Sign in to follow this  
Haggerdoo

Which players would you get rid of?

Whilst the likes of Redmond, Brady, Klose and Naismith may well be targets for other prem clubs surely now''s time to clear out some of the dead wood too.I wouldn''t be too upset to see the back of the following:Bassong (been shocking al season)WhittakerMartinMulumbuBeen disappointed with Jarvis and Jerome too (but both could do a job for us in the Championship).

Ruddy - cost us a lot of games this season due to his terrible ideas. How on earth he made England i''ll never ever know.

We shall not be able to "swop" or replace say 12 or 15 of the squad, - we just don''t have the money, and some we now know are not good enough for the Prem could stop a season in the Championship, players such as Jarvis, Martin, even Jerome.

Those we might send packing immediately, to free up places in the squad and save money on the wage bill, could include Bassong (too many errors now), Ruddy (likewise), Pinto, Whittaker, Mulumbu. I suspect that we would have to sell at very low price to be rid of them.

We need to identify those players who are Ok in the Championship but not good enough for the Premier League.

Assuming Whittaker and Turner''s contracts are not renewed and that Brady and Redmond move on and the loan players return to their clubs I would be happy to see the back of Ruddy, Mulumbu and Naismith.

Should we get promoted and that is far from a given then we should offload Martin, Bassong, Jarvis, Dorrans, Hoolahan, possibly Ofoe depending on what he does this season, O''Neal and Jerome.

However the likelihood that the board would spend the money to invest in sufficient quality to replace this number might be low.

We need to do our utmost to keep Klose.

Crafty Canary wrote the following post at 12/05/2016 3:58 PM:

We need to identify those players who are Ok in the Championship but not good enough for the Premier League.

Assuming Whittaker and Turner''s contracts are not renewed and that

Brady and Redmond move on and the loan players return to their clubs I

would be happy to see the back of Ruddy, Mulumbu and Naismith.

Should we get promoted and that is far from a given then we should

offload Martin, Bassong, Jarvis, Dorrans, Hoolahan, possibly Ofoe

depending on what he does this season, O''Neal and Jerome.

However the likelihood that the board would spend the money to invest in sufficient quality to replace this number might be low.

We need to do our utmost to keep Klose.

I think you will find a lot of those you are suggesting we offload have contracts that expire in 2017 - nil cost to get rid - your wish granted

[quote user="Salopian"]We shall not be able to "swop" or replace say 12 or 15 of the squad, - we just don''t have the money, and some we now know are not good enough for the Prem could stop a season in the Championship, players such as Jarvis, Martin, even Jerome.

Those we might send packing immediately, to free up places in the squad and save money on the wage bill, could include Bassong (too many errors now), Ruddy (likewise), Pinto, Whittaker, Mulumbu. I suspect that we would have to sell at very low price to be rid of them.[/quote]Surprised to see Pinto in your list - has looked decent in last few games - would be a useful asset in the Championship

Whittaker, Andreu, Mulumbu, Bassong, would be my priority list. Frankly I''d forgotten three of them played for us.

I think it''s about time that Martin is pulled back to ''experienced reserve'' as he is too easily exploited by opposition forwards.

Ruddy I think will move on- his star has fallen in Norwich over the last 2 years or so, and I think Rudd will move up in place.

Mason good newsWhitakers contract is up now and the other 3 only have 12 months left on there contracts so they soon will be gone (same with Ruddy I think)HOORAY

Goalkeepers  Ruddy - Time for Ruddy to go. He’s a decent ‘keeper but made too many errors this year and just doesn’t inspire enough confidence any more. We will undoubtedly lose one or the other from Rudd/Ruddy as both deserve first team football and would be better off going with Rudd, as a younger player with more potential to improve. Premiership teams will pay reasonable money for him so let’s cash in while we still can.Rudd - proved himself good enough for the Premiership this year and will be one of the best 2 or 3 keepers in the Championship;  If we go back up at the first attempt and still don’t think Rudd will be up to it, then that will be the time to sign a big-money, top-class ‘keeper; but I think Declan will prove himself worthy given a permanent chance at the No.1 jersey.Kean -  I thought (and still think) he was a waste of money/squad space this season; however as he’s already here and has Championship experience we may as well save on a transfer fee and keep him around as backup next season if one of the other two leaves.Matthews - Developing nicely; another season out on loan for him would be useful.

DefendersWhittaker - Way out of his depth in the top flight, wasn’t spectacular in the Championship last time around either if we’re being honest - he’s a league 1 standard player at best and has no future hereWisdom - I’d like to see us sign him permanently. Seems to have been leapfrogged by other young talents at Liverpool so will probably be cheap, and showed enough promise for me that he could become a great player - a year as a regular starter in the Championship wouldn''t do him any harm at all.Martin - Showed this season that he isn’t Premiership material, but a solid campaigner to keep for next season, although as 4th-choice and backup to new and better signings and relieved of the captaincy.Bassong - Needs to be first out of the door. You can pretty much pin 8-10 lost points this season directly on him, and that’s not scapegoating, it’s sadly just the truth. Too many individual errors. Not good enough, I hope we never see him in a Norwich shirt again.Klose - We need to do everything in our power to keep him. Showed his class before getting injured, and I actually think he might be willing to stay and give it one more season - he joined us because he was fed up sitting on the bench at Wolfsburg; he won’t want to repeat that at another top-half Premiership team and might well prefer a promotion battle to another relegation dogfight. I would actually give him the captain’s armband and make it clear that this is a new era where we expect to be signing players of his quality and above.Bennett - Finally starting to come good on the promise of previous seasons. We need to buy another top-class CB to pair with Klose, but Bennett as the 3rd in line to them would be a very good option.Olsson - May want out having stayed with us last time; but if we can keep him we should - good, solid player who would be hard to replace.Pinto - Huge potential, a season in the Championship could well polish him into an absolute gem.Toffolo - Time to have faith in our youngsters. Keep Toffolo in the first team squad and let him show what he can do; I think he’s got what it takes.Turner - He’s done here; let him go.

MidfieldersHowson - Assuming he wants to stay, he’s essential to us. Needs to be more consistent, but will be outstanding at a lower level next season.Mulumbu - Can’t figure him out at all. Has several years of proven top-flight quality, but a couple of injuries and he can''t get within a mile of the first team for us. If he can get fit, he should be class against Championship opposition; if he’s not them we can’t really afford passengers so he needs to go.Tettey - Would love him to stay but realistically too good to stay with us at this stage of his career; he’ll go to the likes of Stoke or Watford.O’Neil - Not a big fan of him personally, but he certainly showed commitment and effort, which will be needed next season so keep him around.Odjija-Ofoe - Hasn’t done enough to impress. Time to cut our losses and invest his wages in someone better.Redmond - Will want to leave, but we need to hold out for silly money. He’s under contract, so stick a £15-18m price tag on him and refuse to budge. If McCormack is worth £12m, that’s not an unreasonable price, and there are clubs who will pay it on deadline day.Jarvis - Didn’t really bring a lot to the party this season. Would like to see us sign better players; but not a terrible option if we need him; equally wouldn’t shed many tears if he was sold.Dorrans - Ditto Jarvis.Andreu - Not even worth the cost of the ink on his contract. Goodbye.Brady - Similar to Klose, pull out all the stops to keep him. we need his quality, and he’ll tear the Championship apart next year. If we have to sell him, dig in heels and demand silly money - he’s under contract, and we’re under no obligation to sell.Hoolahan - Keep him around for one final season, but it’s time to find his long-term replacement. Skills are still there without a doubt but age catches up with everyone eventually, even Wessi.Thompson - Not sure. Looked decent for Swindon; but not sure if he’s got what it takes to make the step up. Maybe give him a shot and loan him back out if it doesn’t work out.McGrandles - A weird signing in the first place, has looked average in Scottish D1 (so League 2/Conference equivalent). Can’t see a future for him at Carrow Road.Maddison - The new Hoolahan? First team squad and see how he does; if he’s struggling by Christmas, loan him out again - but I think he might be our big breakout star next season.The Murphys - Time to bring them into the fold - if we lose Redmond (and potentially Brady) we’ll need pace out wide. If they’re ever going to make it, it has to be this season; I think they’re good enough but management and fans need to put their faith in them.

ForwardsNaismith - Not sure many other clubs will be coming in for him as he hasn’t really shone since joining us and we’ll presumably want close to what we paid for him back - but I still have faith in him and I think he could be an absolute star next season. Also the kind of character who I think won''t walk out on us or back down from a challenge - Definitely one to keep IMO. Mbokani - Would like to see him stay, but I don’t see it happening. Having said that, he seemed genuinely moved by the good care Norwich took of him after being caught up in the Brussels attacks, and a lot of fans like him - might just be enough to persuade him to stick around? We should definitely make an offer regardless.Jerome - Can score in the Championship. Can’t score in the Premiership. Keep hold of him for now, although we desperately need an upgrade up front.Bamford - Really disappointed in him, failed to impress at Chelsea, Palace and us - clearly not good enough for the top flight, yes he can score in the Championship but there are better options out there to spend money on.Lafferty - Clearly no future here, and will be in demand if he scores at the Euros. Cash in and move on.Van Wolfswinkel - I actually think he could be very successful in the Championship, but it’s pretty clear that neither the majority of the fans nor the manager will give him that chance. As a result, we’d be best to flog him back to Holland for whatever someone will give us for him, and put the whole sorry affair behind us.Loza - A couple of seasons ago I really thought he could be the home-grown striker we’ve been waiting for for years; but it’s just not happened. No goals in 8 for Southend says it all unfortunately - Destined for a career in the lower leagues, which we should let him go to.

Priorities to sign : 1) CB 2) Forward 3) Depends if we can keep Klose and Brady - If not, they will need to be replaced.

[quote user="andyc24_uk"]Goalkeepers  Ruddy - Time for Ruddy to go. He’s a decent ‘keeper but made too many errors this year and just doesn’t inspire enough confidence any more. We will undoubtedly lose one or the other from Rudd/Ruddy as both deserve first team football and would be better off going with Rudd, as a younger player with more potential to improve. Premiership teams will pay reasonable money for him so let’s cash in while we still can.Rudd - proved himself good enough for the Premiership this year and will be one of the best 2 or 3 keepers in the Championship;  If we go back up at the first attempt and still don’t think Rudd will be up to it, then that will be the time to sign a big-money, top-class ‘keeper; but I think Declan will prove himself worthy given a permanent chance at the No.1 jersey.Kean -  I thought (and still think) he was a waste of money/squad space this season; however as he’s already here and has Championship experience we may as well save on a transfer fee and keep him around as backup next season if one of the other two leaves.Matthews - Developing nicely; another season out on loan for him would be useful.

DefendersWhittaker - Way out of his depth in the top flight, wasn’t spectacular in the Championship last time around either if we’re being honest - he’s a league 1 standard player at best and has no future hereWisdom - I’d like to see us sign him permanently. Seems to have been leapfrogged by other young talents at Liverpool so will probably be cheap, and showed enough promise for me that he could become a great player - a year as a regular starter in the Championship wouldn''t do him any harm at all.Martin - Showed this season that he isn’t Premiership material, but a solid campaigner to keep for next season, although as 4th-choice and backup to new and better signings and relieved of the captaincy.Bassong - Needs to be first out of the door. You can pretty much pin 8-10 lost points this season directly on him, and that’s not scapegoating, it’s sadly just the truth. Too many individual errors. Not good enough, I hope we never see him in a Norwich shirt again.Klose - We need to do everything in our power to keep him. Showed his class before getting injured, and I actually think he might be willing to stay and give it one more season - he joined us because he was fed up sitting on the bench at Wolfsburg; he won’t want to repeat that at another top-half Premiership team and might well prefer a promotion battle to another relegation dogfight. I would actually give him the captain’s armband and make it clear that this is a new era where we expect to be signing players of his quality and above.Bennett - Finally starting to come good on the promise of previous seasons. We need to buy another top-class CB to pair with Klose, but Bennett as the 3rd in line to them would be a very good option.Olsson - May want out having stayed with us last time; but if we can keep him we should - good, solid player who would be hard to replace.Pinto - Huge potential, a season in the Championship could well polish him into an absolute gem.Toffolo - Time to have faith in our youngsters. Keep Toffolo in the first team squad and let him show what he can do; I think he’s got what it takes.Turner - He’s done here; let him go.

MidfieldersHowson - Assuming he wants to stay, he’s essential to us. Needs to be more consistent, but will be outstanding at a lower level next season.Mulumbu - Can’t figure him out at all. Has several years of proven top-flight quality, but a couple of injuries and he can''t get within a mile of the first team for us. If he can get fit, he should be class against Championship opposition; if he’s not them we can’t really afford passengers so he needs to go.Tettey - Would love him to stay but realistically too good to stay with us at this stage of his career; he’ll go to the likes of Stoke or Watford.O’Neil - Not a big fan of him personally, but he certainly showed commitment and effort, which will be needed next season so keep him around.Odjija-Ofoe - Hasn’t done enough to impress. Time to cut our losses and invest his wages in someone better.Redmond - Will want to leave, but we need to hold out for silly money. He’s under contract, so stick a £15-18m price tag on him and refuse to budge. If McCormack is worth £12m, that’s not an unreasonable price, and there are clubs who will pay it on deadline day.Jarvis - Didn’t really bring a lot to the party this season. Would like to see us sign better players; but not a terrible option if we need him; equally wouldn’t shed many tears if he was sold.Dorrans - Ditto Jarvis.Andreu - Not even worth the cost of the ink on his contract. Goodbye.Brady - Similar to Klose, pull out all the stops to keep him. we need his quality, and he’ll tear the Championship apart next year. If we have to sell him, dig in heels and demand silly money - he’s under contract, and we’re under no obligation to sell.Hoolahan - Keep him around for one final season, but it’s time to find his long-term replacement. Skills are still there without a doubt but age catches up with everyone eventually, even Wessi.Thompson - Not sure. Looked decent for Swindon; but not sure if he’s got what it takes to make the step up. Maybe give him a shot and loan him back out if it doesn’t work out.McGrandles - A weird signing in the first place, has looked average in Scottish D1 (so League 2/Conference equivalent). Can’t see a future for him at Carrow Road.Maddison - The new Hoolahan? First team squad and see how he does; if he’s struggling by Christmas, loan him out again - but I think he might be our big breakout star next season.The Murphys - Time to bring them into the fold - if we lose Redmond (and potentially Brady) we’ll need pace out wide. If they’re ever going to make it, it has to be this season; I think they’re good enough but management and fans need to put their faith in them.

ForwardsNaismith - Not sure many other clubs will be coming in for him as he hasn’t really shone since joining us and we’ll presumably want close to what we paid for him back - but I still have faith in him and I think he could be an absolute star next season. Also the kind of character who I think won''t walk out on us or back down from a challenge - Definitely one to keep IMO. Mbokani - Would like to see him stay, but I don’t see it happening. Having said that, he seemed genuinely moved by the good care Norwich took of him after being caught up in the Brussels attacks, and a lot of fans like him - might just be enough to persuade him to stick around? We should definitely make an offer regardless.Jerome - Can score in the Championship. Can’t score in the Premiership. Keep hold of him for now, although we desperately need an upgrade up front.Bamford - Really disappointed in him, failed to impress at Chelsea, Palace and us - clearly not good enough for the top flight, yes he can score in the Championship but there are better options out there to spend money on.Lafferty - Clearly no future here, and will be in demand if he scores at the Euros. Cash in and move on.Van Wolfswinkel - I actually think he could be very successful in the Championship, but it’s pretty clear that neither the majority of the fans nor the manager will give him that chance. As a result, we’d be best to flog him back to Holland for whatever someone will give us for him, and put the whole sorry affair behind us.Loza - A couple of seasons ago I really thought he could be the home-grown striker we’ve been waiting for for years; but it’s just not happened. No goals in 8 for Southend says it all unfortunately - Destined for a career in the lower leagues, which we should let him go to.

Priorities to sign : 1) CB 2) Forward 3) Depends if we can keep Klose and Brady - If not, they will need to be replaced.[/quote]Excellent comprehensive response - pretty much agree with most of that apart from O''Neil who I feel shows great leadership and should possibly be considered as captain next season

Rudd has proven himself Prem standard but Whittaker is League 1.

Lol.

[quote user="GJP"]Rudd has proven himself Prem standard but Whittaker is League 1.

Lol.[/quote]

Very strange thing to LOL at?

Superb squad analysis imo, agree with pretty much all of it, including giving RVW an opportunity next season.

The thought of building a team around Dorrans is a very daunting thought. A great squad player though tbf.

Dec Rudd didn''t look good enough. Let in so many goal by not making himself big enough - it''s like he wants them to score as he opens the goal up.

Although Ruddy has looked much better since coming back into th team, I still think we can do better.

The only players we should be looking to get rid of are;

Whitts (free)

Andreu

Mulumbu

If we have the funds to keep everyone as well as add a top championship striker then we will go up in 1st place. Keeping everyone is wishful thinking though I fear.

Really hoping the club does everything in its power to keep the likes of Klose, Redmond, Pinto. "Give it a year" in the words of the great Claudio to his Leicester players. "If we don''t go straight back up then you can leave"

Also we must use this year in the Chump as a chance to bring in the Murphys and others, to get them ready for the Premier League.

Finally so long and thanks for all the fish Ruddy and Bassong.

Re Ruddy....

Quite a few want Ruddy to leave, IMO he is a better keeper than Rudd, certainly more commanding. Do you really think Rudd should be our number 1 next season? If not then who should we bring in?

A little birdie told me yesterday the Ruddy is definitely leaving in the summer. No real surprise I guess.

I guess that''s no surprise, after being dropped and the criticism he has received this season, sad to see him go. I guess that means Rudd would be our number one, as I can''t see him wanting to be an understudy again after his starts in the premier. Still think we should buy a proven keeper.

I was watching the players at the end on Wednesday to get some sort of indication of those who might be waving goodbye to the fans and got the impression that Ruddy was doing exactly that.

Bassong and Mulumbu were too busy laughing and joking with each other that it was difficult to tell how bothered they were about being relegated. That really annoyed me.

andyc24_uk i would agree with pretty much all that. Would keep rm at rb to challenge pinto/ give a more defensive option, but give howson the armband.

You forgot Morris as well. I think he has a big chance of making an impact next season. Got the all round game to suit the 4231 system we play.

mrs miggins wrote the following post at 12/05/2016 9:03 PM:

The thought of building a team around Dorrans is a very daunting thought. A great squad player though tbf.

Dec Rudd didn''t look good enough. Let in so many goal by not making

himself big enough - it''s like he wants them to score as he opens the

goal up.

Although Ruddy has looked much better since coming back into th team, I still think we can do better.

The only players we should be looking to get rid of are;

Whitts (free)

Andreu

Mulumbu

If we have the funds to keep everyone as well as add a top

championship striker then we will go up in 1st place. Keeping everyone

is wishful thinking though I fear.

Miggins agree with your view, only 2 more to addLaffertyWolf Neil will not play either so need them off the books

OUT: Whittaker, Bassong, Mulumbu, Turner, Lafferty, Wisdom, Bamford, Andreu, Martin, Hoolahan, VanWolfswinkel, Redmond 10million plus

POSSIBLE IN''S: Biram Diouf, Mohammed Diame, Tom Ince, Moussa Dembele, Kieran Tierney, Jordan Ibe (loan), Danny Ings, Tom Lees, Lewis Dunk, Gaston Ramirez, James Ward Prowse,

Get real this is Norwich players under contract will not be bought out maybe sent out on loan with us playing proportion of salaries if we can find teams to take them on.

Certainly we have some under performers however they still have careers to consider and will try their best in Champs even if they will not make it in Champs.

Vadis is a good player unlucky with injury but needs game time could easily replace Redmond as right sided midfield.

The ins are unreasonable and unaffordable.

The areas needing recruitment is at the back two competent CB''s required see who fails in Play Off''s. Klose future depends on the contract he signed has he relegation opt out like Naismith if not put a silly price on his head and deter suitors Klose will be key to any success proper CB''s are thin on the ground.

Three or four signings likely but depends on fees received for leavers.

I see the mad genius Ibra is now available to replace Cameron Jerome. He would be worth it just for the quotes, such as his latest:"I came like a king. I leave as a legend."

Should be looking to keep players rather than get rid.

Some are going anyway so only Whittaker and Andreu.

Not giving up on Mulumbu, looked excellent before he got injured then couldn''t get started.

Pete, I doubt whether any CBs from the play off losers will be sold to us, their direct competitors next season. They may have been an option if we''d stayed up.