Sign in to follow this  
unique

Lessons to learn from this seasons promoted sides.....

It is looking odds on for a Sheff Wed v Hull play-off final, so I have included both teams for the following figures for the current season:-                                      Transfer Spend             Striker Spend                  Transfer Income              Nett SpendBurnley                                 £19m                               £14m                                 £15m                           £4mMiddlesboro                         £24m                               £16m                                   £5m                          £19mSheffield Wed                       £13m                                £8m                                   £1m                           £12m  Hull                                        £7m                                 £2m                                  £26m                        - £19m

Two things stand out :-

1) The bulk of your transfer money has to go on  strikers.2) You don''t need to spend a fortune to achieve promotion.

That''s a bit of a simple correlation for me - what was the quality of the respective squads before the transfer spend?

How many goals did each teams'' strikers score - and were they in the squad before or after transfers?

It is vital that we have a main striker that nets 20+. I can''t see it being Jerome, so unless Mbokani stays we definitely need to buy someone.I hope to see Carlton Morris on the fringes.

i agree it is time to blood / see if the youngsters can come in maybe on the fringe but if good enough claim a place in the team

we will have quite a few younsters murphys morris maddision / godfrey all who could play a part next season

i want to see what these players can do in our team not someone elses time to build a team which grows together

Whilst I agree Morty that it''s important to have someone nudging the 20 goal mark, it''s worth remembering that Middlesbrough got promoted this season without one single player getting into double figures for goals.