Sign in to follow this  
firststeps

Redmond v Watford

Well, wasn''t that predictable, Redmond shows up 36 games to late! Very impressive, glad you''ve added to your fee with tonight''s performance, good riddance.

He''s been our best attacking player all season. Madness that he was benched the times he was.

He was given the freedom today like at the start of the season to do what he wanted. Played as well today as he did at the start of the season.

We have not seen a Redmond on that type of form all season, irrespective of whether he has started or not. The BBC text commentator summed it up best for me; "Has Christian Ronaldo taken the field wearing Redmond''s kit?" Why have we not seen more of that?

That''s fair. But nobody has been better. He is the best we have and we haven''t used him as best we can or as often as we can.

Get rid of him! Typical shop window performance from a player I''ve seen perform only a handful of times since he arrived. He was scared of the United defence on Saturday, but as soon as we''re basically relegated, he turns it on. Pathetic.

Get a decent fee and drive him to wherever he needs to go. Overrated.

Row D Seat 7 wrote the following post at 12/05/2016 12:27 AM:

Get rid of him! Typical shop window performance from a player I''ve seen perform only a handful of times since he arrived. He was scared of the United defence on Saturday, but as soon as we''re basically relegated, he turns it on. Pathetic.

Get a decent fee and drive him to wherever he needs to go. Overrated.

What an absolutely ridiculous post, it should not be Redmond who we need to get rid of but people who have not got a clue about football. So you prefer Jarvis ???

There''s no doubt Redmond could be a great player but then on the other hand he might not be.Having seen all his performances this season I would break them down into 3 moods - 1. Not interested - 40% of games. Lazy, slow, poor attitude, looks uninterested, can''t be bothered to track back and always ready to point the finger at other players when he''s the one who has not done his job or screwed up.2. Interested but not good enough - 40% of games. Unable to beat players, poor crosses, free kicks & corners that either don''t get past the first defender or go straight out of play on the other side. 3. Interested & excellent - 20% of games. Like tonight, quick, sharp and basically running the show. A match winner on his day. Sadly that''s only 1 in 5 games so can you afford to keep him in the side based on that or, especially when you''re in a hole, do you stop digging & try an alternative.He does seem to have hit a bit of form the last 2 or 3 games. That might be because he''s looking to get away or because he might have at last seen the light. If possible I''d keep him but we have to get him to sign a new contract and I don''t think that''s likely, I think he would have been offered one, and accepted it, if he wanted to stay. If we can''t keep him then I would want no less than £10m for him and I don''t think there would be a shortage of Clubs after him at that sort of price. He is holding all the aces and it will ultimately be his decision..With regards the current alternative, as far as I can see Jarvis is a one hit wonder. No problem with attitude or application but he does not convince me at all that he''s remotely good enough, even for the Champs.

Alex wrote the following post at 12/05/2016 3:40 AM:

When Redmond leaves, we''ll watch him and weep at his next club. Mark my words.

Very much agree. If it was a " shop window "''performance as then at least his price will be going up. A very big transfer fee should be heading our way.

A big transfer fee will count for nothing if we sell our best and drift into Championship mediocrity.

I am one of those who think that we should do everything possible to hang on to as many of our current squad as we can.

A team with very narrow defeats against Arsenal and Man. U. cannot be that bad. We were very slightly unfortunate at the Emirates and it was a game and outcome which typified our lack of good fortune from day one of the season.

There are several players I would wish away before we lose NR.

Neil has bought quite badly and the likes of Jarvis, Andreu, Dorrans and Mulumbu do not seem to be automatic promotion players, IMO. Although I retain some semblance of hope that the latter might still come good as I really rated him at WBA.

Sell Redmond and we are selling a big slice of our Premier League credentials, such as they are.

Not wishing him away Broadstairs, far from it in fact. I really hope he stays but I doubt that he will. If he''s off then we must really get big money for him so hopefully he will have another great game at Everton. If a PL side come in for him offering bigger wages I can''t really see why he would stay?

Its insane that some fans still dont rate Redmond.

Hes been out injured, dropped for a period and yet still remains our top scorer. And has assists, too.

Quality player, really hope he stays

So sick of his inconsistency.

A very very good player. Sometimes.

Sell him for a good price and get them thar murrrphees in there!

Fabulous for the first thirty minutes last night. If he had done that more often this season we would certainly not be where we are now.

I don''t buy into this "he was restricted by the manager" nonsense either - last night he was taking players on and running in behind, and cutting in and shooting. Not seen enough of that this season.

BroadstairsR wrote the following post at 12/05/2016 5:54 AM:

Neil has bought quite badly and the likes of Jarvis, Andreu, Dorrans and

Mulumbu do not seem to be automatic promotion players, IMO. Although I

retain some semblance of hope that the latter might still come good as I

really rated him at WBA.

Broadstairs you are wide of the mark with your comments

Those 4 players cost around £5M and have been used as back up to the existing squad

Dorrans looked the part last night and will comfortably cope with the Champs, Jarvis adds pace & cover to our left side where we had none, Mulumbu has been dissappointing yes and Andreu was a £1M gamble that did not come off

3 of them only have 1 year left on there contracts which again highlights the fact that Alex never saw them as long term replacements at the club

To claim that these 4 substantiate your claim that Alex has brought quite badly shows you have no comprehension of the value of a Prem player, perhaps you should go back to FIFA

I think people are concerned that we want to sell him. It isn''t that, it is just, with relegation, the pendulum has swung into his court, and out of the Club''s hands.

He would rip the Championship apart, but he might have bigger things on his mind now.

I''ve been one of his biggest critics, and would love to be able to work, one on one with him, but I wouldn''t want him sold

Ian, why is it ''nonsense'' about the manager restricting him? Do you really think that Redmond has chosen since the Newcastle game to play more defensively by himself? To stroll up the pitch with the ball waiting for those around him to push forward instead of careering down the line and creating something special? To tuck in when he could keep wide and take people on?

It really does bewilder me that still now Norwich fans continue to have a pop at one of our best players, suggesting that a young, attack-minded footballer has, for unknown reasons, decided against playing his natural game. A player who stood by us during the last relegation and gave us one of the greatest moments of happiness in the recent past with that opening goal at Wembley.

Inconsistency is one thing, but it''s hard to build up a head of steam and maintain any form when you spend far too long on the bench or with your feet tied together by a manager who questioned his own Plan A when we got thrashed by Newcastle and reverted to Plan D.

Redmond had four goals in 9 games up to and including the Newcastle game, he managed to net just twice more in 27 appearances thereafter. To think he''s purposefully preventing himself, and in turn the team, from attacking is moronic.

A years contract is barely out of the clubs hand, if they deem him capable we can make use of him next season.

Financially, Whatever transfer fee we''re offered is a fraction of promotion money that we would make IF the club believed he could help us get back up.

Again financially, No Premier League club is going to spend over the odds on someone who''s failed to put consistent performances in, one of the richer championship clubs would be far more likely, and we''d never sell him into the same league.

I don''t think it''s as set in stone as everyone''s expecting. Particularly if the board and management hold the belief that he owes us a better season before leaving.

Google Bot, you''re missing the point that if he wants to leave and we get a decent offer, he will be off. We won''t want a major player in the squad not wanting to be here as it will bring a destabilizing to the squad. If a sought after player wants out there''s little we could do to stop him.

Agreed Alex, Redmond is undoubtedly one of the next English talents to emerge, and whilst it''s always going to be difficult to truly sparkle in a relegated team, he''s certainly shown at times the ability he has. He just needs some consistently. If he lights up the league next year we''d be very happy indeed. I certainly think we should be keeping him on board at all costs, and only letting him leave for some substantial money!