Sign in to follow this  
Haggerdoo

Which players would you get rid of?

Amazed some want to see the back of Ruddy and Bassong in the Championship.Ruddy has played two seasons in the Championship and been promoted both times. Can''t see us easily finding a more solid keeper at this level.We loaned Bassong out to Watford two seasons ago and it nearly cost us promotion, while gifting it to the opposition. Thankfully he returned for half a season.Just because some players struggled in the Premier League doesn''t mean you should bin them in the Championship.

Agree with you anout Bassong Pyro but if we keep Klose and Bennett, there is no place for Bassong. Should Klose go then i would be wary of Bassong leaving as last time we tried replacing him it was a disaster!

Bassong must be out is time for that!

too many unforced errors who lead to goals year after year.

Also his behaviour is not OK joking and kidding all time at game who we face relegation lol.

Whittaker,Odjidja,Andreu,Lafferty seems manager not rate them so not see chance for them to be in his plans.

Redmond,Brady,Klose,Tettey at least 2 out of this 4 sure will gone for me for silly money .

We must try keep some of them but not sure manager have ability to keep them happy and focused in championship.

I''d rather trim the squad to reduce wages rather than get rid of a Naismith or Klose.
I don''t see why we''d keep Andreu, Lafferty or Mulumbu. Offloading Mulumbu might be difficult if he''s on the wages rumoured however. Whittaker? If he''s not in AN''s plans going forwards then probably worth getting rid but we''ll need to replace him.

I have heard a snippet that Bassong is definitely out the door, and that Klose fancies staying....

morty wrote the following post at 13/05/2016 12:24 PM:

I have heard a snippet that Bassong is definitely out the door, and that Klose fancies staying....

Morty hope your right but keep it quite - many of them on this forum only deal in hard facts and this is a snippet ?You dont want to upset anyone

[quote user="Gunthorpe"]

morty wrote the following post at 13/05/2016 12:24 PM:

Morty hope your right but keep it quite - many of them on this forum only deal in hard facts and this is a snippet ?You dont want to upset anyone[/quote]You seriously think upsetting anyone here gives me any worries, whatsoever?

Absolutely key to this is the separation of players for next season in the chump.. and players for the following season (back in the premier league)..

Bassong, Martin, Mulumbu, Dorrans, Ruddy etc would be useful next season - and therefore it may be worth keeping. Then replaced summer 2017.

Klose, Brady, Howson etc would be important to keep for the following season in the pre.

Its only those who don''t fit into either group that need to be sold/released: Turner, Kean, Whittaker, Wolfswinkel, Lafferty.

Good bye:

End of loans - Bamford, Mbokani, Wisdom

Out of contract - Whittaker, Turner

Possibly renew - O''Neill

Please go for a big fee (£12m+) Redmond

Likely to go (£10m) Brady

Any reasonable offer accept - Ruddy, Naismith, Jarvis, Lafferty, Wolf

Hope Naismith stays, could do a decent job for us in the Championship.

I would sell Redmond.

I would ship out Bassong.

Wisdom, Bamford and Mbok will go at the end of their loans.

Let Whitaker go.

Realistically we will lose a couple more. I would not want to lose both Brady and Olsson but one of those will probably go.

So out for me:

Redmond, Bassong, Whitaker, Bamford, Mbokani, Wisdom

If we can keep holf of Klose, Howson, Tettey and at least one of Brady or Olsson and then re-sign O''Neil then we will have a strong squad eve before any other additions.

[quote user="morty"]I have heard a snippet that Bassong is definitely out the door, and that Klose fancies staying....[/quote]Music to thine ears, mortyski [Y]

I would get rid of Whitaker, Lafferty, Turner, Loza, McGrandles, Andreu. Possibly Odjida Ofoe depending on who we have to sell or can bring in.

I would love to keep Redmond, Klose, Howson, Brady, Naismith. Would really like to keep Pinto, Olsson, Dorrans, Jerome, Bennett, Mulumbu, Martin (more as a right back than a centre back), Toffolo, Murphys, Rudd, Hoolahan, Morris. I think that Jarvis and O''Neil are both worth keeping.

Tettey and Ruddy I would honestly consider trying to cash in on if the opportunity arose. They would both be good in the Championship and would be happy if they are in the squad. But with a view to building for the prem I think that we could do better than them and can manage without them in the short term.

Bassong is a weird one in that he is probably would be absolutely fine again in the Championship, but he is obviously not gonna cut it if we went up again, so there is no point in building a team with him at the spine of it. However if he is happy to play second fiddle, I would be happy with him as a squad player.

RVW is an even weirder one as we all know. Honestly I would keep him in the squad and try him out in the champ unless we sign one or two good forwards, but I can see how that would be nuts to some people.

Then in terms of signings I would like us to go for the best centre back and forward we can buy. And when I say ''the best'' I think we should not only look at what they can do for us next season, but also their potential at making an impact on the premiership. If that means we have to take a calculated risk by not buying someone who isn''t the absolute finished article then that would be fine by me. If we can somehow buy the finished article, then even better! If they had some real pace that would be great for looking to build to the Premiership. I would also like us to try to find a quality defensive midfielder who can break up play and then start us moving forward, again with a view to making an impact in the Premiership.

Looking forward to seeing Maddison in pre-season. as well.

this is what I think they call a juxtaposition.

Who you want to get rid of, are mostly likely the hardest ones to get rid of. Anyone remember RVW? Anyone want to get rid of him? Good luck .

First two out of the door have to be Bassong and Martin. The amount of goals and points they have cost us through their individual errors in the last three seasons is unbelievable. They have to be finally held accountable. The only defence i ever hear for these two is that they are ''scapegoats'' which has become the thoughtless mantra of the morons and doesn''t hold water when the evidence is there for all to see on a regular basis. Shame about Martin as he has always been an excellent ambassador for the club, articulate and seems to have a great attitude. But as long as he''s here there will always be the temptation to play him in the centre of defence where he is a constant liability. As for Bassong, i will be doing cartwheels the day he leaves. Weak, lazy, carefree, stealing a living. 6 relegations in 10 years says everything you need to know about him.

Am surprised to see so many wanting rid of Ruddy, Martin, Bassong, the plan surely has to be to build a squad that can get us up again next season and that means keeping players who have the quality and the know how to do so. For me we need to be looking at moving on fringe players and bringing in players that are good enough to challenge the starters alongside integrating a few of the young players. I would look to move on;

Jake Keen- No reason to keep as third choice, Matthews has a little experience now and can sit on the bench if we have injuries.

Steven Whittaker- Good enough for the championship but would rather go with Pinto and Martin and free up his wages for elsewhere in the squad.

Michael Turner- As with Whittaker decent at that level but the squad really needs trimming to save on the wage bill and he would get little game time unless we have injuries.

Ryan Bennett- Decent player but too many injuries to ever play regularly. Every season he gets a run of games and we start to think this is his time to cement a place but it''s always curtailed when the inevitable injury occurs. Saw he has never played more that 15/16 league games a season in 4 1/2 years. Move him on as should get an ok fee to go towards a replacement. I understand the risk of injury for a new player is still there but we have spent long enough waiting for him to reach his potential and it''s time to look elsewhere.

Vadis Odidja Ofoe - Looks like he has a little spark going forward but has neither the work rate or the desire to defend on the odd occasion he has had the opportunity to impress. For the team to progress we need players who will put the work in as well as have a little quality in the final third. After two seasons he hasn''t shown anything to suggest he will step up and play week in week out.

Tony Andreu- No where near the first team, seems he was hit and miss at Rotherham so best for all parties to move him on and save the wages.

Kyle Lafferty- Average Championship player with no real stand out attributes, we need to be looking at players who have one or two areas that stand out such as a pacey finisher and a target man who is more aggressive in the box and wants to attack crosses. Hopefully we can then polish them in other areas and have a good mix of styles and competition for Jerome.

Ricky Van Wolfswinkel- Become a symbol of all our failings, let''s just end this torrid affair and release him, contribute to his wages if we can somehow sell, whatever it takes, it will be cleansing and will denote a fresh start for the team. I admire the hope of some that he will finally succeed but it''s not going to happen in this type of league, he got bullied in the Premiership and would be no different in the championship.

Obviously I hope we keep all the other players including offering O''Neil another year as that gives us a really strong platform to build next season''s squad. I doubt it though so could be a busy summer ahead with lots to keep the forum busy and the rumours flying.

Ruddy - because I think he will anyway

Whittaker - Pinto and Martin are better

Bassong - need to build a new defence and he just isn''t one for the future

Lafferty - barely a Championship striker

RvW - complete pants

I''d probably take a punt on Mulumbu and Vadis getting match fit and see if they can make an impact next season.

Andreu,Bassong,Jarvis,Lafferty,Martin,Mulumbu,O''Neil,Ruddy,Turner,Whittaker,Jerome,Wolfswinkle , other possibles Dorrans and Hoolahan .Out with all the old deadwood that have proved time and time again they just are not good enough and never will be .

[quote user="Yellow Green Army"]OUT: Whittaker, Bassong, Mulumbu, Turner, Lafferty, Wisdom, Bamford, Andreu, Martin, Hoolahan, VanWolfswinkel, Redmond 10million plus

POSSIBLE IN''S: Biram Diouf, Mohammed Diame, Tom Ince, Moussa Dembele, Kieran Tierney, Jordan Ibe (loan), Danny Ings, Tom Lees, Lewis Dunk, Gaston Ramirez, James Ward Prowse,[/quote]

I hate to beat down on your suggestions but Ward Prowse is getting in Saints first team and scored the odd goal or two. Even a loan is unrealistic. Ings was scoring at pool before his injury, even if we were premier league we still wouldn''t be his first choice and that''s provided they don''t want him, which I''m sure they do.

I''m genuinely shocked the amount of people on here that want Ruddy to go. He was woeful before being dropped, but then Declan also showed some signs of inexperience like villa''s second goal where Agbonlahor slid into an empty net. Ruddy came back stronger, and in the champ we''d need more than just Declan. Who could we get alongside Dec who''d be better? I think wait a season and if we''ve been promoted that''s the time.

Mulumbu, Andreu, Whitts and Dorrans (unless Tettey leaves) should go.

Redmond should stay as we''d get a tribunal fee (Burnley got 8m for Ings?) anyway and promotion is worth more than the additional 4m or so we''d hope to get if we sold him vs letting it go to tribunal. Just my 2 cents.

The squad is full of good championship proven winners so I don''t get the need for mass disposals.

Replace those Players that will want to leave and invest in cbs who look like stepping up. Ditto strikers.

However if/when we get promoted be ruthless and dispose, we know that most are not prem class, no more sentimental retaining this time. They won''t improve no matter how good they may be during the season

I think it''s more productive to list which players you want to stay, rather than who should leave.The club needs to focus on building a squad capable of both automatic promotion and thriving in the Premier League. The alternative to squad building lies somewhere between the following two extremes :-1/ We''ll be in a worse position when we''re relegated from the PL in two years time, with an even more aged squad packed full of mercenaries and loanees that can''t wait to leave.2/ We''ll be stuck in the Champs with the parachute money p1$$3d up the wall.In my opinion, if we don''t start building now then it''s highly unlikely that we''ll become an established Premier League side anytime soon.

[quote user="93vintage"]The club needs to focus on building a squad capable of both automatic promotion and thriving in the Premier League.[/quote]How would you go about that?

Assuming we lose Redmond, i''d like to see us build the team around a rotation of Murphy, Murphy, Maddison, Hoolahan and Brady in an attacking three behind the striker. We are in desperate need of a squad revamp, and utilising the promising young players is probably the only cost effective way of doing this in the championship.

Howson, Klose and Ollson are vital to keep hold of, whether we can is the obvious issue though. A spine of Howson, Klose and Rudd will be enough to put us up there whatever happens with the rest of the squad in my opinion. We spent a decent amount on Brady, and with two consecutive relegations on his CV I''m not sure whether anyone will take a pricey punt on him.

The deadwood needs to be trimmed, i''d personally definitely get shot of Andreu, Bassong, Turner, RvW and Whittaker. Bassong and Whittaker can cut it in the championship, but I just feel after so many years that they need to move on

Depending on interest, I wouldn''t care much if we lost one or two of Dorrans, Mulumbu, O''Neil, Jarvis or VOO. All of which can do a very good job in the championship but aren''t in danger of being good enough for anything other than that level in the future. I excluded Jerome from this list, simply because we have so few other options available in his area.

If we were to get rid of Ruddy we would need another first choice. Never getting promoted with Dec in goal.

The bigger problem is going to be convincing certain players to stay in the first place.It''s pretty obvious Redmond''s off. He''s got a year left on his contract, won''t sign a new one, and the money could easily sign a couple of players instead.If Brady bailed on Hull, unless he loves the area he''s unlikely to give us a year.Klose''s premiership class, unless we can loan him out for a year, I doubt he''ll stop.Maybe Naismith will stay, depends if anyone wants him.Then it depends if there''s any interest in Pinto, Olsson, Howson etcA lot will depends on Alex Neil''s conversations with the squad. Whether there''s people who aren''t up for the fight and he tells their agent to find them another club.