Sign in to follow this  
Row D Seat 7

Result Predictions & Final Table

Agreed. I Just find that quote from the book quite amusing. I don''t know how old the book is but modern football just doesn''t work that way. In my opinion for us to have any chance of beating Arsenal at the weekend all of our players and management team have to be at the top of their game with 100% commitment and concentration. Arsenal will also need to be slightly off their game as they were yesterday. If both teams turn up and play to the best of their ability then we lose the match. That''s nowhere near a flip of a coin!!

[quote user="JF"]Lol! To suggest the outcome of this weekends game might as well be decided on a flip of a coin is quite frankly the most unrealistic comment in the thread! There is no way you could ever say that the odds of a Norwich win are equal to an Arsenal win and the bookies odds will be nowhere near close. With comments like that I''m amazed the book got published!![/quote] You may be amazed JF; others might be amazed you can be so dogmatic without reading the book, the subtitle of which is "Why everything you believe about football is wrong".  Maybe you need to read it.  [;)]

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]nutty nigel wrote: "The thing is that I am a happy clapper, others are miserable whingers. Realism supports neither group."Nutty is right. The true realist understands that, as the authors of The Numbers Game

put it (pages 62-63), "Football, both scoring goals and favourites

winning, is a 50/50 proposition. The game you see this weekend 

.................  might as well be decided by the flip of a coin".

Given which, neither optimism or pessimism is justified and the true realist

will just shrug his shoulders, enjoy his pint, and wait to see what

happens. Beer [B][/quote]
What a load of balls.
For a start, a coin toss is heads or tails.  Football matches are win, lose or draw - three potential results to a coin toss''s two.

[quote user="Katie Borkins"][quote user="westcoastcanary"]nutty nigel wrote: "The thing is that I am a happy clapper, others are miserable whingers. Realism supports neither group."Nutty is right. The true realist understands that, as the authors of The Numbers Game

What a load of balls.
For a start, a coin toss is heads or tails.  Football matches are win, lose or draw - three potential results to a coin toss''s two.
[/quote] This board appears to be largely populated by people who clearly think they know it all and nobody can teach them anything. Instead of rushing in to condemn something as a load of balls why not read the book first? Then you might understand exactly why it isn''t a load of balls and the evidence backing it up. [Y]

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="Katie Borkins"][quote user="westcoastcanary"]nutty nigel wrote: "The thing is that I am a happy clapper, others are miserable whingers. Realism supports neither group."Nutty is right. The true realist understands that, as the authors of The Numbers Game

What a load of balls.
[/quote] This board appears to be largely populated by people who clearly think they know it all and nobody can teach them anything. Instead of rushing in to condemn something as a load of balls why not read the book first? Then you might understand exactly why it isn''t a load of balls and the evidence backing it up. [Y][/quote]
If your quote from the book is accurate, and it is a 50/50 proposition, then I don''t need to read it to know that it''s balls.  This isn''t American football where there are no draws.
There are three possible results and therefore it cannot be 50/50.

I''ve actually read the book, albeit some years ago, and it''s certainly not a load of balls.

I don''t remember that particular statement I must admit but I do remember the statistics showing that a defensively strong team is more likely to be successful than a team that is good at attacking.

I think we could all agree that we are living proof of that this year!

@Bor
It''s not a question of whether the quote is accurate, but whether you have bothered to read it carefully. You will see that what is said to be a 50/50 proposition is "the favourites winning". A team playing a match either wins or it doesn''t; it is irrelevant whether "it doesn''t win" is due to it losing or drawing. The chapter from which the quote is taken is an analysis of the role of luck in the outcome of football matches. Before vesting confidence in whatever odds the bookies might offer on a particular match, you might reflect that they are in it to make money out of you. If you''re a betting man, a firmer grip on the reality of it might save you a bit.
Did you have money on Spurs beating West Brom tonight? Oh well, never mind. Arsenal are dead certs to beat us on Sunday and you''ll easily get those losses back ....... [;)]

Mr Jenkins wrote the following post at 25/04/2016 8:20 AM:This is not the sort of news I want to hear on a Monday morning Mrs. Miggins. I hope you change your mind but I''m sure you have good reasons for retiring, I don''t post much any more to be honest but still look at what''s going on from time to time. You''ll have to start a farewell thread so that we can all say goodbye when you do finish. One day I hope you will come to appreciate what an "excellent " manager Neil Adams really is!😄😄

------------------------------------------------

Cheers J, I''m don''t know the reason for leaving, I just feel like I''ve posted enough on here and it''s time to stop; I''ve said all I wanted to say. It''s not because I don''t enjoy it or that I think the forum has gone downhill, because it hasn''t.

I''ll have a think about the farewell thread, if its not too self indulgent.

[quote user="Katie Borkins"][quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="Katie Borkins"][quote user="westcoastcanary"]nutty nigel wrote: "The thing is that I am a happy clapper, others are miserable whingers. Realism supports neither group."Nutty is right. The true realist understands that, as the authors of The Numbers Game

What a load of balls.
[/quote] This board appears to be largely populated by people who clearly think they know it all and nobody can teach them anything. Instead of rushing in to condemn something as a load of balls why not read the book first? Then you might understand exactly why it isn''t a load of balls and the evidence backing it up. [Y][/quote]
If your quote from the book is accurate, and it is a 50/50 proposition, then I don''t need to read it to know that it''s balls.  This isn''t American football where there are no draws.
There are three possible results and therefore it cannot be 50/50.
[/quote]Well actually Bor, there are. If games are still level at the end of overtime it becomes a tie.

FenwayFrank wrote the following post at 29/04/2016 5:57 PM:

Mrs M is going to do a Reginald Perrin

---------------------------

Is that when he goes naked on the beach?

[quote user="Iwans Big Toe"]Arsenal 1 - 0 NorwichNorwich 2 - 1 Man UtdNorwich 1- 0 WatfordThen with our fate in our own hands on the final dayEverton 6 - 0 NorwichAnd the final table will look something like this:Sunderland 38-----------------Norwich 37Newcastle 37Aston Villa 17[/quote]One down, three to go.

[quote user="Iwans Big Toe"][quote user="Iwans Big Toe"]Arsenal 1 - 0 NorwichNorwich 2 - 1 Man UtdNorwich 1- 0 WatfordThen with our fate in our own hands on the final dayEverton 6 - 0 NorwichAnd the final table will look something like this:Sunderland 38-----------------Norwich 37Newcastle 37Aston Villa 17[/quote]One down, three to go.

[/quote]Well I was a tad optimistic with our end of season chances. It would seem that I was verging towards happy clapper territory. :)

[quote user="morty"][quote user="AmericanNorwichFan"]Why does everyone think Everton are so formidable? They have 17 pts from 17 home games. That''s worse than us. They have conceded 30 goals and only scored 29. And they are injury hit and in wretched form.[/quote]Because they can''t see past negativity about the team they, allegedly, support?[/quote]

Lol.