fifth teams play each other for the right to play the third placed team in the final.

I have always thought a side from the higher division should be included in the play-offs - so for the PL it would be the side finishing 18th. This would actually be much as it was when they were first introduced (and more like it is in Scotland, where the sides from the lower division play-off for the right to play the higher division side); 6th place (and in L2 it''s 7th) has always felt far too ''distant'' to be involved.