Sign in to follow this  
Thecanaryfan

Bradley Johnson

Pretty much everyone''s favorite choice in midfield I believe. Might we have stayed if we had him during those games where we threw away points at the death?

I really hope Derby win the play offs so we don''t have to face him next season.

Our best player in the Champ campaign and what did the club do?

Yawnnnn. Good player and turned up when it mattered most but never a prem class player. We gave the ball away enough without Bradley Johnson there.

Would love to see him back in yellow and green, big mistake to have sold him during such an unsuccessful window.

No it wasn''t a big mistake. He was a good player but had shown his limitations in the Premiership. Just another stick.

Herman wrote the following post at 14/05/2016 6:31 AM:

No it wasn''t a big mistake. He was a good player but had shown his limitations in the Premiership. Just another stick.

No Herman, not just another stick but just another opinion 😳

Doubt he would have been a regular but there were times when we ended up playing Howson on the left. If Johnson had not been sold he could have done a job there and we could have played Howson alongside Tetty. A far better option I would have thought.

So yes wish we had kept him.

Decent player at championship level and at the time of selling on the close of the window day it looked like really good business, that is until the window closed and we failed to recruit anyone even as good, let alone better. There is no argueing that £6 million is great money for a committed but limited player. What it comes down to again is the failure of recruitment in the transfer window

Do people forget that he played 3 seasons for us in the PL and got some vital goals. It was a mistake especially with injuries and he would have chipped in with the odd goal he was one of the few Norwich players who could shoot on target for one thing. He has had a mixed time at derby and i would have him back in a shot. We have an aging midfield and Tettey may or may not be here next season

He may have done a job for us when we were trying to hold on to a lead but I think people are being influenced by the fact he had an excellent final season with us. Let''s not forget there were plenty of times when he was completely ineffective.

A mate of mine was visiting friends a few months ago and they went to see Derby, after the game their supporters were calling the equivalent of canary call and saying they couldn''t work out how he had gone from looking like the best player they had to the worst.

6 million without knowing we were going to be relegated was, at the time, a great bit of business. The thinking I assume was that Brady''s final ball would become key along with Jerome and eventually the signing of Mbokani giving us an aerial threat.

Now looking back, there were games where as a squad player Johnson would have been a huge player for us. For example games like West Ham at home or Liverpool where we could have made the change to give ourselves a bit of bite and completion (an goal threat) in the midfield in exchange for a more luxury player like Brady.

Would I have him back? For 3 million, yeah let''s do it!

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]Jerome scored 20+ in the Championship while Bassong looked like Bobby Moore.[/quote]

Cameron Jerome looked like Bobby Moore

Is he on the same drug that Michael Jackson was on

When BJ left we lost the one player in the squad who was prepared to shoot,the rest of them want to walk the ball in,Bradley got several gaols from outside the area and we just don''t have anyone quite like that.I''d have him back.

I''d have him back too, should never have been sold, despite the great fee.

Johnson was never good enough for the premiership. That famed bite he brought to the team was because his second touch was often a tackle after he had misplaced a pass or a poor first touch. It was right to sell him at the time and was still the right decision now. Those claiming he could shoot from distance are forgetting his 3 seasons of shanking long shots into the crowd. Yes he scored goals from distance in the championship but so did Jerome and so did Howson, even Russell Martin did. Also look at Johnsons premier league scoring record. It was 6 goals in 3 seasons. This season he only has 5 in the championship and taking his record as a whole would suggest he had his exceptional season and he has returned to his normal level now. We cashed in at the right time.

Previouly I would''ve agree with most on here that BJ wasn''t good enough for the PL, however we never really saw him play on the left in that league as he always played in the middle where he was below average.

However in the championship when played in CM he looked equally as $hit, in an easier division. He excelled on the left and found his position finally.

In hindsight it was a mistake selling him because we could''ve done with him - certainly a handy player to have, especially when the other bench options for winger were Jarvis or VOO.

I shan''t be scared to see him play against us though next season as when he does play, he plays in the middle and he''s $hit there, thats why Derby fans are so disappointed with him. Personally, if it were me I''d put a cheeky £3m bid for him, and I don''t think that would be too far away to what we actually could get back as they might decide to cut their losses.

Yes,it''s all based on hindsight Mrs. If our signings had proved their worth he wouldn''t have got a look in. We got a large sum of money for a championship quality player and at the time it was a good move.

The rumours also cloud my judgement on him. Sad but true.

Indeed, I''m not using it as a stick to beat the club with or anything like that; £6m was and still is a fantastic price to get for him. The only reason why it was seemingly the wrong move in hindsight is that the good money we received from that transfer wasn''t spent.

It did look also like we had made the right decision as Jarvis and Brady worked extremely well for a few games on that left hand side at the start of the season, then Jarvis lost form or got injured and struggled then after.

I would also say though that Jarvis wasn''t a good signing at the time, I know this is where different opinions come in, but as I say when we got him, it wasn''t a good signing, I wasn''t best pleased when we permanently signed him.

Also the point about BJ being a championship player and not a PL one; I would still like to have seen him on the left in the PL to see if that is true, as I said previously he''s not even good enough for us in the championship when played in the middle.

It wasn''t/isn''t just BJ that wasn''t good enough for the Premiership this season......but, we kept hold of the other ''not good enoughs''......I think there were other reasons for his sale, not just ''not good enough''.....

Johnson starts in left midfield for Derby in Playoffs, Snoddy starts for Hull.

Johnson starts in left midfield for Derby in Playoffs, Snoddy starts for Hull.

------------

This could be interesting

fight fight fight

No sky, so just listening on radio, Is Snoddy having a good game, sounds ok from radio.

BJ is only playing due to an injury, so if he was that good, he would have been an automatic start.

Anyone want Snoddy back, watching this?

Imo, they are both good Championship players, not good Prem players

Great (?!!) quote from Don Goodman just now

"You can''t win it today, but you can lose it"

Erm, so.....................