Sign in to follow this  
Graham Paddons Beard

Is this the worst relegation?

I''m interested in other posters views. I first went to Carrow Road in 1972. Since then I have seen a lot of ups and downs , but I am struggling with this one. (downs) Maybe it is just a timing issue .

The ones that spring to mind are :

1985 . won the League Cup, beat Ipswich , comfortably mid table - ish. beat Chelsea and we are virtually safe. Coventry win three games including the scandalous Everton game. That was pretty bad.

1981. We look like we might stay up. Beat the Binners (Fashanu I think) and then already relegated Leicester (Linex?) beat us at home .

2009 - by this time the club is in freefall so I expected it. Still it is the lowest the club has ever been in my lifetime (when we lost to Brentford I think we were 3rd from bottom)

but this one, seems harder to take? Is it just me?

I''m not sure about the worst, I felt far more annoyed about the relegation under Hughton than this one. It was certainly an avoidable relegation though. I think personally as the key positions that everyone knew needed to be strengthened weren''t, and a lot of poor displays on the pitch, I''ve had a lot of time to accept that relegation was coming so the sting has gone from it

Funny ... I feel the opposite. I''ve never been convinced that we weren''t a plucky Championship this season so the demotion feels appropriate (every side has beaten us bar Everton ... even Villa!!!).

The last relegation hurt me the most. Hughton well and truly wasted the Lambert legacy.

2005 was pretty galling in terms of the final day no show when a win would have kept us up and I think the most aggrevating relegation was 2014 for a number of reasons, style and surrender at the end of the season just two.

For some reason this one doesn''t seem so bad, whilst there have been numerous reasons given for relegation at least for most of the season we put up a fight and if a few close games had gone our way we would have survived. (Stating the bleeding obvious I know but you get my drift!)

The relegation to League One was the worst one I can remember. Relegation from the Premier League is always a possibility, but from the Championship?  Gutted.

2005 was by far the worst I have suffered....

It was in our own hands on the final day we only needed to match West Broms result on the day and surrended so timidly getting stuffed 6-0 at Fulham

That trip home was colossus !

They all feel bad, this one probably the least so. Agree 2005 was gutting, as it really all was in our own hands, and I genuinely expected us to survive.

This one is nowhere near the worst relegation from the top flight in the time I''ve been going.1974 - Not that gutting. Having survived by the skin of our teeth in our first ever season in the top flight it was obvious we weren''t good enough.1982 - Fairly gutting. Thought we''d do it only to lose 3-2 at home to already doomed Leicester. Defence was a bag of nerves on the day.1985 - More than fairly gutting. Looked safe after the Milk Cup win only to get hijacked by Coventry at the death.1995 - Totally gutting. From rubbing noses with top European clubs to relegation was unforgiveable. 6th in December ''94. Fatal mistake was installing Andy Marshall in goal for the injured Gunny. " San Siro to Southend in 18 months ".2005 - Not as gutting as it probably should be. Last day disaster yes but we looked dead in the water until that last great run leading up to Fulham. Had we had Dean Ashton all season we''d almost certainly have stayed up.2014 - Again totally gutting. Forgot how to score goals owing to the Board''s failure to replace the manager. Dreadful football with zero entertainment for most of the season.2016 - Not that gutting mainly because it was plain as the nose on your face that the team needed strengthening. The Board''s idea of strengthening was, as usual, somewhat different from that of most other peoples.

The relegation to league one felt like the end of the world at the time, but what came after (Well after McNally sacked Gunn) was just amazing.

For me the relegation to league one had a certain inevitability to it, yes galling, but not as upsetting as some of the others...the Colchester match more than made up for that though.

The worst relegations for me were 2005 when it was all in our hands I can remember going to the pub to watch it in such an optimistic mood with my mates, I think I went home on my own after about 60 minutes. And on a personal note the 95 relegation because my family are Leeds fans and it was a loss to Leeds that I believe relegated us, I had to watch MOTD on a different telly as I couldn''t face being in the same room as them for the highlights(?).

Weirdly enough, I didn''t find our recent relegation that upsetting. I guess sometimes in life you just want to taste what it is like to win, and we found that tough last season. But you know what? We came very close, and the club is the healthiest financially it has ever been. I predict we will be tasting a lot of success next season.

However I wont expect Premier League longevity until Delia and Co are replaced. As much as I love them, we will never forge Prem status with them at the helm.

I guess the only sure way to avoid the disappointment of relegation from the PL is to avoid the euphoria of promotion to it. Maybe the binners are on to something....

The one last time when the board (coked up and got Adams was the worst one for me. Just seemed such a stupid thing to do with just 4 games to go. Still makes me angry just thinking about it. Suppose it worked out all right in that championship season though tbf afterwards - Wembley final and a young new manager who''s got that same unique presence of Lambert.

It was  all about one game really Miggo, the Fulham game. It''s not hindsight for either of us to say Hughton should have been given the last four if they thought he was best for the first 34. But events happen because other events happen and we ended up winning at Wembley last May.

Indeed, it''s not hindsight. Some/most wanted Hughton gone around before xmas time, once it went passed that then it seemed the most logical thing would be to stick with him until the end of the season, instead the board did what most sensible people knew was the worst thing to do at the time, although there was some delight by a minority as expected. As i said previously, those mistakes ended up meaning we went to Wembley which was a memory I''ll never forget.

Not even close to the worst for me. I''m only old enough to remember four relegations and the one in 2005 was easily the worst. Settling down to watch the game feeling all optimistic with it being in our own hands and then watching us get utterly humiliated live on TV was horrific.

2009 I was out of the country so it stung less. The Hughton one I could deal with as it meant getting rid of him. This one I''ve been part expecting since the end of August so I''m ok with it.

Like many on here this is my seventh relegation and nowhere near the worst one. In fact I''d say it is the least gutting other than 1974, mainly because I feel we are in a decent position to be fighting to come back up.

By far and away the worst one for me was Fulham. As always it''s the hope that gets you. After struggling all season we have that late surge to pull ourselves out of the relegation zone for the last game only to produce the worst no show I can remember in a big game. I remember hardly being able to talk for the whole evening and was a grumpy git for days after.

A bit OT but didn''t want to start a thread; does anyone know why we are below newcastle in the table? Same goals for and against and same points. Is it alphabetized? I just genuinely don''t know. Every place is worth more money so finishing 18th should be our goal.

i believe that if all else is exactly square, (goal diff. etc) then the results of the two games between the two sides is taken into consideration. so if newcastle scored more against you, than you did against them, they go above you in the league.

To have to rely on other clubs in 1947 and 48 to be re elected to retain our place in league football have finished twice on level points with the bottom team in the then lowest division Div 3. Today''s problems minuscule compared with those times. 

[quote user="hardley"]To have to rely on other clubs in 1947 and 48 to be re elected to retain our place in league football have finished twice on level points with the bottom team in the then lowest division Div 3. Today''s problems minuscule compared with those times.  [/quote]Blimey! [:O]How much do you get for the winter fuel allowance?

[quote user="exiled blue"]i believe that if all else is exactly square, (goal diff. etc) then the results of the two games between the two sides is taken into consideration. so if newcastle scored more against you, than you did against them, they go above you in the league.[/quote]

You can believe what you like but that''s not what the rules state, currently we are joint 18th.

C.7. Subject

to Rule C.17, if any 2 or more Clubs have scored the same number of

points, have the same goal difference and have scored the same number of

goals in League Matches in that Season they shall be deemed to occupy

the same position in the table.

C.17.

If at the end of the Season either the League Champions or the Clubs to

be relegated or the question of qualification for other competitions

cannot be determined because 2 or more Clubs are equal on points, goal

difference and goals scored, the Clubs concerned shall play off one or

more deciding League Matches on neutral grounds, the format, timing and

venue of which shall be determined by the Board.

[quote user="HertsCanary93"]The Championship relegation was just awful. How on earth we assembled a squad so bad I''ll never know.[/quote]

It started with a Chairman/Chief Exec who relied on short term loans to keep the club afloat.

I''d say the relegation in 94/95 was one of the hardest to take.

Having been in the top division for 9 consecutive seasons from 86/87 onwards, our longest sustained spell in the top flight in our history, and never having any real relegation scrapes during that 9 seasons, it was assumed that we were a fairly permanent fixture in the top division.

Having played in Europe only the previous season and being 7th in the table on new years day 1995, how we collapsed in the 2nd half of that season was unbelievable.

I distinctly remember even on transfer deadline day at the end of March as it used to be then, when it was clear that we needed help with the squad that was alarmingly falling down the table that the then manager John Deehan nonchalantly saying that we wouldnt be doing any business, as if he thought we''d be o.k

....a painful day at Elland Road when we went down......and for all the "On loan to the Endsleigh league" T-shirts that were doing the rounds the following summer, coupled with the appointment of Martin O''Neill, as was the assumption that we would come straight back up, it took us another 9 seasons to finally do it in 2003/04.

I hope we''re not looking at a similar length of time to get back this time around?!?

1995 for me - horrible 2nd half to the season..

I think it''s harsh to blame Marshall for anything - it was the sale of Scott Howie in Oct 1994 that left us short of a covering keeper.

Also - don''t forget the amazing Simon Tracey - his bizarre performance vs Coventry has scarred me for life...

Interestingly you could blame the sale of Efan Ekoku to Wimbledon, as if i remember rightly he scored the winning goals against us both home and away...

i think that one especially hurt as we only got 300k for him - and it was just before Gunny got injured..

Of course - the next season we bounced straight back* after bringing in Matthew Rush...

(*may not have actually happened)

Agree buddy. We paid the same fee for him as we sold him for.

When I was last involved in vets football (venue not playing!) Scott played midfield for Cringleford.